Post-Game Talk: Tipped Off | Oilers lose series 3-1

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just realized Matthews scored the GWG yesterday from almost where Nurse missed the net from in the last second. :confused:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nurse would be a great OFD if he could ever hit the net.

Does he need glasses?

Is this a Wild Thing situation a-la Major League?
I remember the puck used to slide over to Nurse's side of the ice, and he'd beat the goalie clean. Even then, he didnt do it often enough but this series he was shooting but not hitting the net it seemed

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I remember the puck used to slide over to Nurse's side of the ice, and he'd beat the goalie clean. Even then, he didnt do it often enough but this series he was shooting but not hitting the net it seemed

That was this whole season.

Again maybe he needs glasses?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah I saw that comment from Spector as well and laughed out loud. He's a complete, unadulterated, idiot though, so it's not surprising.
Here are the 5 vs 5 numbers:

Shots for:

Edmonton 99 Chicago 83

Scoring Chances for:

Edmonton 92 Chicago 75

High Danger Scoring Chances for:

Edmonton 48 Chicago 31

Now Chicago did outplay them badly in game 1, primarily in the first period. Here are the numbers for games 2-4

Shots for:

Edmonton 80 Chicago 55

Scoring Chances for:

Edmonton 74 Chicago 52

Edmonton 44 Chicago 25

That's not getting completely out played at 5 vs 5 for the whole series.

Chicago worked very hard for the series win. But they also got very lucky as a lot of the bounces went their way. Both things can happen simultaneously.

Last edited:

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Why pay for alcohol or therapy when you can work through the pain with memes?

8As2EbI.jpg

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You aren't wrong with your last two posts but I think you're ignoring just how difficult the task is given the context. It's hard to get in the swing of things with 1 preseason game, the Hawks have a veteran and winning core, the Hawks got more calls, and shit happens. It's not like Pens don't know how to win either. The Oilers were more likely to have these lapses than many teams just look at the core:
McDavid - U25
Draisaitl - U25, second playoffs
Hopkins - Second playoffs, I thought he was excellent
Yamamoto - Rookie
Athanasiou - Maybe a core guy going forward but he was coming from a losing team and was still adjusting. 25.
Nurse - First season being hard matched against toughs and succeeding, 25.
Bear - Rookie
Klefbom - Coming off an injury, second playoffs. Should have been better
Larsson - Got hurt, may of been hurt in the games he played. Wonky back.
Koskinen - 1st playoffs, sophmore in NHL, not a strong #1.
This is not a veteran or experienced core. They didn't get the bounces. I was disappointed but I don't think the team was all that bad nor do I think effort was an issue. Only Hopkins, Klefbom, and Larsson are in their prime. Even McDavid and Draisaitl are still learning how to become more complete players. Not to say you can't win with them already, but the Oilers don't have that veteran 2way center they can lean on instead. Draisaitl is almost there, and in all honesty took steps this playoff to being it, but he's still learning lessons and at his age that's reasonable. They got bad luck but and could have done more to help that but their best days are ahead of them still.
The veteran/experience card is a cop-out and I'm not buying it. Any team can play your game:
Kubalik - rookie, 1st NHL playoff game: 5 points, GWG in elimination game
Highmore - rookie, game-tying goal in game 3, scored in elimination game
Dach - 18 years old, 20 minutes a night
DeBrincat - U25, 1st playoffs, 3 points in 4 games
Murphy - 1st playoffs, thrown into top-pairing minutes, 25 min toi in elimination game
Crawford - less than a week of preparation because he was recovering from COVID-19

Experience didn't beat the Oilers. The Oilers beat the Oilers. Bad coaching, bad defense and bad goaltending. Experience has nothing to do with any of those things, except for the fact that our coach was much, much more experienced than Chicago's.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wonder what they will do with their drive in watch area now? Just leave the plywood down for a parking lot for next year? Otherwise it was a giant waste of time.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The veteran/experience card is a cop-out and I'm not buying it. Any team can play your game:
Murphy - 1st playoffs, thrown into top-pairing minutes, 25 min toi in elimination game
Crawford - less than a week of preparation because he was recovering from COVID-19

Experience didn't beat the Oilers. The Oilers beat the Oilers. Bad coaching, bad defense and bad goaltending. Experience has nothing to do with any of those things, except for the fact that our coach was much, much more experienced than Chicago's.

It's almost as if you didn't read my post or the comments it was in reply to and just skimmed over it. It's also odd how you didn't list and compare the Hawks in the same way instead going apples to oranges. I don't think you got my point and I'm not sure you even tried to get it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Shots for:

Edmonton 99 Chicago 83

Scoring Chances for:

Edmonton 92 Chicago 75

Edmonton 48 Chicago 31

Now Chicago did outplay them badly in game 1, primarily in the first period. Here are the numbers for games 2-4

Shots for:

Edmonton 80 Chicago 55

Scoring Chances for:

Edmonton 74 Chicago 52

Edmonton 44 Chicago 25

M mom Chicago worked very hard for the series win. But they also got very lucky as a lot of the bounces went their way. Both things can happen simultaneously.

This should be reposted on the mains. That place is insufferable right now.

I haven’t even watched any hockey since we lost and I love this sport so much. The Oilers are trying their damn best to make me not even like this sport anymore. They’ll never succeed but damn if they aren’t trying their best

Reactions: Duke74 and TB12

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Shots for:

Edmonton 99 Chicago 83

Scoring Chances for:

Edmonton 92 Chicago 75

Edmonton 48 Chicago 31

Shots for:

Edmonton 80 Chicago 55

Scoring Chances for:

Edmonton 74 Chicago 52

Edmonton 44 Chicago 25

Chicago worked very hard for the series win. But they also got very lucky as a lot of the bounces went their way. Both things can happen simultaneously.
more evidence the Oilers beat themselves...seemed like every Hawks chance was a Grade A chance plus the Oilers seems to score on themselves on every other Hawks goal

Reactions: Mav3rick07

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just realized Matthews scored the GWG yesterday from almost where Nurse missed the net from in the last second. :confused:

Is that fair? One guy is arguably a top-3 goal scorer in the entire league, another guy is a physical dman with very little offensive ability. Put Drai in Nurse's spot and maybe we are having a different conversation.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Shots for:

Edmonton 99 Chicago 83

Scoring Chances for:

Edmonton 92 Chicago 75

Edmonton 48 Chicago 31

Shots for:

Edmonton 80 Chicago 55

Scoring Chances for:

Edmonton 74 Chicago 52

Edmonton 44 Chicago 25

These stats should be pinned up on the main Oilers forum so posters can see them every time they log in. Yes, Chicago played quite good for them and in a way deserve the win. But they also got very lucky, as did Montreal btw. Stats are clumpy, it isn't surprising that in a 5 game series you would have such strange statistical outcomes as the Montreal and Chicago series, although I've long stopped trying to get people to understand that stats are clumpy, its an understanding that most people just can't wrap their heads around (there are actual scientific studies showing how foreign this concept is to people).

The Oilers have areas they need to improve on, but in general, the team this year was pretty darn good (way better than I thought they would be), and we took a good step in the right direction. I know people don't want to hear that right now, but its the truth.

Reactions: Samus44

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Well, well. Your “character” knife was out for Taylor Hall and now you’re after Connor and Leon. So predictable.
Culture, leadership, culture, leadership, cultship, leaderture...

on repeat until the end of time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The bolded is pure denial and I suspect you might be younger. This seems to occur so much now wheere the value of seasoned experience is overlooked whether it be hockey or anything. Yet experience through recorded hockey history has been of value. Its good to have a SC dynastic vet core in your lineup. Those players know how to win, thats undeniable.

Next, you lost off those hawks players as if they are nothing.

Fact of the matter is we don't have anything close to a Debrincat. He's far better than Yama will likely ever be. So is Kubalik, better rook than anything we've found in years.

Dach-Of more value than Kass, Khaira, Archibald, Haas combined. We have zero players with this kind of moxy, physicality, he's a heat seeking missile that is punishingly strong, he's going to absolutely dominate players for years. I see a Dustin Brown kind of player here.

Highmore- As good as any young forward player we have (not many)

Murphy- Already looked better than any D we have.

Crawford-Obviously miles better than any G we have.

This is not just a case of players for one team rising up more than another. Chicago had far better depth before this season started. While Edmonton constantly flubs drafts, or trades picks away, or picks up other clubs nothng discarded players on the cheap, Chicago is raising high quality players. What do we have in the lineup to show for our last 5 drafts?

One org, run better than the Oilers for decades, accruing better talent than we are. One team having better vision than we do and putting better supporting cast on ice. Chicago isn't filling their lineup with 8 scrubs every night. These are useful players that can realistically be expected to be good. The Oilers are putting players like Sheahan, Kassian, Khaira, Haas, AA, Ennis, Old Smith, on the ice. Finally you couldn't trade any combo of Oilers D, even 4 of them, for Duncan Keith.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00