Post-Game Talk: Tipped Off | Oilers lose series 3-1

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sheer talent and ability is obviously a big part of the equation but I do think people really underestimate the power and importance of some intangibles (ie leadership/culture). They play a massive role in motivation, unity, tightness as a group ON the ice and proper mental focus/sharpness and coordinated physical efforts. All those things will have a huge effect on how close to the top potential a team can play to on a consistent basis.
It wasn’t McDavid or Draisaitl’s fault, and this is coming from somebody who has no problem calling them out and have done so repeatedly in the past. McDavid was engaged defensively. Drai still scored goals.

If you want to actually blame star players who didn’t play well, blame Crosby and Malkin. There’s a legitimate case of not showing up.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
True, although he will be old by the time they contend. They may value young pieces a bit more. There is also the small chance an offer sheet coild be made to tampa on Point, assuming they will still have cap problems.

Hey, I'm making phone calls to Anaheim if I'm Holland for SURE. I think your idea is a great idea actually. He fits 2 needs for us: a winger who plays great defense and who scores goals. He would be a PERFECT fit with 97 to be honest. I just don't see Anaheim trading him. Maybe if we offered our 1st rounder plus a good prospect like Bouchard? Not sure if that would be enough, but I think that is where the conversation would start.

Reactions: oilers2020

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but COVID will most likely be over (one way or the other) in another year or so. The USD/CAD exchange rate is a good argument though, I'll give you that.

Just saying, it’s not as clear cut as you might think. That’s also a reason why it’s not impossible that Pietrangelo would consider a Canadian team.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It wasn’t McDavid or Draisaitl’s fault, and this is coming from somebody who has no problem calling them out and have done so repeatedly in the past. McDavid was engaged defensively. Drai still scored goals.

If you want to actually blame star players who didn’t play well, blame Crosby and Malkin. There’s a legitimate case of not showing up.

I agree to a certain degree. Neither were bad this series other than Connor being bad in game 1. But they also weren't good enough (there's more playing well than just point production). I'm more upset that this team as a whole really did not show up with much more urgency... and I do feel this is partly a leadership thing. And Connor and Drai are leaders of this team. Again they weren't bad... but they didn't step it up as well....until they were down with 7-8 mins did you see some pop in their step and urgency.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yup, 30-35% of hockey is luck, and we didn't have any this series. Chicago fans will say I'm making excuses, but that is the reality of what happened. The two teams play was very even actually. We scored like 3 goals on ourselves, and they didn't. They got about 3 lucky/garbage goals, compared to our 2. Those 2 things are really the series in a nutshell.

Would give Chicago a bit more credit here because it was clear they scouted us and exploited our poor defensive play in our zone. They were constantly doing things that left our forwards in no mans land. We never figured out how to either cover the points or tie up chicago's guys around the net. Just forwards coasting around and our D obsessed with blocking/tipping shots and ignoring guys around our net.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I agree to a certain degree. Neither were bad this series other than Connor being bad in game 1. But they also weren't good enough (there's more playing well than just point production). I'm more upset that this team as a whole really did not show up with much more urgency... and I do feel this is partly a leadership thing. And Connor and Drai are leaders of this team. Again they weren't bad... but they didn't step it up as well....until they were down with 7-8 mins did you see some pop in their step and urgency.
You can break down the loss pretty easily. Bad coaching, lack of depth, bad defending, average goaltending, bad bounces at the worst times, inability to score clutch goals.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I hope Rishaug gets the inside scoop on McDavid’s exit interview.
" so Connor. Based on that one shift you had at.the end with AA do you think you would want him as.your linemate next.season. i cant really qualify him to play bottom 6. Option B is Puljujarvi ."

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Would give Chicago a bit more credit here because it was clear they scouted us and exploited our poor defensive play in our zone. They were constantly doing things that left our forwards in no mans land. We never figured out how to either cover the points or tie up chicago's guys around the net. Just forwards coasting around and our D obsessed with blocking/tipping shots and ignoring guys around our net.
I wouldn't say Chicago did anything special. They just played slightly better than scrimmage hockey games and we couldn't be bothered. Our forwards would be in no man's land and our d playing goalie instead of defense anyways because that's just what they do. Chicago didn't find some secret flaw, they found the Oilers.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
Absolutely. Now we all saw the vid where Connor supposedly said "f*** off kass" for being a bit of a chicken or just not knowing the angles and was way off on a shot block attempt that led to a goal against. How can your captain and leader demand better play from his players when he himself is not playing up to standards as far as consistent effort/urgency level and responsible play?

Now I'm going to speculate as well. This general poor leadership and culture we've had for a decade now speaks partly to the players obviously but also to the higher ups who allow it to fester. The likes of Katz and Lowe etc have been a constant here. I think there's a culture of those guys who run the show and have been here for a long time to protect and pamper and allow too long a leash for their superstars or star players (ie connor, leon etc) and there is certainly a double standard. They keep doing so until it's too late. They basically want to make these stars feel good /comfortable and to want to stay in Edmonton. Understandable but what happens is you actually allow these players to potentially not be complete players who have good habits and are winners. We hear about other orgs who are very hard and demanding on their top players even when they put up great numbers. There's just that extra/higher level of standards that transcends point production. Leadership and effort level and attention to details/defence is equally as important for those organizations and they don't give a cr** who they have to call out.

It really seems like this org is very adverse to calling out drai and connor and you can bet there have been many games where they really really needed to be called out for complete cr** efforts. Even when tippett does do it, it's very meek and vague and will always end with excuses for them. I get it, they're your horses and they carry the offence but at some point in time there needs to be way more from them as far as overall game and showing up with urgency as leaders.

I understand we dont know what happens behind closed doors and maybe they do get called out there... but if they do, they really don't seem to be learning all that quickly. It's always the same spiel after games. We just didn't come out ready, our urgency wasn't there, we weren't engaged or intense enough etc etc.

I spoke to 3 people today who aren't really hockey fans and don't watch much. All of them said almost exactly the same thing about the bits of the play in games they saw. "Oilers don't seem to try very hard. The hawks have so much space while Oilers just gliding around. I thought Connor and Leon were supposed to be really good?"

Say what!? Where is that video?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Going into the series, my biggest worry was Kane. He had a very average (for him) series, and wasn’t really the deciding factor for them in any of their wins, and we still only beat them once.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Going into the series, my biggest worry was Kane. He had a very average (for him) series, and wasn’t really the deciding factor for them in any of their wins, and we still only beat them once.
Imagine if playoff Kane showed up for the series .

Woulda been a sweep.

Reactions: bellagiobob

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Absolutely. Now we all saw the vid where Connor supposedly said "f*** off kass" for being a bit of a chicken or just not knowing the angles and was way off on a shot block attempt that led to a goal against. How can your captain and leader demand better play from his players when he himself is not playing up to standards as far as consistent effort/urgency level and responsible play?

Now I'm going to speculate as well. This general poor leadership and culture we've had for a decade now speaks partly to the players obviously but also to the higher ups who allow it to fester. The likes of Katz and Lowe etc have been a constant here. I think there's a culture of those guys who run the show and have been here for a long time to protect and pamper and allow too long a leash for their superstars or star players (ie connor, leon etc) and there is certainly a double standard. They keep doing so until it's too late. They basically want to make these stars feel good /comfortable and to want to stay in Edmonton. Understandable but what happens is you actually allow these players to potentially not be complete players who have good habits and are winners. We hear about other orgs who are very hard and demanding on their top players even when they put up great numbers. There's just that extra/higher level of standards that transcends point production. Leadership and effort level and attention to details/defence is equally as important for those organizations and they don't give a cr** who they have to call out.

It really seems like this org is very adverse to calling out drai and connor and you can bet there have been many games where they really really needed to be called out for complete cr** efforts. Even when tippett does do it, it's very meek and vague and will always end with excuses for them. I get it, they're your horses and they carry the offence but at some point in time there needs to be way more from them as far as overall game and showing up with urgency as leaders.

I understand we dont know what happens behind closed doors and maybe they do get called out there... but if they do, they really don't seem to be learning all that quickly. It's always the same spiel after games. We just didn't come out ready, our urgency wasn't there, we weren't engaged or intense enough etc etc.

I spoke to 3 people today who aren't really hockey fans and don't watch much. All of them said almost exactly the same thing about the bits of the play in games they saw. "Oilers don't seem to try very hard. The hawks have so much space while Oilers just gliding around. I thought Connor and Leon were supposed to be really good?"

Let me guess. This is gonna be one of those narratives you're gonna keep pushing and then suggesting those 2 need to be traded, amirite? smh

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

We could play those 4 games another 20 times (so 20, 4 game series, just to be clear), I would bet a large amount of money that Chicago would not score as many deflection goals and Edmonton wouldn't score on our own net through deflections, nearly as much in any given series. I think that would be a pretty safe bet as well.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yikes. Dont know how i missed that one. It is slightly hilarious how off kass is. Only hilarious because ive calmed down slightly since last night.

Yeah I saw him saying "f off" live, but I didn't catch the Kass at the end. That is very clearly what he is saying, especially with how comically out of position Kass is.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I hope Rishaug gets the inside scoop on McDavid’s exit interview.

I don't. I hope what he said never comes out, because I suspect he had some pretty frank words for Holland revolving around how much longer he is willing stick around. Hint: it isn't long enough to hope and wait for Bouchard or Broberg solve our defensive problems.

We need to be making a trade for a top-pairing dman, even if it costs us our first rounder, next years first rounder, Broberg/Bouchard and something else. The picks in this and next years drafts won't be helping us (barring it being Lafreniere of course) during the 29 contract. Or at least not until the very end of it. Our window to win is now, and Holland should be selling the future to try and make that happen.

This just in: generational players are called that because they only come around once per generation, lol. And we are squandering our generational player with every wasted season where we don't give him the supporting cast he needs.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Imagine if playoffs Oilers showed up for more than last 7 mins of the series

I think we saw what Playoff Oilers, at least this version, looked like, and it wasn’t how they played in the last few minutes. This series revealed a lot of character issues that hopefully Holland and crew saw, and can rectify.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yup, 30-35% of hockey is luck, and we didn't have any this series. Chicago fans will say I'm making excuses, but that is the reality of what happened. The two teams play was very even actually. We scored like 3 goals on ourselves, and they didn't. They got about 3 lucky/garbage goals, compared to our 2. Those 2 things are really the series in a nutshell.
I agree with this. The Oilers were not as intense as I expected, especially with the whole Play for Colby theme, but Chicago really did get every break possible. It's not an excuse in the sense that many of those breaks were made possible by mistakes but listening to Spector say that the team got completely outplayed the whole series made me wonder if he and I were actually watching the same series.

That said I am extremely disappointed. I wanted a run this year. In a way this is tougher than some of the years where they were out after Christmas.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I agree with this. The Oilers were not as intense as I expected, especially with the whole Play for Colby theme, but Chicago really did get every break possible. It's not an excuse in the sense that many of those breaks were made possible by mistakes but listening to Spector say that the team got completely outplayed the whole series made me wonder if he and I were actually watching the same series.

That said I am extremely disappointed. I wanted a run this year. In a way this is tougher than some of the years where they were out after Christmas.

I thought the whole play for Colby thing was bound to blow up in their face the way they made it a slogan. One, classless as hell, to use someone elses tragedy as your motivational motto. Two... as the 5th seed going in we already had the most pressure going in along with the pens. Why bother ramping up that pressure when the other team no one expects to win is already playing loose with house money? Three... when it does go wrong, suddenly it becomes a barometer for how much the team cares about Colby's death.

I thought the whole play for Colby thing was a bad look straight from day 1. Emily seemed to not mind the attention, but I think a lot of people would have been utterly horrified by the way the Oilers put on a big show like that. The memorial was great, but the marketing and the slogan i thought were tone deaf as hell.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah I saw that comment from Spector as well and laughed out loud. He's a complete, unadulterated, idiot though, so it's not surprising.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I thought the whole play for Colby thing was bound to blow up in their face the way they made it a slogan. One, classless as hell, to use someone elses tragedy as your motivational motto. Two... as the 5th seed going in we already had the most pressure going in along with the pens. Why bother ramping up that pressure when the other team no one expects to win is already playing loose with house money? Three... when it does go wrong, suddenly it becomes a barometer for how much the team cares about Colby's death.

I thought the whole play for Colby thing was a bad look straight from day 1. Emily seemed to not mind the attention, but I think a lot of people would have been utterly horrified by the way the Oilers put on a big show like that. The memorial was great, but the marketing and the slogan i thought were tone deaf as hell.

Hmm, I didn’t think anything about it was over the top. Pretty much any team that lost a mate would have done the same and dedicated the playoffs to him. Would have been disappointed if they hadn’t done it. What part did you think was overdone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad