Tiny players with the heaviest shots

JS91

May 14, 2014
Dunno if Stamkos counts as tiny, but he's only around 6'0 and pretty much has the most accurate and powerful one timer in the league. Ovechkin might have a harder one, but the accuracy is debatable.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Also a bit of a wildcard answer is Mark Cundari. Very similar to Torey Krug in how he can generate a ton of power from the point.

Here's his wrister:

[nhl]241297[/nhl]

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
With wristers it always seemed to me that people who shot 'the American way' with their stronger hand low, had the harder wrist shot. Not based on pros or anything, but just people my age and my brothers age.

Shooting with my right hand low (as a natural right hander) I can roof wristers with a lot of power generated but cannot coordinate a slapshot for my life... my brother is right handed and shoots left and cannot get a puck off the ground with a wrister but has a very powerful slapshot.

Come to think of it three of the guys with the best wristshots I have seen on the Flyers are Carter, Lindros and Giroux... and all shoot with their naturally strong hand low.

But then again Gagne and LeClair are also naturally right handed but shoot left...

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
He doesn't play for the team anymore, but I still feel the need to tell the tale of "Tiny Tim" Stapleton.

The guy was 5'8"(on stilts), 160lbs soaking wet, and could fire the puck 96mph.

Various sites claim that he wasn't actually on stilts when his height was measured, and that he was actually 180lbs, but I don't buy it.

Came here to post this as well. He finished second or third in the Jets skills competition the first year for hardest shot. He actually dominated that event overall, he's just way too small to be an NHL player. He made Enstrom look big.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The premise of this thread is slightly confusing because it implies that being short and weighing less than others impacts one's ability to shoot the puck effectively. This isn't true at all. For every Zdeno Chara, there is a Marc-Andre Bergeron. If I had to make an argument, I would actually suggest that being taller makes it more difficult to shoot (in terms of both accuracy and power). It may be hard to test this theory among NHLers, but I think it would definitely hold true among amateurs who have little experience playing hockey and/or shooting a puck.

For slap shots with composite sticks it's all about leaning on the stick and having it snap through. Watch guys hit the ice several inches behind the puck to flex the stick. Completely different than with wood sticks. Weight makes a big difference there.

A longer stick is also like a longer lever. So height (or at least stick and arm length) makes a difference.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Paul Kariya, had an unreal clapper technique that he could get off at full speed

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
As a Bruins fan gotta go with Krug. Kid is tiny but when he gets the lane he has an absolute laser. Really impressive. I don't know where he gets the power I'm pretty sure he's about 5'8.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
They don't call Ryan Ellis "The Human Rocketship" for nothing. Kid's got a bomb

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Erik Karlsson has a heavy slap shot.....I think he was clocked at 104 mph in the skills

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Add a 2nd rounder and Desharnais' shot is pretty heavy.:sarcasm:
hahaha...well played

my 1st thought was viz and MAB...but some younger guys are i think of are krug and vatanen , but havent seen enough of ellis to notice his

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
This thread is irrelevant. Most of these guys aren't remotely considered "tiny" players.

5'8" is about the biggest I'd consider a tiny hockey player. The rest of these guys are average height and not worth bringing up in this thread, which means most of this is useless so far.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Pulkkinen is just starting to play for the wings, but he'll have one of the hardest shots in the league once he gets going at the NHL level. Mike Knuble said its comparable with Ovechkin's and he played with both.

Established NHLers, Krug is a very good choice

Aceonfire*

Yakupov isn't exactly tiny but he isn't very big.

The guys shot is ridiculous for his size and shoots a shade under 100 mph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad