Tiny players with the heaviest shots

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Mats Zuccarello has a WICKED shot that he never uses.

When he uses it, it's scary.

If there is one thing that will define the next 5 years of MZAs career, it's whether or not someone smacks him upside his tiny ring-bearing frodo head and tells him to stop being so ********* unselfish.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
James Wisniewski is generously listed as 5'11", shoots rockets. Also crushes a golf ball like nothing you've ever seen. I had the pleasure of playing with him once. First tee, I drove 270 down the middle. Pretty happy for a leadoff shot. Wiz gets up and unloads this bomb, still rising as it flew over my ball. 440 yard hole, he landed next to the 100 marker. You can do the math. This was without any warmup.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Been bothering me for a while now and this seems like a decent place to bring it up, but what the hell does "heavy shot" mean. Is it just another way of saying a hard shot? You hear this all the time and usually it is used in a way that differentiates a heavy shot from a hard or quick shot. You especially hear it when talking about a defensive defenseman who tends to actually get his shots on net rather than blowing them 5 feet wide.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Ryan Ellis is tiny, but he has the second hardest shot on the team behind Weber as far as I can tell. The kid can launch bombs.

edit: I see others beat me to it.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Been bothering me for a while now and this seems like a decent place to bring it up, but what the hell does "heavy shot" mean. Is it just another way of saying a hard shot? You hear this all the time and usually it is used in a way that differentiates a heavy shot from a hard or quick shot. You especially hear it when talking about a defensive defenseman who tends to actually get his shots on net rather than blowing them 5 feet wide.

It's simple physics. As the velocity of the shot gets closer to the speed of light, the puck will get heavier until its mass is infinite.

This is what people are referencing when they talk about a "heavy" shot.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Alfie in his prime AINEC. ~5'10" and he had one of the heaviest shots I've ever seen.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I remember I was at one game when MAB was on the Islanders and his shot was recorded at 104 MPH. Guy had an absolute cannon of a slapper.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
The premise of this thread is slightly confusing because it implies that being short and weighing less than others impacts one's ability to shoot the puck effectively. This isn't true at all. For every Zdeno Chara, there is a Marc-Andre Bergeron. If I had to make an argument, I would actually suggest that being taller makes it more difficult to shoot (in terms of both accuracy and power). It may be hard to test this theory among NHLers, but I think it would definitely hold true among amateurs who have little experience playing hockey and/or shooting a puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad