Tiny players with the heaviest shots

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Who are the smallest guys that are able to get a lot more on a shot than you'd expect? These are light weight guys who are able to beat goalies from the outside using great technique to release a heavy, accurate shot.

Patrick Kane
Johnny Gaudreau
Claude Giroux

To me, those 3 all have shockingly heavy wristers for their weight (especially Gaudreau). I can't believe how they can have heavier shots than guys with 40+ pounds on them. I always thought the same of guys like Bure and Kariya.

I didn't include St Louis because he is built like a tiny mack truck. Guys like Cammalleri, Skinner, and Marchand are pretty solid as well.

Who else?

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Marc Andre Bergeron was only 5'9 but the only reason he played any games in the NHL was his boomer from the point

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Gaudreau has a rocket and is accurate.
Kid oozes talent.

Visnovsky has a cannon.

MAB was something else.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
First thought I have here is Stamkos. Sounds weird, but let me explain. I don't know what it is, but something about his face always makes me feel like he looks like he's been underfed. He looks gaunt, or strung-out to me. I know he's not tiny, but still.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I wonder if there is a way of finding empirical evidence from team all star competitions to see which guy does indeed have the hardest shot among the shorter guys in the league.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Slapshots especially, are all about mechanics. Brute strength will only add a few MPH to your shot. This is why guys like Chara or Weber will only shoot say, 10% harder than someone they're 20% stronger than. Not uncommon for relatively small players with excellent shooting technique to have howitzers.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
For the Oil I would have to say RNH has a laser of a snapper. Gets it off pretty quick and with some velocity.

Yak has a great shot - doesnt use it often enough..which probably explains a bit of why he only has 5 goals.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
6 feet tall but retired, he had a howitzer and is also has a great name....

Gaston Gingras.....

Anonymouse

M.A.C.
Apr 10, 2012
Stockholm
I stopped playing hockey when I was 13 so correct me if I'm wrong but to me a wrister has little to do with body mass. Especially with the new sticks, I think it's all technique. All you have to be really strong in is your forearms. Sure, a long sticks probably provides more leverage but I really don't think it's that much of a disadvantage to be shorter, let alone lighter.

The slap shot on the other hand...

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Brad Marchand can absolutely fire a wrist shot.

Phil Kessel may have the hardest wrist shot in the game and he isn't all that big by any means.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He doesn't play for the team anymore, but I still feel the need to tell the tale of "Tiny Tim" Stapleton.

The guy was 5'8"(on stilts), 160lbs soaking wet, and could fire the puck 96mph.

Various sites claim that he wasn't actually on stilts when his height was measured, and that he was actually 180lbs, but I don't buy it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad