Tinordi K-O...concussions alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I'm not here to waste time debating this... But is there really a debate? People still think that fighting is ok in a team sport with world-class atheletes in 2015? Wow.

Because it matters that it's in a team sport, right, and doesn't matter how it's conducted... you know... in an age where professionally conducted fighting sports are ever increasing in popularity. Yes, here in 2015. :rolleyes:

Thank you though, White Knight of society, your contribution is duly noted.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Because it matters that it's in a team sport, right, and doesn't matter how it's conducted... you know... in an age where professionally conducted fighting sports are ever increasing in popularity. Yes, here in 2015. :rolleyes:

Thank you though, White Knight of society, your contribution is duly noted.

you mean, fighting sports where the guy will land (and connect) more punch in the first minute of a single fight than a goon will in a whole season ?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
You either missed the point or you're deflecting it.

You implied that it's not important the reason players get concussed. I disagreed. Of course the reason players get hurt matters and I gave an example outside of hockey to show that. Participating in an inherently dangerous activity (playing hockey or driving) means there will be accidents and injuries, but we can certainly try to minimize the risk in doing so. Knowing how players get injured is a big step towards being able to minimize the risk.

Players are hurt at disproportionately higher rates from simply playing the game than for any fighting. Player safety is a copout.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Players are hurt at disproportionately higher rates from simply playing the game than for any fighting. Player safety is a copout.

Yeah, and most car accidents happen to sober drivers. Does that make it OK to drink and drive?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
fight more then ?

No, I'm kind of on the side that fighting is mostly pointless, but I don't pretend that I care about the players safety, I really don't and neither does anyone here, they just don't like fighting, so they attempt to appeal to emotion. I'm not a fan of staged fights, but to ban them outright vs any other type of fight isn't possible imo. What constitutes a staged fight? Just because it happened with 2 guys at the faceoff doesn't make it staged, maybe **** happened we're not privy too. Hard to imagine, I know. :sarcasm:

The truth is, we don't know if there would be unintended consequences from removing fighting altogether, ie more stick work resulting in even more injuries.

I know there's poster in here who think they have it all figured out and know for a fact there wouldn't be, but they're completely full of ****.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
He's saying that if there are injuries not due ti fighting then it doesn't matter that some injuries are due to fighting.

He should run for office.

Not what I am saying at all. I'm saying those who pretend their concern is for players safety are completely full of it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No, I'm kind of on the side that fighting is mostly pointless, but I don't pretend that I care about the players safety, I really don't and neither does anyone here, they just don't like fighting, so they attempt to appeal to emotion. I'm not a fan of staged fights, but to ban them outright vs any other type of fight isn't possible imo. What constitutes a staged fight? Just because it happened with 2 guys at the faceoff doesn't make it staged, maybe **** happened we're not privy too. Hard to imagine, I know. :sarcasm:

The truth is, we don't know if there would be unintended consequences from removing fighting altogether, ie more stick work resulting in even more injuries.

I know there's poster in here who think they have it all figured out and know for a fact there wouldn't be, but they're completely full of ****.

same apply for the tough guys around here ;)

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Not what I am saying at all. I'm saying those who pretend their concern is for players safety are completely full of it.

And why exactly is that?

Is it so hard to believe that I don't like seeing players get hurt? I hated seeing Tinordi and Parros lying unconscious on the ice. I hated hearing about the fates of Wade Belak, Derek Boogard, and Rick Rypien. Sure, you could argue it is for 'selfish' reasons that I care about player safety since I just don't like to see it. But that doesn't mean I don't care about player safety.

In fact I think we all care about player safety in general. I mean, if Galchenyuk took a mean elbow to the face and was out for the season with a massive concussion, would you not care at all?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't know if it has any impact whatsoever, I don't claim to know the answers, but I know the posters claiming to care for the players health are mostly full of it.

I'm with you on this, and the same who talk about protecting teammates and al'.

Couldnt care less if they kill eachothers on the ice, they're not my friends, family or related to me in any way so yeah...

as for the fights themselves, well maybe they'd be enjoyed by more people if the goons managed to connect more than once or twice per fight, on average :nod:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
And why exactly is that?

Is it so hard to believe that I don't like seeing players get hurt? I hated seeing Tinordi and Parros lying unconscious on the ice. I hated hearing about the fates of Wade Belak, Derek Boogard, and Rick Rypien. Sure, you could argue it is for 'selfish' reasons that I care about player safety since I just don't like to see it. But that doesn't mean I don't care about player safety.

I don't think anyone likes to see young men struggling with demons that ultimately end their life, but these 3 had a lot more going on than being tough guys in the NHL. They had battles with depression and drug abuse, some started before their NHL playing days. You said it, it's for "selfish" reasons.

In fact I think we all care about player safety in general. I mean, if Galchenyuk took a mean elbow to the face and was out for the season with a massive concussion, would you not care at all?

I would care in the sense that I would feel bad for the guy and that my team lost one of it's better players which would make my experience as a fan less enjoyable. If it happened to Zdeno Chara, would I give a ****, not in the slightest.

Some, actually do care about player safety, but I think their focus on fighting is misguided and mostly for ulterior motives, they don't like fighting in the game, period.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I will never buy that excuse. Plekanec is seen as the worst in slashing and crosschecks....so since fighting is removed, he will then be worst? But then...when was fighting something he had to do because he's suppose to be that dirty? Why would he then be worst if he didn't have to answer now...so he won't answer then?

One thing I would agree.....penalties will need to go accordingly. You can't and won't be taking liberties as it will be severely punished. Yet, taking liberties do NOT include legally hitting people. Most fights starts with a legal but hard hit. So remove fighting and finally we'll see people taking hits like men....and if you want your revenge, you hit them yourself. Just makes no sense for me that removing fighting would then mean more cheapshots that will not go punished by refs.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I will never buy that excuse. Plekanec is seen as the worst in slashing and crosschecks....so since fighting is removed, he will then be worst? But then...when was fighting something he had to do because he's suppose to be that dirty? Why would he then be worst if he didn't have to answer now...so he won't answer then?

One thing I would agree.....penalties will need to go accordingly. You can't and won't be taking liberties as it will be severely punished. Yet, taking liberties do NOT include legally hitting people. Most fights starts with a legal but hard hit. So remove fighting and finally we'll see people taking hits like men....and if you want your revenge, you hit them yourself. Just makes no sense for me that removing fighting would then mean more cheapshots that will not go punished by refs.

Ask Brian Gionta.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I would care in the sense that I would feel bad for the guy and that my team lost one of it's better players which would make my experience as a fan less enjoyable. If it happened to Zdeno Chara, would I give a ****, not in the slightest.

Some, actually do care about player safety, but I think their focus on fighting is misguided and mostly for ulterior motives, they don't like fighting in the game, period.

So you DO care about player safety. Many here do, including myself.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Link? This isn't the first time you've brought it up, so I'm wondering where something like that would even come from. I think you're making it up.

I love whitesnakes posts usually, so I didn't bother countering it, but I have no idea what he is talking about. Pleks doesn't fight, it's not Pleks that would looking to retaliate using his stick if he weren't allowed to fight. I'm more worried about hte loose canons that lose their temper and can no longer use their fists as an outlet, seems barbaric, but there's no shortage of players playing with a high level of emotion who would struggle to just turn the other cheek and skate away when they feel provoked. I don't know if stick-work would increase or not, but to dismiss it outright is silly imo.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
So you DO care about player safety.

Yeah who doesn't, really? But how do all these wives of hockey players kiss their husbands good bye on the way to the rink in good conscience, with the threat of fighting in the NHL looming large over their heads, lol. They should all be married to you guys, instead...

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
came here for news about that incident, all I see is nonsense

does he have concussion?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Yeah who doesn't, really? But how do all these wives of hockey players kiss their husbands good bye on the way to the rink in good conscience, with the threat of fighting in the NHL looming large over their heads, lol. They should all be married to you guys, instead...

Thank you.

On your second point, are you really suggesting that NHL wives aren't concerned for their husband's welfare if they drop the gloves and bare knuckle box? I would bet most would be holding their breath until the fight was over.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You either missed the point or you're deflecting it.

You implied that it's not important the reason players get concussed. I disagreed. Of course the reason players get hurt matters and I gave an example outside of hockey to show that. Participating in an inherently dangerous activity (playing hockey or driving) means there will be accidents and injuries, but we can certainly try to minimize the risk in doing so. Knowing how players get injured is a big step towards being able to minimize the risk.

Yes and we can minimize ed the more prevalent risk by getting rid of checking, but YOU won't do it because YOU think that checking I'd somehow inherent to nhl jockey but. Surprise surprise, the parts you don't like are deemed dispensable, by you and in direct contrast to the will of the players.

Yes accidents happen, but a fight is not an accident, it's a mutual choice between 2 players fully aware of the consequences. That you wouldn't, or more egregiously want to prevent them from doing it because YOU wouldn't is moot.

They aren't fighting for your entertainment, and to insist that they stop to maximize your enjoyment requires a near pathological sense of self entitlement.

I don't like Oregon going wide spread on some PAT's. Are they obligated to stop if I whine incessantly and invoke ridiculous analogies?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Thank you.

On your second point, are you really suggesting that NHL wives aren't concerned for their husband's welfare if they drop the gloves and bare knuckle box? I would bet most would be holding their breath until the fight was over.

Oh, sure, and I imagine it's hard for them to look into their mothers' eyes and say "I'm off to... play hockey mama, and I might not come back the same..." with the risks associated with possibly fighting casting an impervious fog of doubt upon their spirit as they begrudgingly trudge towards their gladiatorial stall in the bowels of the arena...

Or maybe we can do without the projecting and the knowing what's best for everyone else that pervades society in general, but this topic in particular. That's what I think on the matter, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad