Weekes: Timo extension in New Jersey

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He may be joking about it being done right now, but I'd feel pretty good about thinking they are fairly close. I don't think this is going to drag

It will be done by the draft I think. All reporting says both sides want an 8 year deal.

I honestly think it's all structure being worked on at this point.

Reactions: Forge

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Completely agree. Goaltending is such a dice roll in this league unless you have one of three young Russian goalies.

After that, you have no idea what you might get from that position from year to year, and it's completely dependent upon team defense.

Helley moves the needle with us, but not much more than any average $4m NHL goalie getting deterministic team defense in front of him.
Couldn't have said it better. Completely agree with all of this, my exact thoughts.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
NJ is in a crazy position to do something here. They will still have $15 mil-ish in cap space after signing all of Meier, Bratt and Haula. They will still have a pipeline of cheap ELCs in L. Hughes, Nemec, Casey, Holtz, and a few others to supplant depth and make further additions to forwards and goaltending if they want to. Will be interesting to see

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
NJ is in a crazy position to do something here. They will still have $15 mil-ish in cap space after signing all of Meier, Bratt and Haula. They will still have a pipeline of cheap ELCs in L. Hughes, Nemec, Casey, Holtz, and a few others to supplant depth and make further additions to forwards and goaltending if they want to. Will be interesting to see
Yeah but are you forgetting all of their RFA's???

Bastian, Boqvist, mcleod, sharangovich, bahl? I would assume sharangovich and boqvist get pretty decent raises no?

Not to mention they only have 7 forwards signed altogether (8 including meier). you need to sign 5 other guys just for forward, at least 1 defender to have only 6 D.

That is a lot of people to sign. Not to mention, cap gymnastics is going to have to be amazing because Mercer is RFA next year and he is going to definitely want some of that palat or hischier money...

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Bastian, Boqvist, mcleod, sharangovich, bahl? I would assume sharangovich and boqvist get pretty decent raises no?

Not to mention they only have 7 forwards signed altogether (8 including meier). you need to sign 5 other guys just for forward, at least 1 defender to have only 6 D.

That is a lot of people to sign. Not to mention, cap gymnastics is going to have to be amazing because Mercer is RFA next year and he is going to definitely want some of that palat or hischier money...

Sharangovich is almost certainly gone. Roster squeeze is not going to make him worth his contract moving forward.

Boqvist, Bastian and Bahl probably all cap out at 1.5M aav, mikey is projected at 2 million for 3 years (less if they go 2 years).

Holtz will have his crack at the lineup this year and Foote is waiver eligible now, so most feel he's almost certainly going to be put into a bottom 6 role.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

I don't think any of the RFA's you've listed are getting big raises, I also don't think Sharangovich is on the team next year, even if they can't find somewhere to trade him, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not qualified.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I just don't think it will be Buck. The money and assets it will take to get him just seems to high.

My guess is Fitz will look to replace Tatar with a more playoff type of forward if he is going to try and make one more big splash.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I just don't think it will be Buck. The money and assets it will take to get him just seems to high.

My guess is Fitz will look to replace Tatar with a more playoff type of forward if he is going to try and make one more big splash.
It doesn’t have to be Bucky, they could even just stand pat with Vanecek and Schmid riding into next year and will still have Daws fully starting in Utica. They’re not really in a bad position at ANY of their teams positions on paper. My guess is they flesh out the forward depth more and maybe hunt for a 3rd pair RD if they feel Nemec isn’t ready and can slide his ELC into 24/25, before they even consider goaltending.
I don't think any of the RFA's you've listed are getting big raises, I also don't think Sharangovich is on the team next year, even if they can't find somewhere to trade him, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not qualified.
None of those RFAs are notable enough to command big raises that will dampen the cap, and they still have many young forward prospects that have been doing really well in Utica to fill out the lower depth of the roster. They still have Arseni Gritsyuk waiting in the wings in the KHL and he’s going to be playing with Michkov for the next 2 years before coming over, by then he’ll be fully NHL ready and on a cheap contract. From what I hear Rango is on the trade block and will probably be used in a trade to acquire a forward for their playoff push next year.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It doesn’t have to be Bucky, they could even just stand pat with Vanecek and Schmid riding into next year and will still have Daws fully starting in Utica. They’re not really in a bad position at ANY of their teams positions on paper. My guess is they flesh out the forward depth more and maybe hunt for a 3rd pair RD if they feel Nemec isn’t ready and can slide his ELC into 24/25, before they even consider goaltending.

None of those RFAs are notable enough to command big raises that will dampen the cap, and they still have many young forward prospects that have been doing really well in Utica to fill out the lower depth of the roster. They still have Arseni Gritsyuk waiting in the wings in the KHL and he’s going to be playing with Michkov for the next 2 years before coming over, by then he’ll be fully NHL ready and on a cheap contract. From what I hear Rango is on the trade block and will probably be used in a trade to acquire a forward for their playoff push next year.

Daws busted his hip and had to have surgery, which is incredibly unfortunate

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Yeah for sure it's a concern, but Sharangovich can't crack the lineup (just a bad fit as he's not good enough for top 6). It's very likely he and Boqvist will be dealt so we get a look at Holtz and Foote. Also, Fitz has already said he wants complimentary grit players, so maybe that money goes to any Martinook clones we can find or someone like Zucker/hathaway.

McLeod ($3m?) and Bastian ($1m?)are must haves. Bahl would be great as he's got upside, fits our grit needs and could be cheap unless Fitz wants temporary Schenn or Gudas bottom pair guy.

We need more live body playoff cannon fodder.

Reactions: hn777

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah for sure it's a concern, but Sharangovich can't crack the lineup (just a bad fit as he's not good enough for top 6). It's very likely he and Boqvist will be dealt so we get a look at Holtz and Foote. Also, Fitz has already said he wants complimentary grit players, so maybe that money goes to any Martinook clones we can find or someone like Zucker/hathaway.

McLeod ($3m?) and Bastian ($1m?)are must haves. Bahl would be great as he's got upside, fits our grit needs and could be cheap unless Fitz wants temporary Schenn or Gudas bottom pair guy.

We need more live body playoff cannon fodder.

3 mil for an average 4th liner would be f***ing absurd

People talked about him getting tkachuk money so if it’s in the 8s that’s a good deal

That would’ve been very dumb. He doesn’t deserve anywhere near Tkachuk money. Tkachuk was coming off a 100+ pt year. He was never actually getting that.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
3 mil for an average 4th liner would be f***ing absurd
This is true, but clearly McLeod is blooming late, and his game took a big jump in the playoffs. He should be pushed to be our 3C next year.

He was our most consistent playoff forward by a long shot. Better and more valuable than Haula we just signed for $3.15m.

Getting a short term bridge to UFA at $2m would be good.

If you don't sign Wood then he probably becomes our only straight line speed to the net guy who won't get killed doing so.

I know you're all about skill alone, but that's not our current need and McLeod is one of our only in house options.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
People talked about him getting tkachuk money so if it’s in the 8s that’s a good deal
Those talks are a but ridiculous. If he didn't have a QO of 10, most of the talk all season would have been between 8.5-9ish. Which is basically where he's at. You can argue 500k more, sure, because its never smart to lose a player over 500k, but going beyond that was simply because most were just looking at the big qualifying number.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Excuse my ignorance, but what does this mean for their goaltending situation? Still room in the cap long term for an upgrade there?

We could still make a move. I don’t know if we’d really do anything besides a Hellebuyck rental while moving out Vanecek or signing like a 1B/backup for some depth and insurance if Schmid needs to go back down

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Hellebuyck will also be a devil in my opinion. From what I've heard , NJ contacted the Jets about Hellebuyck
The interest was mutual with us being one of the team he’s open to extending with. I just don’t see us signing him to the deal he’ll want. Maybe we just do the one year and take if from there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad