Weekes: Timo extension in New Jersey

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Feel like Brandolini's law is in effect here...is Weekes joking or is he actually saying that the deal is done?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Devils fans, does a contract like this remove them from Hellebuyck contention and a future contract with him?

No. I think what removes us from Hellebuyck is just Hellebuyck himself. He'll want big term. We could fit both of them on a mid-short term deal for Hellebuyck and it'd be worth it. I just can't see Hellebuyck going for that though. Someone will give him big money on a big term deal. He'd have to be taking like 20-30+ mil less than he someone else would give him to come here. Like maybe we trade for him as a rental

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Clearly Weekes is joking around here. They're not close to a deal.

He may be joking about it being done right now, but I'd feel pretty good about thinking they are fairly close. I don't think this is going to drag

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He may be joking about it being done right now, but I'd feel pretty good about thinking they are fairly close. I don't think this is going to drag
Probably not. It's probably such a minuscule thing that's holding it up. I wonder if he gets a NMC

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think eventually Meier will be a good playoff performer, but just checked his stats...

He disappears offensively.

46 games, 24 points.

Having said that, small enough sample size, still a good deal if true.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Devils fans, does a contract like this remove them from Hellebuyck contention and a future contract with him?

No, as any discussions around Hellebuyck coming to NJ was always around the premise of Bratt and Meier being re-signed, which has been the goal the entire offseason.

I think Fitz would be willing to trade for him if he were willing to sign a shorter contract for less money than he'd make on the open market in exchange for a chance to win the Cup. If he wants a long-term deal at $9M+, it doesn't really make sense for NJ to take that risk.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't think he will be as productive in NJ (they created a lot of high danger chances and generated a lot of changes off the rush. Just didn't seem to be his kinda' style to produce) but that's still a good contract even if he doesn't produce at the rate prior to the trade.
NJ will always be a good rush team with the Hughes brothers, Bratt, Nemec, Hamilton, McLeod, Boqvist, etc.

They need help off the cycle, when the game gets sludgy, and they're slowly adding guys who are adept at that in Palat, Haula, Meier and likely some other players.

I think the team can be thought of much like the Blackhawks as if they never had the Ladds, Versteegs, Byfugliens, Hjarlmarssons, etc. and had to add them over time.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't think he will be as productive in NJ (they created a lot of high danger chances and generated a lot of changes off the rush. Just didn't seem to be his kinda' style to produce) but that's still a good contract even if he doesn't produce at the rate prior to the trade.

I don't see why Meier wouldn't mesh with a rush based game. Meier was one of the best rush players in the league last year. As of Feburary 26th Sportlogiq was 4th in rush chances only behind McDavid, Hughes, aand Terry.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Hardest pass imaginable
Completely agree. Goaltending is such a dice roll in this league unless you have one of three young Russian goalies.

After that, you have no idea what you might get from that position from year to year, and it's completely dependent upon team defense.

Helley moves the needle with us, but not much more than any average $4m NHL goalie getting deterministic team defense in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad