• Robertson

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Steeves

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Malgin AINEC. If he was coming to the NHL for the first time after his last year in Switzerland and the World Championships, a lot more people would be excited. He has a new compete level that was lacking earlier. It isn't just about one preseason game, his play in Europe was really trending up.

Anderson simply hasn't shown any kind of skill to keep up with Nylander/Tavares. Gaudette is already hurt. Everyone else can be safely sent down. If you waive Malgin now he's gone, either to another team or back to Europe. Makes way more sense to give him a trial run.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Malgin AINEC. If he was coming to the NHL for the first time after his last year in Switzerland and the World Championships, a lot more people would be excited. He has a new compete level that was lacking earlier. It isn't just about one preseason game, his play in Europe was really trending up.

Anderson simply hasn't shown any kind of skill to keep up with Nylander/Tavares. Gaudette is already hurt. Everyone else can be safely sent down. If you waive Malgin now he's gone, either to another team or back to Europe. Makes way more sense to give him a trial run.

Good post I agree. You start the season with Malgin. He understands there's guys wanting to steal his job. Motivation for him to keep it and motivation for the young guys to keep working for their chance.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
So what are the rules here?

How do you play last man on the island?

Based on the choices I thought it was about voting for the player who takes the final few roster spots.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
If Robertson cant play on the 2nd line, I would try Jankrok with JT and Willy over Engvall. Engvall has the speed and size, but his hands are not good enough for what Tavares and Nylander need on the wing.

Tavares, and particularity Nylander, are elite puck retrievers and need a defensively responsible winger that can skate and move the puck with them.

For now, I‘ll guess/vote Anderson to play on the 3rd line
As far as working with what we have, it looks like Jarn has a bit of jam in him as well. He might round out the top 6 nicely and we can focus on getting line three right.

Personally feel Engvall is closer to a fourth liner than a second liner - his hockey IQ ain't high enough to play against the oppositions elite.

Reactions: Nineteen67

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I will wait and see if he earns it but i kinda like everything about Holmberg.

This is a guy who was a legit quality #1C in the SHL at age 22 last year. He's strong (comfortably over 200lbs and ripped) with plenty of grit, seems to have high end IQ at both ends of the ice, his skating seems to be strong, and while he's not a dangler he does seem to have the skill and IQ to score. He's not a guy who you think would benefit much from AHL time given his age, physique, and how much topline SHL experience he's had already.

He has to earn it but I think this kid is an nhler for sure.

I think a full year in the AHL would do him good. Johnsson had two full years in the AHL between being a higher end SHLer and making the NHL, but Holmberg can probably be fine with just one.

Anderson played one game on a shutdown line with Kampf and ZAR and looked good doing it. Hardly guys who will show whether he has the skill to keep up with Tavares/Nylander.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Anderson played one game on a shutdown line with Kampf and ZAR and looked good doing it. Hardly guys who will show whether he has the skill to keep up with Tavares/Nylander.

To be clear I'm basing that off his career, not one preseason game. I've never seen enough offensive hockey sense from him to make me think he's a fit with Tavares/Nylander.

Reactions: wired14 and Buds17

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Pretty much this, if he was a free agent signing we'd be thrilled, he has good numbers and has played great overseas.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So what are the rules here?

How do you play last man on the island?

Based on the choices I thought it was about voting for the player who takes the final few roster spots.

WelldocumentedAchingAkitainu-size_restricted.gif

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Robertson is the only one of those I have any interest in seeing play middle six. One of the others is welcome to surprise me of course, but I'd be surprised if a guy who's hoping to just make an impression as a call-up gets tapped for middle six duty.

Kerfoot will go back on the wing, because having Kampf as 4c is crazy talk. Kampf is the perfect 3c, Kerfoot plays C as an injury replacement.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think a full year in the AHL would do him good. Johnsson had two full years in the AHL between being a higher end SHLer and making the NHL, but Holmberg can probably be fine with just one.
I don't agree that AJ was higher end in the SHL. Offensively they're similar but Holmberg was a 2-way C there which is a whole next level of responsibility.

Even offensively, AJ was much more PP-dependent than Holmberg.

Holmberg 46gms, EV 9gls/26pts, PP 2gls/15pts
Johnsson 52gms, EV 10gls/20pts, PP 9gls/24pts

Reactions: 123offtheglass

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
They’re looking to fill 2nd line winger.
Possibly, or maybe they go with Kerfoot there...he was Top 60 in the league in ES pts last year.

They are not looking for a "sixth best forward" they are looking for someone who brings something to the top six but also allows them have depth and balance and a bott six with purpose.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's asking who should be the 2nd/3rd line LW.
Yeah, but they are not looking for a sixth best forward...that would be Kerfoot or Engvall...they are looking for someone who allows them to have balance, depth and purpose across all four lines.

Would you have voted for Bunting if we had a similar poll for top line winger? Probably not.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Possibly, or maybe they go with Kerfoot there...he was Top 60 in the league in ES pts last year.

They are not looking for a "sixth best forward" they are looking for someone who brings something to the top six but also allows them have depth and balance and a bott six with purpose.
I don’t know what they are thinking but Kerfoot JT and Willy were not great last year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If people keep getting injured, might have to revise this to two or three people on the island...

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
With Tavares, Engvall, Liljegren, & Gaudette injuries and Sandin sidelined for contractual reasons. Our starting lineup is looking bleak.
(Note: I'm assuming muzzin will be ready for opening night)

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Malgin - Kerfoot - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Anderson
Simmonds - Holmberg - Aube-Kubel
Steeves/Cliff

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Giordano - Benn
Kral

Murray
Samsonov

-----

When Healthy

Malgin - Tavares - Nylander
Engvall - Kerfoot - Jarnkrok
Simmonds - Kampf - Aube-Kubel
Anderson/Gaudette

Rielly - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin

Murray
Samsonov

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With Tavares, Engvall, Liljegren, & Gaudette injuries and Sandin sidelined for contractual reasons. Our starting lineup is looking bleak.
(Note: I'm assuming muzzin will be ready for opening night)

Malgin - Kerfoot - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Anderson
Simmonds - Holmberg - Aube-Kubel
Steeves/Cliff

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Giordano - Benn
Kral

Murray
Samsonov

-----

When Healthy

Malgin - Tavares - Nylander
Engvall - Kerfoot - Jarnkrok
Simmonds - Kampf - Aube-Kubel
Anderson/Gaudette

Rielly - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin

Murray
Samsonov

ZAR?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don’t know what they are thinking but Kerfoot JT and Willy were not great last year.
I agree... I was just saying we are not looking for our sixth best forward...that is probably Bunting or Kerfoot. I am saying we are looking for a guy who can play a role in tbe top six and hopefully develop some chemistry up there

Reactions: Nineteen67

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Changing my vote to Big Dick Nick.

He's always been the most talented and I'm wagering last night was him finally figuring out he can dominate at this level.

Reactions: Hoverhand

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
If Malgin and Robertson keep scoring I think both should have a spot.

Fully healthy:

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Malgin
Robertson-Kerfoot-Jarnkrok
Engvall-Kampf-NAK
ZAR

Opening night with injuries:

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Kerfoot-Malgin
ZAR-Kampf-NAK
Simmonds