• Robertson

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Steeves

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Should be a vote for 2, I think we'll have room to carry a spare forward.

Gaudette probably has a spot
H
Anderson and Malgin are fighting for the other one

Malgin looks better than Gaudette offensively, and Anderson is a better gritty/defensive player than Gaudette.

Gaudette has an uphill battle ahead.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What a motley crew listed above ugggghhhhhhh .. Steeves looks like best of bunch but not sure any are NHL players

kb

Aug 28, 2009
tbh i'm hoping for one of the kids to take it. Robertson or Holmberg or Steeves are my favorites in terms of upside.

I'm not sure Malgin or Gaudette can do anything in preseason to convince me they're even clearcut better short term solutions let alone longterm ones.

BUT, if Malgin or Gaudette really play great and none of the kids do then I won't complain.

But one decent game from Malgin (beside a dominant Willy) isn't close to enough to make me think Malgin should suddenly be the favorite, considering I don't think anyone thought that a week ago.
I think Malgin just has the confidence back.

He led every category for the Swiss team at the World Championships with 5G - 7A - 12Pts.

Tied for second with 8 points was Timo Meier, Nico Hischier, and Pius Suter. So it seems like he can play up with those NHL regulars.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Aside from Gaudette, it's tough to say that any of those guys shouldn't at least get a look in the NHL. Malgin is probably the front runner at this early point, but I'd be happy to see Holmberg or Steeves make it. It's probably also time to really look at what they have in Anderson

Reactions: stickty111

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Unfortunately, Malgin.

He's looked the best, but he'll fizzle out once teams start playing for real. Don't like him as the 3rd wheel on that JT line, and him/Kerfoot/Jarnkrok would be way too small of a 3rd line.

Would rather just invest time in more versatile guys like Anderson or Holmberg.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Its pretty hard to say at the moment. Guys like Malgin and Gaudette regularly look like heroes in preseason hockey, then tail off once things get serious. I dont think any of these guys have taken the lead just yet.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't care for this list. Too many bad candidates and way too early.

I honestly don't think anyone accept for Gaudette. By no means am I saying he's great and deserves it. It just looks like he's going to get a lot of opportunity no matter what happens in the pre-season.

Who I want:

Curtis Douglas. I don't necessarily think he'll grab the opportunity though.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
picked Malgin, you know he's making this team...last chance to stick in the NHL. But Holmberg and Steeves should get very long healthy looks. Robertson and Abruzzese really need to start stepping up more; back to the AHL to work on things.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
It’ll be one of Gaudette or Malgin.

Whoever it is, they likely won’t be on the roster for the entire year as they’ll be replaced by Robertson/Knies.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
1 game sample size* but I'd go with Malgin and Holmberg while Engvalls out. Cap will permit

Bunting Matthews Marner
Kerfoot Tavares Jarnkrok
Malgin Holmberg Nylander
ZAR Kampf NAK
Simmonds

Leaves me wondering if Anderson would get picked up on waivers. I could imagine Dubas moving him anyway if he doesn't make the team for the benefit of the individual.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Robertson cant play on the 2nd line, I would try Jankrok with JT and Willy over Engvall. Engvall has the speed and size, but his hands are not good enough for what Tavares and Nylander need on the wing.

Tavares, and particularity Nylander, are elite puck retrievers and need a defensively responsible winger that can skate and move the puck with them.

For now, I‘ll guess/vote Anderson to play on the 3rd line

Last edited:

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I would like to see Malgin drive a line in a game where both teams start AHL teams because Nylander was a beast that game. Anyone with any semblance of skill would have looked good beside him.

I also like Berg as 4C similar to others, but yeah waivers makes this more boring.

(What I mean is at the current moment I think Berg is a better 4C than Malgin is a 2LW)

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
What a motley crew listed above ugggghhhhhhh .. Steeves looks like best of bunch but not sure any are NHL players
Motley crew?

You know this question is asking should be our 12th forward, right?

You expect a list of sure-fire NHLers there? It's a list of three prospects and three young pros with experience. I would think every team in the NHL has a battle like this for at least 12th forward, probably 10th and 11th too.

I think you go with Malgin and maybe Anderson or Gaudette if Engvall isn't ready. This is about keeping depth and not giving away guys on waivers. Robertson, Steeves and Holmberg will get their chances if they perform in the AHL.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't care for this list. Too many bad candidates and way too early.

I honestly don't think anyone accept for Gaudette. By no means am I saying he's great and deserves it. It just looks like he's going to get a lot of opportunity no matter what happens in the pre-season.

Who I want:

Curtis Douglas. I don't necessarily think he'll grab the opportunity though.

Too many bad candidates... lists a worse one just cause of his size... makes sense.

Malgin out played NHLers in tournaments and is 100% NHL caliber.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Im hoping it’s Holmberg but at this early stage I’d give the spot to Malgin. Anderson has showed nothing any time he’s been up with the club and Robertson isn’t ready.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
In terms of what needs work, bottom 6 is a higher priority than the super stacked top 6. At this moment I don't see how Malgin is a better option than Kerfoot at 2LW. Prefer Kerfoot as the placeholder there until a young forward / trade takes over (displays they can take over) and we can consider trading Kerfoot at that time or slot him down for superior depth.

Steeves is top on my charts for next depth player up but Holmberg makes the most sense if you take the current composition into account. Needs to still prove he can be 4C though. I'm not fully convinced yet.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Motley crew?

You expect a list of sure-fire NHLers there? It's a list of three prospects and three young pros with experience. I would think every team in the NHL has a battle like this for at least 12th forward, probably 10th and 11th too.

I think you go with Malgin and maybe Anderson or Gaudette if Engvall isn't ready. This is about keeping depth and not giving away guys on waivers. Robertson, Steeves and Holmberg will get their chances if they perform in the AHL.
They’re looking to fill 2nd line winger.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Motley crew?

It's asking who should be the 2nd/3rd line LW.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's asking who should be the 2nd/3rd line LW.

well, kinda but not really.

in this scenario the 4th liners all bring a defensive/checking value even if you don't want them in scoring roles.

So the 12th forward in this case might be the guy you think would finish off the last scoring role the most effectively, not just the last guy on the 4th line.

Of course, if you move Kampf back up to 3C like he was last year, then yeah the 12th forward is a the guy you think is the best fit on the 4th line with guys like ZAR and NAK.

Reactions: Shooter2x

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I will wait and see if he earns it but i kinda like everything about Holmberg.

This is a guy who was a legit quality #1C in the SHL at age 22 last year. He's strong (comfortably over 200lbs and ripped) with plenty of grit, seems to have high end IQ at both ends of the ice, his skating seems to be strong, and while he's not a dangler he does seem to have the skill and IQ to score. He's not a guy who you think would benefit much from AHL time given his age, physique, and how much topline SHL experience he's had already.

He has to earn it but I think this kid is an nhler for sure.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think that Leafs management was hoping it would be Adam Gaudette.

He has struggled the past 2 seasons. Last year he was waived by Chicago and claimed by Ottawa and then released without a QO as unqualified RFA. In 58 games he produced 5 goals and 9 assists for 14 points. in 2021-22.

However I imagine Leafs are hoping they can get the guy who won the Hobby Baker in College in 2017-18 as a junior as he led the NCAA in points (60) and points per game (1.62), and started out promising with Vancouver as a former 5th pick in 2015 draft and put up 59 games 12 goals 21 assists 33 points in 2019-20.

I suspect the plan was to play him on LW with John Tavares and get a Micheal Bunting like revival of a player turning 26 and propped up offensively by his linemates, in hopes of catching and rekindling some of that former potential again.

Already hurt and missing time will not help his cause however, as others in camp continue to press for NHL jobs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad