Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Steeves

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Choices listed in Alphabetical Order.

It sure is looking like the lines are close to set.

It's looking a lot like this:

Bunting --- Matthews --- Marner
xxx/Engvall --- Tavares --- Nylander
Engvall/xxx --- Kerfoot --- Jarnkrok
ZAR --- Kampf --- NAK

So that leaves one middle-6 spot up for grabs, with a whole lot of good candidates fighting for it.

So who do you want to and/or think will win the spot?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I am hoping it's Malgin or Holmberg, but Holmberg is very unlikely due to his waiver status.

Robertson needs more time, and Anderson...just not sure he's an NHL player. Abru definitely not (yet). Gaudette is tough to cut, but I think we lose him.

Last edited:
Reactions: horner

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Malgin or Anderson.

The rest are waiver exempt and do not look head and shoulders above the rest, or they are Gaudette who still only looked like a AAAA player.

Between Malgin and Anderson, it depends on if you need skill and speed or more two-way ability and grit. I think Anderson is a better fit for Tavares and Nylander, but Malgin brings some very nice offensive ability in top 9 himself.

horner

May 22, 2007
Malgin or Anderson.

The rest are waiver exempt and do not look head and shoulders above the rest, or they are Gaudette who still only looked like a AAAA player.

Between Malgin and Anderson, it depends on if you need skill and speed or more two-way ability and grit. I think Anderson is a better fit for Tavares and Nylander, but Malgin brings some very nice offensive ability in top 9 himself.
What do you see in Anderson, when I watch him he does nothing.
We have better players.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Malgin or Anderson.

I don't think Gauddette is exempt?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Malgin or Anderson.

Pretty much this exactly. Unless someone really shines well above Malgin or Anderson, it's going to be one of these two. So far, nobody is WELL ahead of these two, so from an organizational point of view, unless someone forces their way in, it's going to be them. Agree on Gaudette. I voted Malgin, at least to start the season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Whoever is on waivers will likely get claimed. So the Leafs will have to chose carefully.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Went with Gaudette. I've seen what he can do and it far surpasses anything i've seen from the others. Of course as with any of them the opportunity must be a limited one. Keep the competition for the final spot alive until somebody cements himself onto the roster via strong play rather than being the lesser of 7 evils.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Should be a vote for 2, I think we'll have room to carry a spare forward.

Gaudette probably has a spot
H
Anderson and Malgin are fighting for the other one

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Premature thread, lots can still happen.

I imagine Malgin and Gaudette both make the team.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I just realized Malgin's page the NHL website has, as background, a picture of Malgin and Malkin.

To answer the question, I'm not sure. I was hoping for Robertson, so in the the vein of a young skilled player, I'd probably give Malgin an extended look.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd expect the spot to be Malgin's to lose under this specific scenario.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I gotta say I'm surprised so many are going with malgin based on one preseason game. He was good, but still looks like a bad combo of small and slow to me. Hopefully he keeps it up the rest of the way but i'm not sure how likely that is.

Reactions: DraftSchmaft

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I gotta say I'm surprised so many are going with malgin based on one preseason game. He was good, but still looks like a bad combo of small and slow to me. Hopefully he keeps it up the rest of the way but i'm not sure how likely that is.

Who do you have winning that spot?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
that's why i started the poll!
Well hey you can't knock our votes than not share yours!

I would guess you have Gaudette or Anderson based on your comment? Gaudette could be a huge add but we need to see more or his Tampa days impact. Anderson I just struggle to see.

I've liked everything I've seen and heard about Holmberg but he can be waived without consequence so I don't see him winning the spot out of camp if it's close.

Reactions: tmlfan98

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well hey you can't knock our votes than not share yours!

I would guess you have Gaudette or Anderson based on your comment? Gaudette could be a huge add but we need to see more or his Tampa days impact. Anderson I just struggle to see.

I've liked everything I've seen and heard about Holmberg but he can be waived without consequence so I don't see him winning the spot out of camp if it's close.

tbh i'm hoping for one of the kids to take it. Robertson or Holmberg or Steeves are my favorites in terms of upside.

I'm not sure Malgin or Gaudette can do anything in preseason to convince me they're even clearcut better short term solutions let alone longterm ones.

BUT, if Malgin or Gaudette really play great and none of the kids do then I won't complain.

But one decent game from Malgin (beside a dominant Willy) isn't close to enough to make me think Malgin should suddenly be the favorite, considering I don't think anyone thought that a week ago.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
If Keefe once again doesn't end up trusting Kerfoot to play 3C full time (Kerfoot was playing C for most of last preseason too), considering how poised Holmberg has looked at C so far I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up taking the 4C job.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Jarnkrok-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Kampf-Engvall
ZAR-Holmberg-NAK

Reactions: TMLAM34 and crump

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
There are players in the Europe that stand out and can carve career in the NHL. I see Malgin as very potential candidate to being productive middle six players for 5-8 seasons. He was stand out in WHC, Olympics and in the NL.

He knows what it takes, is experienced and tier above European competition. We'll see, but I'm hopeful. Occasionally we see players like MZA coming from Europe and taking the spot straight away.

I really like Holmberg but I think it will be Malgin to start. Holmberg doesn't require waivers.
I think Holmberg is a player that can benefit from playing in the AHL. More minutes and bigger role playing in NA sized rink. Players like Malgin or Gaudette have paid their dues there, if they can't make it in the NHL they should head in to Europe. I think Gaudette is on the brink of that if he don't make it. Though when KHL isn't real option anymore there isn't too many places for cast outs from the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad