Undrafted
Thornton
1st OA
Kerfoot
5th rd
Spezza
1st rd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
9 1st rd draft picks, three are 1st overall. That's amazing.

That is cool.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Barring further injuries, Keefe is going to have some difficult decisions to make with the lines. It's likely a given that Brooks and Engvall will sit (even though Brooks has looked good lately). In order to fit Riley Nash into the playoff lineup, one of Galchenyuk, Thornton, Kerfoot, Simmonds or Spezza will have to take a seat. I assume Galchenyuk would be the likeliest to sit.

If so, do we go with this?

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Thornton-Nash-Spezza

or this?

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Nash-Simmonds
Thornton-Kerfoot-Spezza

I think I like option #2 the best. It gives us a lethal but defensively responsible top 6, a nasty 3rd line that could be ideal for matchups, and a great 4th line with Kerfoot's speed to augment the geezers.

Reactions: Lumberg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Our lines in draft picks

Foligno
1st rd
Matthews
1st OA
Marner
1st rd
Gally
1st rd
Tavares
1st OA
Nylander
1st rd
Hyman
5th rd
Nash
1st rd
Mikheyev
Undrafted
Thornton
1st OA
Kerfoot
5th rd
Spezza
1st rd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
9 1st rd draft picks, three are 1st overall. That's amazing.

We traded a first round draft pick for Kerfoot too.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Depending on if you consider Draisaitl a centre, Toronto has one the best 1-2 punches in the league in the middle. Crosby-Malkin, MacKinnon-Kadri, Point-Stamkos, Matthews-Tavares, I think you're probably splitting hairs.

1. Kadri does not belong on this list obviously.
2. Stamkos doesn't play C. He's a W. Their 2C is cirelli.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Best case scenario seea the Leafs playing the Oilers in the 2nd round..they're the team I think that allows the Leafs to play to their strengths the most. That could be a pretty short series in the Leafs favor.

I also think the narrative of the quality of the North vs other divisions has gotten to a ridiculous level. Other fan bases could be in for a very rude Awakening come that 3rd round

weeweeballs

Jan 22, 2021
if Leafs make it out of the North and they should, 2 of Colorado, Vegas, Carolina, and Tampa will have been eliminated.

I'm hoping it's Colorado and Tampa eliminated and the winners beaten up in a war.

Reactions: crump

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Eh even just beating this division won't be enough.

Losing to an elite contender in round 3 won't be any more of an accomplishment than losing to an elite contender in round 1 was the first 3yrs.

Agreed. Especially trading a 1st rounder for a rental sends a clear message that more is expected. We'd have been favoured to make the semis with or without Foligno so if we don't hope to go further than that, what's the point?

If our goaltending holds up, we can probably compete against anyone so that's obviously the big question, everything else looks pretty good at this point.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I like our team scoring, defensive game, depth, PK is good now, PP is coming around again, coaching (except time outs before 5-3’s), want to see an elite shutdown line in action for a few games before the playoffs, the only question I have is goaltending.

Campbell deserves to start the playoffs, like any team, a hot goaltender can swing a series. I just want Campbell to be riding a hot streak going in.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The good news is that, at worst, only one of Vegas and Colorado will make the semi-finals along with only one of Tampa Bay, Florida & Carolina. Hopefully, they take each other the distance and don't have much left ...

In any case, I'd hate to be a team in either the Central or West knowing those are the teams you have to beat just to get out of your division. :help:

That’s how it’s been for us in the Atlantic. So no sympathies. Other teams in the regular division get an easy ride whereas we had to face two top five teams to get to the ECF.

Atlantic next year is also going to be a bloodbath again.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
if Leafs make it out of the North and they should, 2 of Colorado, Vegas, Carolina, and Tampa will have been eliminated.

I'm hoping it's Colorado and Tampa eliminated and the winners beaten up in a war.

Of course you hope it's TB and COL eliminated - because you know that Vegas and Carolina aren't all that scary, despite their nice records this year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'd be looking at Kerfoot, Soup and Galchenyuk on the bubble. Soup provides defensive abilities but plays die on his stick

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
When's the last time 1st place won a cup?
Outliers are what validate statistics and what makes Vegas scary is they aren't a team of a few stars surrounded by others they are a very solid , hard working playoff style team . Maybe watch a few games before judging eh .

Reactions: ACC1224

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Best case scenario seea the Leafs playing the Oilers in the 2nd round..they're the team I think that allows the Leafs to play to their strengths the most. That could be a pretty short series in the Leafs favor.

I also think the narrative of the quality of the North vs other divisions has gotten to a ridiculous level. Other fan bases could be in for a very rude Awakening come that 3rd round

Maybe it's me but the last player I want to play in a series is McDavid lol.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Maybe it's me but the last player I want to play in a series is McDavid lol.

Shutdown line: Foligno Engvall Mikheyev

47/65 for speed to keep up and Foligno to channel his inner Corson vs. Yashin.

Also what is Corson doing these days? There might have a temporary consulting contract open for him for 2 weeks.

Reactions: X66

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This year is a gift. Just winning a round doesn’t cut it. Failure means something is severely wrong with this squad.

short season, everyone is fresh.
All Canadian division, our toughest rivals are elsewhere.
Guaranteed 1 Canadian team final 4.

we should be that 1 team final 4 or fail.

Reactions: LeafsRus

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015

Most ridiculous thing I read here yesterday said the Rangers would be alone in first place if they were in the North division.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs should make it to the top four and be the favorites to win that third series IMO unless we play Colorado who I think is playing better than us. Anything else is a let down. I've got sky high expectations this year and I am ready to be letdown because I think this year is Cup or bust.

This year just feels like our year. I don't know why I feel so optimistic but I just do. I think they're winning it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad