Pre-Game Talk: Time to talk Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
On the flip side, if they eliminate Colorado and TB, don’t they become scary themselves? Either way, Leafs would have to beat a great team in the 3rd round.

Upsets always occur. Leafs just have to make sure they are not one of them, it's always just a percentage assessment on who they might face.

Final Four is the minimum expectation for this team. They should have their sights much higher.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Playoff are a laundry list every year. Just like packing for the cottage. Salt pepper,can opener,beerfridge salt pepper beer,pillow,towel,facecloth,toothbrush,beer

Hope you get the best goaltending and stay disciplined are the 2 staples every year. We are tops in the league with a few teams for even strength goals. Contender because of that. Just play hard,play smart and stay out the box.

Defense first structure that Keefe implemented looks good. I like our chances this year. Hopefully everything binds together perfectly and we win it all.

This team is good as any.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I just hope the leafs have another crack at Boston or Washington. Unfinished business there.

So what would be the ultimate list of teams to go through to a Cup win? Montreal? Boston?
Don't feel the animosity towards Washington. Maybe it was because their one fan wasn't too obnoxious.
Don't know why, but would absolutely love to destroy the Islanders. Tear them apart so bad.
There's a lot of good teams that I don't feel any animosity towards now, and of course would be happy
to see the Leafs beat, but would love the flex of destroying.

Reactions: willmma

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
It really feels different this year, but the pressure is on to make it to at least round 3. I'm confident that they will, but also terrified of getting upset by a Canadian rival.

Montreal
Edmonton
Washington/Boston
Colorado

Would be my ideal path

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It really feels different this year, but the pressure is on to make it to at least round 3. I'm confident that they will, but also terrified of getting upset by a Canadian rival.

Montreal
Edmonton
Washington/Boston
Colorado

Would be my ideal path

For me it's

Montreal
Winnipeg
Vegas
Boston

How sweet would it be to beat Boston in the Cup final? It's possible this year. Although, honestly, I don't see Boston going far. But that's the dream.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Tampa's Cup Run Last Year

BOS: 1st place (& 10th place this year)
DAL: 10th place (& 17th place this year)
NYI: 11th place (& 11th place this year)
CBJ: 14th place (& 28th place this year)

Don't let anyone pretend that the Leafs are going to have some unusually easy playoffs run this year. It's absolute horsepoop.
upload_2021-4-30_15-47-45.jpeg

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Habs-Jets tonight .. Guess we're hoping for a Habs win in regulation?

It would mean the Leafs only need 1 more point or 1 point lost from Winnipeg to make the division a two-horse race.

A Habs win keeps them ahead of the Flames too.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Habs-Jets tonight .. Guess we're hoping for a Habs win in regulation?

It would mean the Leafs only need 1 more point or 1 point lost from Winnipeg to make the division a two-horse race.

A Habs win keeps them ahead of the Flames too.

I hate the habs, so I hope to see them miss, and then see them get a mediocre draft pick. We can take any of Calgary, Montreal or Vancouver.

Jets can lose that when we beat the habs or nucks later this week.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Worth noting a weaker Leafs squad last season had a winning record against the Bolts

I've always felt we match up better against the Lightning than some other teams.

What is a positive with this current Leafs squad is that Dubas has picked up pieces to broaden the type of game they can hang in. Balance is the word I've often used and this team has finally struck it.

Picking up players who can consistently finish is always the most difficult piece of the puzzle to accumulate. They had these offensive players for some time, but now they have more. An improved defense, players who can drive the net, stand in front, throw the odd check and basically grind out a win in the post-season.

You can win a Cup with two top scoring lines and two lines that check/shutdown/create havok with the odd offensive chip in. It's a great balance. Especially if each line performs their role well. It's been some time since the post-season began and the Leafs are one on a short list of favourites to win it all.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
At this rate MTL is going to catch WPG. So Leafs take out Jets, and Habs take out Oilers in Round 1 and we have the ultimate Canadian final.

Hellebucyk doesn't look at all like he did last season, but could get hot at any time.

Right now, if our boys play the way they can, I don't see any of the other teams beating us in a 7 game series.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Could really care less who we face in the first round. Taking out the Oilers is the real prize, their fanbase will go suicidal over losing a playoff series to us.

Reactions: Pinto

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot Nash Mik
Thornton Spezza Simmonds
Extra:Brooks/Gally/Robertson/Engvall

or

Nylander Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Hyman
Kerfoot Nash Mik
Thornton Spezza Simmonds
Extra:Brooks/Gally/Robertson/Engvall

legendary lines

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Could really care less who we face in the first round. Taking out the Oilers is the real prize, their fanbase will go suicidal over losing a playoff series to us.
Kind of means you care unless you couldnt care less.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The good news is that, at worst, only one of Vegas and Colorado will make the semi-finals along with only one of Tampa Bay, Florida & Carolina. Hopefully, they take each other the distance and don't have much left ...

In any case, I'd hate to be a team in either the Central or West knowing those are the teams you have to beat just to get out of your division. :help:

Sounds great but it still means whoever comes out of the North is treated to a tournament against something like Tampa, Boston and Vegas.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
at this point i hope jets end up 4th because they are a mess.

and question last i heard there will be another bubble for rounds 3 to finals. Is this still happening ?

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Here's how i see the playoffs. The North division is the best chance to advance in years for the Leafs. If the Leafs don't win two rounds and get out of the North the season will be a failure in the big picture. That being said I'm not sure you can expect a team to go from three wins in the playoffs to sixteen and win the Cup. Getting to the final four makes the season a success. I'm hoping they go further, but can you realistically expect a Cup after all the first round knockouts? Looking forward to the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->