Pre-Game Talk: Time to talk Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
With 1 CDN team being guaranteed a final 4 spot, I'm really not all that concerned to face Montreal, Edmonton nor Winnipeg on route to get there this year. Toronto is the best team in the North Div and none of those teams play a style of game that Leafs this year can't handle.. There are only 2 players I fear somewhat that could stand in Leafs way to the final 4 and that is a healthy Carey Price and Connor Hellebuyck.

So this year I will be surprised and disappointed if the Leafs aren't the last Canadian team standing all things considered. Once we will be faced with some of those USA based teams however it will be time to re-evaluate and assess our chances. But lets not get too far ahead of ourselves at this point, and cross that bridge when it hopefully presents itself.

Final 4 or Bust this year for Toronto.

idk playoff McD could be the second coming of the great one...we cant take any team lightly. our playoff history has been very bad. i would be happy to just get past the first round vs the Jets.

Reactions: TopCheese

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Games like tonight are exactly why I have zero faith in this team.

I didn't like the effort, I didn't like the intensity (there was none) and I didn't like the lack of a killer instinct once again.

The PP is still shit... they stand around and pass... wow, amazing.

I really hope they prove me wrong in 2 weeks time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Pretty sure Winnipeg is tanking on purpose. They match up much better versus us.

LOL no, they're not tanking. Don't be silly.

I didn't like the effort, I didn't like the intensity (there was none) and I didn't like the lack of a killer instinct once again.

This is an elite team, faith has nothing to do with it.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
LOL no, they're not tanking. Don't be silly.

This is an elite team, faith has nothing to do with it.

My faith doesn't matter, of course lol. But until they do some damage in the playoffs, they are still the same team to me. Like what I have seen overall this season, but I still see some a lot of concerning things. Their eliteness is TBD imo.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Can't win them all.

Over the course of a regular season, you will have all sorts of games including endings like these.

Their intensity in the playoffs is going to be a lot higher than a regular-season game against the Habs while holding a 9 pt lead over 2nd place.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

What was your tune for the previous 5 games?

I agree about the PP, but intensity doesn't really matter in a meaningless game. The effort was there.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
What was your tune for the previous 5 games?

I agree about the PP, but intensity doesn't really matter in a meaningless game. The effort was there.

Over the past 5 I felt their intensity was higher, and other than the 1st period against the Canucks on Saturday they really took care of the puck. They also brought a real tight defensive effort in the 3rd of all those games. They played fairly loose tonight, looked somewhat disinterested. Fore sure, it happens and agree with a 9 point lead on second maybe it was a good one to snooze through. Like I said, I'll be happy to be proven wrong; happy would be an understatement.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Over the past 5 I felt their intensity was higher, and other than the 1st period against the Canucks on Saturday they really took care of the puck. They also brought a real tight defensive effort in the 3rd of all those games. They played fairly loose tonight, looked somewhat disinterested. Fore sure, it happens and agree with a 9 point lead on second maybe it was a good one to snooze through. Like I said, I'll be happy to be proven wrong; happy would be an understatement.

I thought tonight they were playing a very quiet shut it down road game, low event, let's get the 2 points and get out of here type thing, which I didn't mind, but at some point they lulled themselves into energy saver mode and didn't have the killer instinct to wake up and finish it. Didn't think it was a train wreck but a fine line between a routine win and just letting it slip away.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
I thought tonight they were playing a very quiet shut it down road game, low event, let's get the 2 points and get out of here type thing, which I didn't mind, but at some point they lulled themselves into energy saver mode and didn't have the killer instinct to wake up and finish it. Didn't think it was a train wreck but a fine line between a routine win and just letting it slip away.

I think they did what they needed to do most nights to win - locking down and playing low event hockey is a skill this team needs. Keefe putting out that weird group with Matthews on his weak side to take that draw at the end was clearly him trying to help Matthews get his 40th in a game that didn't matter (1 point or 2 points are basically the same at this point), and it backfired. Worth it - as it would've been massive for the team if he got the 40th.

If anyone is using a meaningless game like this as a measuring stick for this team, give your head a shake.

The OT was a bit of a shit show, but it's supposed to be, and doesn't exist when it matters.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

Well said. And what you describe I feel like I watched in the play in round last season too. My worry is that they think they can flick a switch... history says that is not gonna happen. They need to bring some sort of decent effort down the stretch here to at least show themselves they are ready for playoff hockey. Lets see how the next two go vs the toilet seats... if we go 0-3 my level of concern will be higher, not Nic Cage high, but working its way up the LV strip.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A healthy Habs lineup with Price at the top of his game might give us more trouble than the Jets based on their current form.

I would love to see a Leafs-Habs playoff series, but if it doesn't happen in the first round, it could benefit us.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well said. And what you describe I feel like I watched in the play in round last season too. My worry is that they think they can flick a switch... history says that is not gonna happen. They need to bring some sort of decent effort down the stretch here to at least show themselves they are ready for playoff hockey. Lets see how the next two go vs the toilet seats... if we go 0-3 my level of concern will be higher, not Nic Cage high, but working its way up the LV strip.

If you're nursing a 2-1 lead in the playoffs, the more successful approach is actually to up your energy level and forecheck harder as the game winds down. What you want to do is skate harder, get the forechecker in deeper, make your stand at the opposition blueline and just start clogging and layering and disrupting and killing momentum as far from your own zone as possible while creating turnovers vs a more and more desperate team. You don't want to be fading and collapsing to the slot to let the other team siege you at will. Not saying this as criticism of one faceoff loss in the last minute of tonight but that's what you would like to see in a similar 2-1 situation in a live playoff matchup.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Can’t win every game. Didn’t like some things, but would rather lose a game or two to keep them humble.

The excitement in the Habs PGT is at epic levels - let them believe for a night.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My faith doesn't matter, of course lol. But until they do some damage in the playoffs, they are still the same team to me. Like what I have seen overall this season, but I still see some a lot of concerning things. Their eliteness is TBD imo.

Same team ... cling to the past if you must, no good reason to do so though IMO. Team's different every year, simple as that.

Reactions: wingman75

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I mean....the leafs were in control of the game all the way.

2 goals when they had an extra skater. It happens.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Same team ... cling to the past if you must, no good reason to do so though IMO. Team's different every year, simple as that.

Except the one I've been cheering for has been the exact same my entire life except for 4 years. I get what you are saying. I will patiently wait for the playoffs to come to be amazed... hopefully. I am 100% onboard, but a big piece of me is saying 'hey man, been down this road before, calm your shit'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad