Pre-Game Talk: Time to talk Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Am I the only one that just does not give a shit who we play in the 1st round? Like it is entirely irrelevant to me. Just beat them and we should beat whoever it is.
This right here. Doesn't matter if it's Montreal, Winnipeg, or Edmonton. We've proven all season long we're the best team in the North and we should 100% beat whoever we play in the 1st round. We have a winning record against every single team in the North, we need to stop panicking about who we're possibly playing and just WIN. It's time to win a round. Enough's enough.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Am I the only one that just does not give a shit who we play in the 1st round? Like it is entirely irrelevant to me. Just beat them and we should beat whoever it is.
100% man. I couldn't care less if we get the division title or not. It makes no difference who we play or where we end up in the standings. We are by far the best team top to bottom in the division and should win in any series. I think some people are forgetting that the 3 other teams going to the playoffs desperately don't want to face us in R1. For good reason. We've been playing meaningless hockey for over 2 months. The boys will ramp it up here in a week or so, and will crush it

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I would be upset if we didn't win the division. It was never really close and I would not be happy if a run by the Oil vs the lowly Canucks lets them pass us.

The good news is we are quite a bit ahead of them and we control our destiny. Just make sure that we don't have another slide and get 5 points in 4 games.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008

I was a bit nervous about the Habs but now I really want that match up. Leafs are simply better and that will show over a series.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was a bit nervous about the Habs but now I really want that match up. Leafs are simply better and that will show over a series.

The Habs will only have a chance if the Leafs fall asleep or shoot themselves in the foot. If they come out hungry for the series win, focused and apply all the good development they've shown for long stretches this year and the goaltending is its usual high quality with Campbell, it's their series to win.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Vancouver in the 2nd has so far shutout the oilers and are up 1-0. Here's hoping they can win a game and keep McDavid off the sheet as well.

Well that didn't age well. lol! 3-1 Oilers McDavid with 2 assists, end of 2nd.

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Unless Price stands on his head.
Wump wump wump
upload_2021-5-5_3-12-35.gif

Reactions: Rocker13

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
100% man. I couldn't care less if we get the division title or not. It makes no difference who we play or where we end up in the standings. We are by far the best team top to bottom in the division and should win in any series. I think some people are forgetting that the 3 other teams going to the playoffs desperately don't want to face us in R1. For good reason. We've been playing meaningless hockey for over 2 months. The boys will ramp it up here in a week or so, and will crush it

How does it not make a difference where we end up in the standings, of course it does.

Yes we should win any series but still, it would be nice to win the division which is something we haven't done in ages. We've been in first for over 3 months I believe, sliding to second in the last week of the season is not a good way to head into the playoffs.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
How does it not make a difference where we end up in the standings, of course it does.

Yes we should win any series but still, it would be nice to win the division which is something we haven't done in ages. We've been in first for over 3 months I believe, sliding to second in the last week of the season is not a good way to head into the playoffs.

Agree. We need to win 3 of the next 4 to be safe.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I get what you're saying, yes, but in the grand scheme of things regular season division wins are meaningless. Nobody will remember that Leafs finished 1st place if they don't make the final 4. I personally don't get any extra thrill out of it. If you finish 1st, you get the Habs or Jets. If you finish 2nd you get the Habs or Jets. What is the difference? You don't get some huge advantage by finishing 1st. But, yes, I want the Leafs to win their remaining regular season games so they can go into the playoffs with some confidence and swagger.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Loseipeg is falling apart and might be our first round match up. Who would be the easier match up Jets or Habs?

Habs...they both have goalies that can flat out go god mode and make the series miserable for us...Habs are better defensively but Winnipeg has the horses up front to go against us (we are still better but they are the closest) in terms of entertainment it’s Winnipeg hands down as the Habs will play that boring trap heavy style as they can’t compete skill vs skill

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
+1. I want MTL so bad I can taste it!

In response to the post you responded to MTL beating Edmonton wouldn’t be an upset 2-4 is really a toss up in terms of whose better...they’re all specialized

MTL: goaltending and trap happy Defence
WPG: goaltending and a top 6 that can absolutely kill you opportunistically
Edm: McDrai end of story maybe Nurse if you’re feeling generous

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Right now Winnipeg and Montreal are tied in points and games played and sitting tied for 3rd or battling for 4th depending on how you want to look at it.

One of these 2 teams is going to be Leafs 1st round opponent.

I was hoping for a Leafs / Canadiens original 6 match-up, but how the Leafs perform head to head vs the Habs this week likely to determine that outcome, although the last game of the season outcome vs Jets might be the final deciding factor how this all plays out.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

The rationalization begins. (the post you quoted)

Next on the agenda, injuries and "we were resting" :DD

Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I get what you're saying, yes, but in the grand scheme of things regular season division wins are meaningless. Nobody will remember that Leafs finished 1st place if they don't make the final 4. I personally don't get any extra thrill out of it. If you finish 1st, you get the Habs or Jets. If you finish 2nd you get the Habs or Jets. What is the difference? You don't get some huge advantage by finishing 1st. But, yes, I want the Leafs to win their remaining regular season games so they can go into the playoffs with some confidence and swagger.

I think one thing is that this era of the Leafs have been unable to get it done when it counts... Seeing the Leafs' lock up the division can be seen as an indication that they're starting to figure it out. There's no doubt this roster has the talent and depth to make a run, but at this point it's almost a mental thing.. So locking up the division, when they've had a strong lead for so much of the season is a good benchmark.

They just need 5 points in their next 4 games .. So it's not a big ask, and should be easily attainable. But we've seen this group come up short before.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Once the playoffs are done, nobody cares about the regular season, agree with you there. I still don't want to head to the playoffs on a down note and overall standings matter for seeding in the 3rd round so not completely irrelevant.

I also took issue with the statement that winning the division has no impact on the standings - of course it does as if you win you're higher in the standings then if you don't. So give me those nit points, I think I've earned them. :laugh::laugh:

In response to the post you responded to MTL beating Edmonton wouldn’t be an upset 2-4 is really a toss up in terms of whose better...they’re all specialized

MTL: goaltending and trap happy Defence
WPG: goaltending and a top 6 that can absolutely kill you opportunistically
Edm: McDrai end of story maybe Nurse if you’re feeling generous

We should be favoured against all of them but ATM I'd say EDM would be the toughest opponent based on the overall standings, goal differential and the fact that they're on a roll. So yeah, I'm glad that we get to warm up on a lesser opponent in the 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad