Pre-Game Talk: Time to talk Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I understand that we are all here with a fragile psyche when it comes to the Leafs lol. We are scared. So we are choosy as to our first round opponent. I am saying that we shouldn't fear Montreal if we think our team is as good as we think. But I get it. We can not be 100% confident in this team.

It's hard to analyze yourself but thinking about it now, I don't think I'm scared at all, at least no more than the usual nerves before competition. Any team can lose and so on so you can never be 100% confident but other than that, I feel more confident than ever with this group and I believe we will win the first two rounds no matter who we play.

As far as all the analysis of a potential COL matchup goes, not sure why nobody has mentioned goaltending. Perhaps because it's not in our favour so best to not think about it? The goalie is the most important guy on the team, this is true for every playoff series. Grubauer has a lengthy track record, including stellar performances in the playoffs for a few years running. Campbell on the other hand is looking good but the sample size is still small, there are concerns re. his durability (physical and mental) and he's never played in a playoff game. COL can pretty much count on quality goaltending while we're merely hoping for the same. So ... if our goaltending holds up, the COL matchup should be a very interesting one. If not, then the rest won't matter.

On the bright side, Campbell is indeed looking good lately so it's certainly possible he's up to the task. And if he falters there's always the outside chance either Rittich or Andersen steps in and plays well but that seems like a long shot so ... godspeed Jack!

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
No chance Kerfoot sits. Not sure why some fans really dislike him.
It's not that I dislike him, he just doesn't do very much out there. He has speed and is adequate defensively and that's about it. Not very good offensively, doesn't create opportunities often, weak on the puck, not overly physical, etc.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's not that I dislike him, he just doesn't do very much out there. He has speed and is adequate defensively and that's about it. Not very good offensively, doesn't create opportunities often, weak on the puck, not overly physical, etc.

I think I agree with most of this but I don’t find him to be particularly weak on the puck. He’s no Hyman but he does bring energy on the forecheck and in the corners, he’s fine on the cycle. At worst I’d say he has average 2nd liner strength on the puck :dunno:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
For me there is a mismatch of expectations for guys like Kerfoot. He's playing 3rd line minutes, minimal PP time, primarily used in a defensive and PK role - what are the point total expectations for a guy like that? I'm not sure what they are but it seems they are a lot higher than what the reality of the situation dictates.

Kerfoot has 19 ES points this season (1 pp assist and 1 SHG as well), doesn't sound like a lot but that's good for a tie for 132nd in the league. Again doesn't sounds great at first but then you realize there are 186 "top 6" players in the league.

Take a look at some of the guys he's tied with for ES pts:
Kadri, Atkinson, Monahan, Gurianov, Domi, Dadonov, Beauvillier, Kubalik, Hoffman

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last season in the play-in round against Columbus I was very concern that despite this being a top 3 offense going against a lowly bottom 3 one, that our Leafs were going be in a lot of trouble and could be knocked out before they even got in.. It wasn't a popular opinion at the time that CBJ who swept TB the year prior were going to bring the same winning playbook again and if Leafs don't have an answer they're done.

That is because I know the Leafs do not fare well against hard hitting, tight checking, aggressive forechecking teams that play defense first. So the outcome wasn't a surprise yet none-the-less still disappointing.

However this year due to realignment and thus facing much easier QofC and the fact that Leafs have finally woken up, and added players like Simmonds and Foligno and Bogosian etc they're more prepared for playoff style hockey, and also better suited to a wider range of opposition.

With 1 CDN team being guaranteed a final 4 spot, I'm really not all that concerned to face Montreal, Edmonton nor Winnipeg on route to get there this year. Toronto is the best team in the North Div and none of those teams play a style of game that Leafs this year can't handle.. There are only 2 players I fear somewhat that could stand in Leafs way to the final 4 and that is a healthy Carey Price and Connor Hellebuyck.

So this year I will be surprised and disappointed if the Leafs aren't the last Canadian team standing all things considered. Once we will be faced with some of those USA based teams however it will be time to re-evaluate and assess our chances. But lets not get too far ahead of ourselves at this point, and cross that bridge when it hopefully presents itself.

Final 4 or Bust this year for Toronto.

Last edited:

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Last season in the play-in round against Columbus I was very concern that despite this being a top 3 offense going against a lowly bottom 3 one, that our Leafs were going be in a lot of trouble and could be knocked out before they even got in.. It wasn't a popular opinion at the time that CBJ who swept TB the year prior were going to bring the same winning playbook again and if Leafs don't have an answer they're done.

That is because I know the Leafs do not fare well against hard hitting, tight checking, aggressive forechecking teams that play defense first. So the outcome wasn't a surprise yet none-the-less still disappointing.

However this year due to realignment and thus facing much easier QofC and the fact that Leafs have finally woken up, and added players like Simmonds and Foligno and Bogosian etc they're more prepared for playoff style hockey, and also better suited to a wider range of opposition.

With 1 CDN team being guaranteed a final 4 spot, I'm really not all that concerned to face Montreal, Edmonton nor Winnipeg on route to get there this year. Toronto is the best team in the North Div and none of those teams play a style of game that Leafs this year can't handle.. There are only 2 players I fear somewhat that could stand in Leafs way the final 4 and that is a healthy Carey Price and Connor Hellebuyck.

So this year I will be surprised and disappointed if the Leafs aren't the last Canadian team standing all things considered. Once we will be faced with some of those USA based teams however it will be time to re-evaluate and assess our chances. But lets not get too far ahead of ourselves at this point, and cross that bridge when it hopefully presents itself.

Well said.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leaf Nation has been staring at this historic reality check fact long enough and its high time they issue an update on this.

upload_2021-5-3_6-15-10.png

Reactions: The Assclown

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

With 1 CDN team being guaranteed a final 4 spot, I'm really not all that concerned to face Montreal, Edmonton nor Winnipeg on route to get there this year. Toronto is the best team in the North Div and none of those teams play a style of game that Leafs this year can't handle.. There are only 2 players I fear somewhat that could stand in Leafs way to the final 4 and that is a healthy Carey Price and Connor Hellebuyck.

Exactly this and that's also why I'm getting nervous this year. Aside from last season, we've never really been considered a favorite in any of our first round matches. This year it would sting a bit more to lose in the first couple of rounds. They really have such a golden opportunity to get to the final 4 and even the finals... that would just be insane to see.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Folingo-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev
Kerfoot-Nash-Simmonds

This is our best lineup. That Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev line was just to dominant to not put back together. They completely shut down McDavid for 3 straight games.

Reactions: LFCTML

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hyman Matthews Marner
Gally Tavares Nylander
Mik Nash Simmonds
Thornton Brooks Spezza
Out: Kerfoot, Engvall

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Think there is some chemistry developing with Nick, Mitch and Auston now. Looked a bit disjointed early on in terms of the passing. To be expected. But it seemed to be really working for these guys in the last game. They could have easily had another 2 goals as a line that night. Nick looks to have really simplified his game. Retrieve pucks, and dish to the big boys. Every assist he has had has not been overwhelming, but he is doing the right things to get the pucks to our best players. What more can you really ask for TBH. Not to mention he undoubtingly does things in that room that we as a fanbase will never be privy to. All of which contribute to a winning culture. But it is nice to see him put up points to go along with those intangibles. It's becoming clear to me he should be on that top line come playoffs. Not because he is better than Hyman, but because he can clearly help that line and it will allow us to roll 3 very very solid lines by moving Hyman down.

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Gally - Tavares - Willy
Hyman - Kerfoot - Micheyev

top 9 for me is pretty well set TBH. Think that is our best combo for those players. 4th line I could really go with any of the following :

Jumbo - Spezza - Simmonds
Jumbo -Nash - Spezza
Jumbo - Brooks - Spezza

2 mainstay's being Jumbo and Spezza. Need those guys on the bench IMO 1000000%

Reactions: The Cobra

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen. Im hyped for the playoffs. We have an awesome team and we will crush it.

It doesn't matter if we face Habs or Jets, I believe that we will win
bring on McDavid and I believe that we will win
take on teams in the Semi-Finals and Finals, and I believe that we will win

(This is my first and last attempt at making a hype video. enjoy)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Presidents trophy within reach. It would be incredible to get, but it would also give us home advantage all the way through the playoffs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Presidents trophy within reach. It would be incredible to get, but it would also give us home advantage all the way through the playoffs.

that last little losing streak really hurt our chances there. teams like vegas and carolina simply haven't had the goalie slumps that we've had this year.

We'd have to run the table to finish 1st I think, and even that might not be enough.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
Ladies and gentlemen. Im hyped for the playoffs. We have an awesome team and we will crush it.

It doesn't matter if we face Habs or Jets, I believe that we will win
bring on McDavid and I believe that we will win
take on teams in the Semi-Finals and Finals, and I believe that we will win

(This is my first and last attempt at making a hype video. enjoy)

I like it! I nominate this video to be part of all of our playoff GDT, would be a cool tradition for this year.

Reactions: willmma

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Is it possible that the playoffs start on Wednesday May 19th? If both Vancouver and Calgary are eliminated from playoff contention by then, maybe we can start that day?

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
No many how many words you surround this with and how many times you ignore the truth, every division has a guaranteed final 4 spot.

agreed. plus the post seemed to overlook that they are all canadian teams lol. its like saying there is a guaranteed spot for at least one American team in this years Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad