GDT: Time to shine boys! HuGo answering questions live on Twitch!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think a lot of fans knew, Mol$on waited far too long to come to this conclusion, so he is still showing a poor grade as an owner in my books.
That said, winning will cure this grade over the next few years. You have to love the intelligence and reasoning being used now, as we move forward.

I think the timing of when contracts end or start and how much money to write off is a factor. He did wait to long and most of us would agree on that but us fans are not the ones who would have had to write off millions of dollars.

His critical error was extending him when he had 1.75 years left on the previous contract. Once extended, you're basically married to him. I believe he was extended for 5 years on Nov 25, 2015 but that didn't start until the 17/18 season. The events that happened in the last 1.75 years and the 1st few years of his new deal was a downward spiral. Even firing him in 2019 required us to write off probably $15M

Reactions: BLONG7 and tazsub3

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I must have said this a hundred times. Molson's biggest mistake was extending Bergevin when he had 1.75 years left on the previous contract. Way too much money to write off. And the events that happened after Bergevin was extended was a downward spiral. Price injured, Subban traded, Markov/Radulov walked, Alzner contract. That middle 3rd of Bergevin's tenure was panful no doubt.
Yeah, that extension managed to simultaneously be:
-Premature
-Incredibly long
-Not quite proportional to our playoff success. Sure we came close and Price got injured, but extending a GM that early and to such length without so much as an actual SC final appearance to show for it isn't exactly the definition of "well deserved".

Adding to it the warning signs of riding on Price and the inherited core for our success with little effort to add to it, that was indeed a recipe for disaster.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Nice to listen to that « presser »

They really love Pezzetta! Very nice to hear!

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Lets face it, if we finish just before the playoffs next season, their will be some fans who get mad about that. Should have done this, done that, etc.
There will, but not as many. I strongly believe most believe in a rebuild. As long as there's clear progress and we can clearly see they're acquiring quality prospects. The proof will be in what prospects are in Laval and how they're doing. And then, if the graduate. Otherwise, they'd just be doing what MB had did for almost 10 years.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There was some cringe aspect to this with some weird questions, and chantal trying to get the iPad to work, but I like the idea of what they are trying to do.

We will see if they continue down this path when these guys find themselves more under the gun.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There was some cringe aspect to this with some weird questions, and chantal trying to get the iPad to work, but I like the idea of what they are trying to do.

We will see if they continue down this path when these guys find themselves more under the gun.

yes they wasted time that way, they should have had people submit questions the day before so they can pick out the ones they can answer and ones that are good questions.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think the timing of when contracts end or start and how much money to write off is a factor. He did wait to long and most of us would agree on that but us fans are not the ones who would have had to write off millions of dollars.

His critical error was extending him when he had 1.75 years left on the previous contract. Once extended, you're basically married to him. I believe he was extended for 5 years on Nov 25, 2015 but that didn't start until the 17/18 season. The events that happened in the last 1.75 years and the 1st few years of his new deal was a downward spiral. Even firing him in 2019 required us to write off probably $15M
Absolutely agree, most of the horror show happened, and it didn't have to...............this is on Mol$on...he had no idea that CP31 was the reason MB and MT were extended....both of the clowns should have been fired instead of extended at that time......sad. Then came the summer of 17 which was the begining of the end....

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad