GDT: Time to shine boys! HuGo answering questions live on Twitch!

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The difference between this management team and the last ones are night and day. Can you imagine Pierre Gauthier doing one of these?

It's such a breathe of fresh air.
It is, but we'll see how accessible they are if they meet with failure or controversy.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
It is, but we'll see how accessible they are if they meet with failure or controversy.
we're last in the league? I think it's pretty much as low as they can be and playing that friendly / accessible side to them will make the rebuild a lot easier than standing behind an iron curtain

Reactions: Runner77

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
we're last in the league? I think it's pretty much as low as they can be and playing that friendly / accessible side to them will make the rebuild a lot easier than standing behind an iron curtain

I think you misunderstand. It doesn't matter that they're last. They're both in a honeymoon period. It's easy to be accessible and transparent at this stage because they're not responsible for the current state of the team. Once they're on the hook, my expectation is that they will close up a bit. Questions will get harsher, there will be a track record to point to, mistakes, etc. It's the normal trajectory of management/politicians/leaders.

That said, super happy with this format and with the fact we've moved into the 21st century.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think you misunderstand. It doesn't matter that they're last. They're both in a honeymoon period. It's easy to be accessible and transparent at this stage because they're not responsible for the current state of the team. Once they're on the hook, my expectation is that they will close up a bit. Questions will get harsher, there will be a track record to point to, mistakes, etc. It's the normal trajectory of management/politicians/leaders.

That said, super happy with this format and with the fact we've moved into the 21st century.

Very fair. The real evaluation comes in about 3 years IMO. In that timeframe, there will up/downs but what is the general track and what are the holes when we look at what we got in 3 years time.

All we know right now is we are off to great start with moving towards more youth. But the context into what they are saying for their strategy is solid

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

You make some good points, but let's be honest here. They DID make more moves in a couple weeks than MB did in 2 years. I'd say they are still being judged. I get what you're saying though.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It will be but BPA varies depending on who you ask and where you are picking. I support BPA and not drafting for need but so many fans use BPA narrative after the draft and years later which is hindsight evaluation.

Tkachuk was certainly not BPA at the 3rd pick when you added up all the comments on our boards. There were many who hated the idea of taking him. Reality

I think there was no clear BPA at #3 when you can remove what you know today. Zadina, Tkachuk, KK, Boqvist, Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard were all names that popped up. Way to easy to act like an expert today knowing what you know today.

KK was reach by a few picks and a picked based on team need. That was the critical error

I fully support their strategy of BPA and I agree that what who they draft may differ then what the fan base wants, that ok. It's the direction and strategy that this org needs badly.

The problem with the last regime is they drafted by need. Number 3 picks have to pan out, they must bring valuable pieces to the organization. KK was a mistake because he was picked higher than he should have been, his game had/has serious flaws, and they rushed him. They made the same mistake with AG. It was a failure of scouting and mgt strategy.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You make some good points, but let's be honest here. They DID make more moves in a couple weeks than MB did in 2 years. I'd say they are still being judged. I get what you're saying though.

Lets face it, if we finish just before the playoffs next season, their will be some fans who get mad about that. Should have done this, done that, etc.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I f***ing love these two. I don't even care if we suck for 30 years. They've got a plan. They're well spoken. And they just seem so likeable. Bergevin... I grew to hate not just because of his terrible moves but because he was so smug, arrogant, and unlikeable.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Did anyone ask about the scouting + their scouting track record?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Real talk - listening to Hughes and Gorton talk and seeing some of their moves so far (though the jury is still out on that)....I think i'm realizing that i've underestimated how behind we were as an organization from a management perspective.
It's incredibly exciting to imagine what even just baseline competency in terms of modern management practices will do for a team with effectively unlimited money.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I f***ing love these two. I don't even care if we suck for 30 years. They've got a plan. They're well spoken. And they just seem so likeable. Bergevin... I grew to hate not just because of his terrible moves but because he was so smug, arrogant, and unlikeable.
you read my mind and wrote my exact thoughts on those two and the fool we had to suffer through for 10 years. We are now operated like a multi billion dollar business should be.

Reactions: Natey

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I liked the presser. Liked the formula, Chantal is a great host of course.

They could not OPEN the door on Chiarot coming back because that would be tempering, but they COULD HAVE shut the door and they didn't. Remember, Chiarot is a rare player who actually PREFERS playing in Canada. He might just return.

I know there's a bunch of issues associated with it, but for the final home game in a season where we are dead last? Sign Markov so he plays his 1000th game. Streit got to finish here, and he struggled big time getting his carcass past the finish line, and I know Markov did too since he never played anywhere else in the NHL, but who cares if we play with 11 forwards and 7 Ds or something in the final game. Have a picture taken with Romanov while you're at it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I liked the presser. Liked the formula, Chantal is a great host of course.

They could not OPEN the door on Chiarot coming back because that would be tempering, but they COULD HAVE shut the door and they didn't. Remember, Chiarot is a rare player who actually PREFERS playing in Canada. He might just return.

I know there's a bunch of issues associated with it, but for the final home game in a season where we are dead last? Sign Markov so he plays his 1000th game. Streit got to finish here, and he struggled big time getting his carcass past the finish line, and I know Markov did too since he never played anywhere else in the NHL, but who cares if we play with 11 forwards and 7 Ds or something in the final game. Have a picture taken with Romanov while you're at it.
I think The General needs 10 games..............you have a great idea, if it's one game though. For some reason I am thinking he was 990 played?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I must have said this a hundred times. Molson's biggest mistake was extending Bergevin when he had 1.75 years left on the previous contract. Way too much money to write off. And the events that happened after Bergevin was extended was a downward spiral. Price injured, Subban traded, Markov/Radulov walked, Alzner contract. That middle 3rd of Bergevin's tenure was panful no doubt.
you're both right, and it's funny for me to watch and read fans of other teams starting to get nervous about habs finally having an extremely competent management team, because with the prestige of the organization and financial might, habs could truly be consistently elite again for a very long time

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
At least host a Andrei Markov night, he deserves a proper sendoff and a standing ovation for being one of the greatest Habs defenseman in history.

I’ll ask the question to Jeff Gorton in his next Twitch roundtable.
Couldn't agree more!! Markov was so underrated, even by habs fans................ and especially by his own clown GM.
5 years later, and we still do not have a replacement.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I thought Bergevin was an idiot the moment he hired Therrien so my honeymoon phase lasts about as long as it takes for them to make an absolute brain dead move.

For Gainey it was the Gomez deal.
I think someone pointed out that Gainey wasn't with the Habs at the time as that's when his daughter went missing, but I could be wrong.

Anything of note that was said ?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Credit to Molson for setting up this new management structure. Those two fit well together and they are off to a great start. They clearly know what they are doing and we appear to be in good hands.

Thank you Bergevin/Timmins but Gorton/Hughes will take it from here :)
I think a lot of fans knew, Mol$on waited far too long to come to this conclusion, so he is still showing a poor grade as an owner in my books.
That said, winning will cure this grade over the next few years. You have to love the intelligence and reasoning being used now, as we move forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad