Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Oh dear god, not Editor in Leaf please

1629370692893.gif

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
All you need to know is that if the Leaf's were crushing it right now, he would definitely be saying that it's still mostly Dubas's team and Dubas deserves all the credit.

Brilliant little scenario built. If the Leafs fail its because Treliving has been trash but if the same team does well, it's mostly because of the amazing work Dubas did.

I mean the players that are failing are Treliving's signings for the most part... it is hard to say that Treliving has not been failing thus far.

But I will repeat for the 30th times, new system, new players, give it more time, no one needs to panick.

I don't want to write off anyone yet, including Treliving... I don't like him as a GM after what he did in Calgary, but it'd be nice to give the team more time to gel before making it a big issue.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I mean the players that are failing are Treliving's signings for the most part... it is hard to say that Treliving has not been failing thus far.

But I will repeat for the 30th times, new system, new players, give it more time, no one needs to panick.

I don't want to write off anyone yet, including Treliving... I don't like him as a GM after what he did in Calgary, but it'd be nice to give the team more time to gel before making it a big issue.

Sure the new additions haven't been great but neither Matthews or Marner have had great starts and our projected starting goaltender has been absolutely terrible.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Knies matthews kane(sign him)
Bertuzzi Tavares marner

We need a third line who can score and play big minutes
Domi Nylander Robertson (I’m sure nylander can run his own line if given a chance)
Get rid of kampf and janrok get a couple of dman

• Love
Reactions: TMLife17

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Surethe new additions haven't been great but neither Matthews or Marner have had great starts and our projected starting goaltender has been absolutely terrible.

The starter was re-signed by the current GM, although I don't think Sammy is this bad and the signing was fine.

The top 6 hasn't looked great (minus Nylander/Tavares), but I have more faith in them bouncing back than the bottom 6.

The bottom 6 has been a total mess and we need something to happen there.

Treliving's signings:

Reaves (should be in the minors)
Klingberg (absolute mess defensively)
Sammy (should be able to bounce back to at least be a very good backup)
Bertuzzi (disappointing, but has shown flashes of what he can do)
Domi (disappointing, hopefully, he can find success being the passenger on a line since he doesn't look like he can drive anything)
Holmberg (playing well, has stabilized the 4th line to some degree)
Gregor (fine for what was expected, but we gave up a better player than him)

Outside of Holmberg/Gregor it has been very disappointing.

Like I said, we need more time, because I think some of these players will look a lot better by game 20 than they do now, but it is a bad start for him for sure.

Now there are also lots of guys who haven't looked good that were here before as well and we know they can play better, this is why I am hoping with some more games the system will become for familiar to everyone and some chemistry will form because right now the team sucks.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The starter was re-signed by the current GM, although I don't think Sammy is this bad and the signing was fine.

The top 6 hasn't looked great (minus Nylander/Tavares), but I have more faith in them bouncing back than the bottom 6.

The bottom 6 has been a total mess and we need something to happen there.

Treliving's signings:

Reaves (should be in the minors)
Klingberg (absolute mess defensively)
Sammy (should be able to bounce back to at least be a very good backup)
Bertuzzi (disappointing, but has shown flashes of what he can do)
Domi (disappointing, hopefully, he can find success being the passenger on a line since he doesn't look like he can drive anything)
Holmberg (playing well, has stabilized the 4th line to some degree)
Gregor (fine for what was expected, but we gave up a better player than him)

Outside of Holmberg/Gregor it has been very disappointing.

Like I said, we need more time, because I think some of these players will look a lot better by game 20 than they do now, but it is a bad start for him for sure.

Now there are also lots of guys who haven't looked good that were here before as well and we know they can play better, this is why I am hoping with some more games the system will become for familiar to everyone and some chemistry will form because right now the team sucks.

Yes and if this lackluster play continues, Treliving having a poor first offseason is definitely not promising but at least we didn't make some huge win now move, trade Nylander or lock into some boat anchor contract that would tie our hands.

Bertuzzi for me has been the most underwhelming and our lack of a offensively stable 3rd line center is limiting our ability to have good balance.

We also don't really know how great of a coach Keefe is. I don't hate him as much as some others but he needs to get this thing rolling better because this certainly isn't a overall talent issue.

We need to wait at least like 20 games. Heck if we win tonight on the road against a good BOS team we'll be 6-4 while not playing our best hockey and our #1 tender being bad.

Reactions: ToneDog

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The writer is a Dubas sycophant.

His articles always praised any move Dubas made, and argued that the Leafs were the best team in the NHL for years under him.

The minute Dubas was relieved, suddenly the organization could do nothing right.

Nothing he writes should be taken seriously.
Sounds like some posters here. Wonder if they are the same 🤔

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
James Tanner is a tool. Last year, the team was amazing, every blog he wrote praised the Leafs. Ever since Dubas left, every blog has been negative. He never gave Treliving a chance. He pounced on Tre's moves right from the start without watching at least 10 games. Pay no attention to him. I read his articles for entertainment just to see what nonsensical hyperbolic musings he's going to spew.
Sounds like some of the 'biased' members here.

• Haha
Reactions: egd27

mjd1001

May 24, 2022

Toronto Maple Leafs: Time to Panic​

To a man, all of the signings that Brad Treliving made in the summer are working out poorly. The best one, Bertuzzi, has decent peripheral numbers, but basically zero production.

The rest are an unmitigated disaster.

Ryan Reaves is not an NHL player.

John Klingberg is not an NHL player.

David Kampf should not be playing on a contender.

Max Domi, if he is an NHL player, isn’t a very good one.

And the coach is terrible.

His best defenseman does not get the most minutes (that’d be Timothy Liljegren).

He keeps playing Calle Jarnkrok on the first line. Auston Matthews has been completely invisible since they were paired together.

The Knies-Kampf-Domi line is the worst combination of players in the history of the NHL. The Leafs are wasting Knies’ talents on a third line that has two completely opposite one dimensional players.

And the fourth line, last night, had a 0% Expected Goals Rating. Ryan Reaves is the worst player to ever get a regular shift on the Leafs since they’ve been competitive and signing him to a 3 Year Deal was one of the biggest bone-head moves in the history of a franchise that has bordered on being a complete joke for the better part of it’s 100 year existence.

More at …

Source:

I think the team will not do as well during the regular season. But maybe some moves made will make them harder to play against in the playoffs ?

Tre keeping Keefe is a very bad sign. He should be replaced when a top tier coach becomes available. Keefe didn’t play Knies, overplayed Samsonov and Holl last playoffs. He consistently doesn’t field the best team.
It is early. This team is playing currently at a 100 point pace. Beat a Boston team that has top players missing on the blue line and then a struggling Buffalo team (both very do-able) and you are up to a 112 point pace in 3 days from now.

If in those games they only get 1 point out of a possible 4, I will THINK the time to panic MIGHT be approaching, but I still won't be there yet. I don't want to think about panic until the 20 game point of the season. They have 22 points or less after 20 games, that is the line for me.

With that said...Klingberg is an NHL player, but not a great, or even good one. He should be on your PP...but even strength he is getting almost 17 minutes per game. I'd be happier if that was 1-2 minutes less even strength.

Reaves is not a player anymore than should be on the ice unless you wat him just to start a fight. I'd be happier if he didn't play anymore.

Domi and Bertuzzi were over-rated signings when they were made by most fans. They have name recognition, but the Leafs didn't get a couple of players everyone else wanted but they just wanted to be here. They got paid probably what they are worth, they are middling forwards.

Knies has potential and he isn't playing awful, but moving him up to a higher line or giving him a ton more ice time isn't going to fix this team. He is a young guy who is playing decent for a young guy, but thats about it.

Marner, Matthews, Tavares, and Nylander are all fine. By the end of the year they will put up the numbers everyone expects, and likely be the sole reason this team does make the playoffs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
While the Atlantic Division has been (surprisingly?) competitive early on, stating that it's "time to panic" seems to be a bit of a stretch right now.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Last year this forum was in full panic mode at this time too. Good times.

I mean, the team has been crap, but you’d think people would learn not to jump straight to hysteria.
Bingo. Seems like they’re on the same path as last year.

The writer is a Dubas sycophant.

His articles always praised any move Dubas made, and argued that the Leafs were the best team in the NHL for years under him.

The minute Dubas was relieved, suddenly the organization could do nothing right.

Nothing he writes should be taken seriously.
Cronies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yes and if this lackluster play continues, Treliving having a poor first offseason is definitely not promising but at least we didn't make some huge win now move, trade Nylander or lock into some boat anchor contract that would tie our hands.

Bertuzzi for me has been the most underwhelming and our lack of a offensively stable 3rd line center is limiting our ability to have good balance.

We also don't really know how great of a coach Keefe is. I don't hate him as much as some others but he needs to get this thing rolling better because this certainly isn't a overall talent issue.

We need to wait at least like 20 games. Heck if we win tonight on the road against a good BOS team we'll be 6-4 while not playing our best hockey and our #1 tender being bad.

Ya, that is essentially all I am saying, wait and see how things go.

And it is very disappointing that Kampf with Gregor/Reaves was so bad because Holmberg would be a decent 3C for the time being. He has offensive upside and is responsible defensively.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Little early yet lol!!
Problem is media !!
2 games in and this team world class and players are best ever !!!
Media is nuts
Happens every year lol

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This. I’ve reserved criticism for Marner, as an example, because every year I eat my words by the end of the calendar year. Same thing with this team in the reg season.

In saying that there is no way this dcore will amount to much in the playoffs. Too soft and no clear shutdown guy. And no, Brodie won’t be doing any of that come playoffs (see last year).

I’m hoping they jetttison Klingberg and bring in Andersson and/or Zadorov somehow. That whole backend is a mess.

The D will need to be worked on over the course of the year to contend, no argument there, but there is nothing to support the bolded statement right now.

Brodie is still an excellent defender and him getting injured last season and not getting back to his typical form doesn’t change anything.

Holl as a “shutdown” D was our biggest issue on the backend by a country mile in the playoffs

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The D will need to be worked on over the course of the year to contend, no argument there, but there is nothing to support the bolded statement right now.

Brodie is still an excellent defender and him getting injured last season and not getting back to his typical form doesn’t change anything.

Holl as a “shutdown” D was our biggest issue on the backend by a country mile in the playoffs
Our biggest issue on D is that we still have not replaced Muzzin. He was good enough to carry Holl and that enabled us to run two solid pairings for 22 minutes a night and let Rielly have easier matchups.

Aside from that, our D were completely unable to move the puck out of the zone and Florida just forechecked us to death and we couldn't hold the puck. Klingberg was brought in to help the puck movement part, but won't help with much else, and certainly isn't worthy of carrying Muzzin's jockstrap.

Having the Muzzin type #2 pushes everyone down and stabilizes the entire core, as opposed to now when everyone is playing a little over their heads. No go-to shutdown guy, no dominating physical presence, no clear leader among the defenders. Rielly is a leader on the team and I love him to death, but he's not the defensive conscience of the team the way that Muzzin could be.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The OP was enough to make me not want to read his blog! Who is it anyway - I think I've seen the name once or twice here, but he's not a regular.

Bad vague statements with no support about a few new players who have played at most nine games here.

Does anyone really pay attention to this kind on nonsense (asking for a fiend).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The OP was enough to make me not want to read his blog! Who is it anyway - I think I've seen the name once or twice here, but he's not a regular.

Bad vague statements with no support about a few new players who have played at most nine games here.

Does anyone really pay attention to this kind on nonsense (asking for a fiend).
I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad