News Article: Time to Panic [editor in leaf]

jazzeyman

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2013
For sure right? I mean, the only real regular season change is we don't have Holl.... Clearly, not having Holl has dropped us from a playoff team, to completely out of the picture.
Tanner is an idiot. 3 weeks ago he loved the Leafs and said they were strong Cup contenders.

Reactions: Sypher04

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The over reactions like this got old a while ago. Who is honestly panicing not even 10 games into the season?

Like, we had worse starts the past 2 seasons than this. How many times do folks need to watch this happen and then the Leafs turn it on before they just wait 20 games?

And then of course the "playoffs" people who think every mistake in October matters in the playoffs. Like last year when people said after every loss we were losing in round 1 yet again, and then they won.

We have an elite team once again, Marner hasn't showed up yet and we have several new players struggling to find their games. This team is under performing it's potential massively and STILL a playoff team.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
meh, enjoy the ride until playoffs

Only player that concerns me is AM34 and his non-existent wrist shot

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
How many years in a row now is it where leaf fans were panicking at the start of the season? It's incredible how so many people never learn not to overreact to small sample sizes.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
meh, enjoy the ride until playoffs

Only player that concerns me is AM34 and his non-existent wrist shot
I mean it looked fantastic after the first two games... and then... poof. Did he injure his wrist again signing the Prime deal?

1698935399457.png

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yeah that was a pretty empty article. Just a lot of noise about how the new signings are simply awful but then no mention of who else should have been signed. What’s the point?
The writer is a Dubas sycophant.

His articles always praised any move Dubas made, and argued that the Leafs were the best team in the NHL for years under him.

The minute Dubas was relieved, suddenly the organization could do nothing right.

Nothing he writes should be taken seriously.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The writer is a Dubas sycophant.

His articles always praised any move Dubas made, and argued that the Leafs were the best team in the NHL for years under him.

The minute Dubas was relieved, suddenly the organization could do nothing right.

Nothing he writes should be taken seriously.
That sounds vaguely familiar :laugh:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
We’ve played like absolute garbage and are still playing at 100 point pace.

We’ll be fine. I’m worrying about the playoffs, not the regular season. We still need to make some moves to this roster, no doubt about it.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Certainly not time to panic, we'll be a good regular season team and we'll see if the big boys decide to show up in the playoffs this year.

The one thing the start does show me is how little fans actually know about players around the league. Lots of fans were amped up at the signings of Domi and Bertuzzi, in large part because of their "toughness"

In reality neither is tough, Bert is a big body who will hang out around the net but isn't tough/physical. More like a worse JVR than uncle Todd. And not only is Domi not tough, he's not good. He's a depth scorer who runs his mouth. He's basically a worse Bunting.

They're decent enough signings considering needs and what they got, although im concerned about how much we downgraded defensively but that's another discussion. They just aren't at all what a lot of people thought they were.

Also, Klingberg was a terrible signing, but a lot of fans immediately knew that.

Reactions: horner

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
"Anything and everything the Leafs do is bad. Also, Tre shouldn't be allowed to do anything to change that, because everything he does is bad. In conclusion, the Leafs need to do something!"

Sorry I wasn't fast enough to be the second post in this thread. Could've saved you all a click and some brain cells.

Attachments

• 3n2710yyzxfa1.png
    3n2710yyzxfa1.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 2

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
Way too early to panic, adding a number of new faces will take it's time to integrate. The regular season is just one big practice for a playoff bound team. There is lots of time for this team to hit its stride.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
We’ve played like absolute garbage and are still playing at 100 point pace.

We’ll be fine. I’m worrying about the playoffs, not the regular season. We still need to make some moves to this roster, no doubt about it.

This. I’ve reserved criticism for Marner, as an example, because every year I eat my words by the end of the calendar year. Same thing with this team in the reg season.

In saying that there is no way this dcore will amount to much in the playoffs. Too soft and no clear shutdown guy. And no, Brodie won’t be doing any of that come playoffs (see last year).

I’m hoping they jetttison Klingberg and bring in Andersson and/or Zadorov somehow. That whole backend is a mess.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is not a time to panic as the results are as expected, and we're trending towards a coach firing before mid season which many expect is the next shoe to fall.

If you think this year will be bad just wait until next year when CAP HELL :madfire: will reach its peak, when Matthews and Nylander new contracts kick in and combine with the bloated contracts of Marner and Tavares to use over 55% of Leaf full cap on just 4 forwards and Leafs cut even further into Leafs supporting cast available cap space.

Only in Toronto could the failed plan of "We Can and We Will" think that paying your star players even more money then then make now on their current overpaid contracts on an unsuccessful team be the plan of their thought process for the road to success. :banghead:

Not until the Leafs can get out from under the boat anchor of the $11 mil Tavares contract, will we be able to see some daylight and start building a more balanced team. The objective must be to come away with only 2 double digit forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: All Mod Cons

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Their record is basically the same as it was to start last season. Will actually be stronger if they win their next game. The team always has a meh start, it's never been indicative of how the rest of the season will play out.

I'd agree a decent amount of the free agency adds this offseason have been inconsistent at best so far (and bad in other cases) but even then they likely deserve more than 9 games to find their groove

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
James Tanner, lolz.

What is his username here?
James Tanner is a tool. Last year, the team was amazing, every blog he wrote praised the Leafs. Ever since Dubas left, every blog has been negative. He never gave Treliving a chance. He pounced on Tre's moves right from the start without watching at least 10 games. Pay no attention to him. I read his articles for entertainment just to see what nonsensical hyperbolic musings he's going to spew.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This is not a time to panic as the results are as expected, and we're trending towards a coach firing before mid season which many expect is the next shoe to fall.

If you think this year will be bad just wait until next year when CAP HELL :madfire: will reach its peak, when Matthews and Nylander new contracts kick in and combine with the bloated contracts of Marner and Tavares to use over 55% of Leaf full cap on just 4 forwards and Leafs cut even further into Leafs supporting cast available cap space.

Only in Toronto could the failed plan of "We Can and We Will" think that paying your star players even more money then then make now on their current overpaid contracts on an unsuccessful team be the plan of their thought process for the road to success.

Not until the Leafs can get out from under the boat anchor of the $11 mil Tavares contract, will we be able to see some daylight and start building a more balanced team. The objective must be to come away with only 2 double digit forwards.

*repeats talking points*

We have no cap hell... we have 33 million in cap next year, a 800k starting goalie, and a bunch of ELCs... you might want to try to follow the team a little closer.

Thankfully our former GM gave us good prospects FINALLY to play on the roster.

It's too bad our 4th line is going to be 4.5 million thanks to our new GM, otherwise, we could have filled it with league minimum guys and had an extra 2.3 million to play with.

Also, 2 double-digit players only? Why? I hope Nylander signs for 9.999 just so you can't cry about this.

10 million today is not the same as 10 million in 2 years... I figured you'd understand this by now.

By the way, the runnerup last year had 2 double-digit players, a 9.5 million dollar player, and around 6 million in dead cap, want to explain how it is possible to go that far when you have 35 million tied up in 3 players and dead cap?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
James Tanner is a tool. Last year, the team was amazing, every blog he wrote praised the Leafs. Ever since Dubas left, every blog has been negative. He never gave Treliving a chance. He pounced on Tre's moves right from the start without watching at least 10 games. Pay no attention to him. I read his articles for entertainment just to see what nonsensical hyperbolic musings he's going to spew.

All you need to know is that if the Leaf's were crushing it right now, he would definitely be saying that it's still mostly Dubas's team and Dubas deserves all the credit.

Brilliant little scenario built. If the Leafs fail its because Treliving has been trash but if the same team does well, it's mostly because of the amazing work Dubas did.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I really don't see this "panic" that everyone else sees.

What I actually see is more apathy. Leafs fans (atleast on here) don't seem as invested in the regular season as much in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad