News Article: Time to Panic [editor in leaf]

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Toronto Maple Leafs: Time to Panic​

To a man, all of the signings that Brad Treliving made in the summer are working out poorly. The best one, Bertuzzi, has decent peripheral numbers, but basically zero production.

The rest are an unmitigated disaster.

Ryan Reaves is not an NHL player.

John Klingberg is not an NHL player.

David Kampf should not be playing on a contender.

Max Domi, if he is an NHL player, isn’t a very good one.

And the coach is terrible.

His best defenseman does not get the most minutes (that’d be Timothy Liljegren).

He keeps playing Calle Jarnkrok on the first line. Auston Matthews has been completely invisible since they were paired together.

The Knies-Kampf-Domi line is the worst combination of players in the history of the NHL. The Leafs are wasting Knies’ talents on a third line that has two completely opposite one dimensional players.

And the fourth line, last night, had a 0% Expected Goals Rating. Ryan Reaves is the worst player to ever get a regular shift on the Leafs since they’ve been competitive and signing him to a 3 Year Deal was one of the biggest bone-head moves in the history of a franchise that has bordered on being a complete joke for the better part of it’s 100 year existence.

More at …

Source:

I think the team will not do as well during the regular season. But maybe some moves made will make them harder to play against in the playoffs ?

Tre keeping Keefe is a very bad sign. He should be replaced when a top tier coach becomes available. Keefe didn’t play Knies, overplayed Samsonov and Holl last playoffs. He consistently doesn’t field the best team.

Reactions: BayStBullies

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I've got my finger placed firmly over the panic button.

Only five points separating 8th place Ottawa from 2nd place Detroit screams emergency to me. We should all be running around pulling out what little remains of our hair. There isn't enough deodorant in the world to mask the smell coming off this team right now.

Good Lord does this ever stink to high heaven.

I keep hearing how the new guys all came as advertised. Well if that's the case then why did Treliving even sign these losers to begin with? Praising this is like complimenting your buddy who spends too much money on a shitty car but is really proud of it.

Cool racing fin on that Fiero dude.

This doesn't pass the sniff test. Even if Shanahan influenced direction of signings the execution has been terrible. At this point I'm starting to think Treliving is about as smart as a rock.

Then again, a rock wouldn't blow millions of dollars signing shitty players, so I'm not even sure about that anymore either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

To a man, all of the signings that Brad Treliving made in the summer are working out poorly. The best one, Bertuzzi, has decent peripheral numbers, but basically zero production.

His best defenseman does not get the most minutes (that’d be Timothy Liljegren).

He keeps playing Calle Jarnkrok on the first line. Auston Matthews has been completely invisible since they were paired together.

The Knies-Kampf-Domi line is the worst combination of players in the history of the NHL. The Leafs are wasting Knies’ talents on a third line that has two completely opposite one dimensional players.

And the fourth line, last night, had a 0% Expected Goals Rating. Ryan Reaves is the worst player to ever get a regular shift on the Leafs since they’ve been competitive and signing him to a 3 Year Deal was one of the biggest bone-head moves in the history of a franchise that has bordered on being a complete joke for the better part of it’s 100 year existence.

More at …

Source:

I think the team will not do as well during the regular season. But maybe some moves made will make them harder to play against in the playoffs ?

Tre keeping Keefe is a very bad sign. He should be replaced when a top tier coach becomes available. Keefe didn’t play Knies, overplayed Samsonov and Holl last playoffs. He consistently doesn’t field the best team.

If they don't fire Keefe soon they are dumb. Who keeps two best friends around even after firing one. Oh thats right the stupid MLSE. Burke Nonis and now Dubad Keefe. Players must love Keefe to have the power to keep him even this long.

Anyways I am not in panic over roster. Keefe is a disaster. Players seem to run the team so we wont have success.

I am with the posters that arent attached emotionally to the team so no panic here. Its more of a Yoda thing, do or do not.

Last edited:

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I have great concern, but promised myself 10 games before interest is directed elsewhere. Just so Leafs understand, that means fewer tickets purchased, no jersey for my grandson, no TV watched. All this is the economic way to show disgust.
At this point, Keefe must go. If you can't bench Domi and Reaves at least once during this stretch it shows you are afraid of the GM. Just like before. Keefe thinks he is a players coach as he shoulders the blame, and shields the boys from critical talk. Nonsense. Real players take open responsibility, NONE of these guys are looking as real players. I see losing as ok in their effort. They say losing in the short term is ok to support the long term goals....that is a joke.
Real teams, Real players focus on playing the game to win every game, every period, every shift. The system installed creates the focus. THERE IS NO SYSTEM, except the basketball based PP.
My remote is about to begin flipping channels. Bring on The Masked Singer. 😁

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
After seven years, the writing is on the wall and the players can see it. This core can’t win, we finally made it through the first round and then got utterly trounced. Any dreams of it being a curse or bad luck disappeared when Sam Bennett hopped the boards and rinsed our guys. Any dreams that this team had heart slipped away when Tavares got hurt against Montreal and they couldn’t win for him. They didn’t even really try.

There’s still talent on this roster, but our best lineups are in the past. Still no replacement for Muzzin, relying on rookies to provide depth scoring, and the cupboards are almost entirely bare. What was once an asset rich team is now Edmonton with five good players instead of two. The core4 are amazing, but they can’t do it alone and are paid like they can. Nothing significant changes year after year. They can fire Keefe, but he’s about as relevant as the difference between Bertuzzi and Bunting.

The core 4 experiment has run its course, the players know it, and this is the year where it shakes out. Panicking is pointless and just means the summer kool-aid was tasty this year.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
He has two teams in a 32 team league with his fingerprints on them and they both look awful.
still think it's early to call Bertuzzi a failure but Calgary being one of the worst messes in the league is a pretty bad indicator. at least Pittsburgh look shit too I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: horner

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
They got their ass handed to them last game and the new guys plus coach looked bad (maybe not much worse than the core though tbh). They are still at .611 winning percentage though, this market really is quick to amplify the negativity. I’m gonna read the article though because I’m interested to see if there are some points I haven’t considered. I really hope it gives decent consideration to who Tre should have signed instead for his forward positional needs.

horner

May 22, 2007

More at …

Source:

Msrner and mathews are playing well below what they can do.
Our d needs to be fixed.
Dubas didn't due ud any favors treliving didn't have alot of time to put this roster together.
I always thought this eould be a step back yr.

Bertuzzi band Domi are better than this

Klingberg ?

We know have very good young players coming into our lineup on ELC contracts
Knies Woll Cowan Minten Grebyonkin Robertson .
We have 9 draft pick for the 2024 NHL draft

Trades pick up draft picks
Sammy
Jarnkrok
Kampf

7.9 mil in cap space

Trade for a top 4 dman and a 3rd line center better than Kampf

Next year will be the time to concentrate on D during free agency

Last edited by a moderator:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Our GM change and some of his offseason decisions are certainly looking very questionable at the moment, and Calgary's state isn't a great sign for our future, but you should never really enter the "panic" phase 9 games into the season.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
The bulk of the hf membership reflect the same attitude as the Toronto sports media that they claim to hate. If TML got out of the gate and started the season 8-1, all the talk here would be "yeah regular season blah blah blah, bring on the PO then we'll see how they simply can't win when it counts." And with a so-so start (same as last year btw, just slightly better) it's "Everyone sucks and fire Keefe" what a pointless exercise this all is. Christ

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah that was a pretty empty article. Just a lot of noise about how the new signings are simply awful but then no mention of who else should have been signed. What’s the point?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Anytime you enter a season with as many unknowns and unanswered question as the Leafs do it’s expected they won’t all turn out positive.

Yeah that was a pretty empty article. Just a lot of noise about how the new signings are simply awful but then no mention of who else should have been signed. What’s the point?
They’re evaluating not consulting.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Leafs fans are a bunch of drama queens.

Hit the panic button at game 20.

We look bad but systems and players have changed a lot this offseason.

I hate a lot of the moves so far, but it is early, let's wait it out a little longer.

Also, most people complaining seem like they just like to complain, the regular season didn't matter and now all of a sudden it does.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Knies is definitely being wasted playing with Kampf and Domi.

I don’t get it, Keefe playing him in the top six during the PLAYOFFS… Yet slots him next to two plugs now.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner

Or since Matthews and Marner want to ride each other constantly

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander

Reactions: TMLife17

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Knies is definitely being wasted playing with Kampf and Domi.

I don’t get it, Keefe playing him in the top six during the PLAYOFFS… Yet slots him next to two plugs now.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner

Or since Matthews and Marner want to ride each other constantly

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander

I figure it's some combination of sheltering him (easier minutes)/making him "earn" it/trying not to have his stats inflated on his ELC.

But yeah...put him up with some players who think the game like him FFS it's stupid playing him with pedestrian offensive players.

Reactions: TMLAM34

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
After seven years, the writing is on the wall and the players can see it. This core can’t win, we finally made it through the first round and then got utterly trounced. Any dreams of it being a curse or bad luck disappeared when Sam Bennett hopped the boards and rinsed our guys. Any dreams that this team had heart slipped away when Tavares got hurt against Montreal and they couldn’t win for him. They didn’t even really try.

There’s still talent on this roster, but our best lineups are in the past. Still no replacement for Muzzin, relying on rookies to provide depth scoring, and the cupboards are almost entirely bare. What was once an asset rich team is now Edmonton with five good players instead of two. The core4 are amazing, but they can’t do it alone and are paid like they can. Nothing significant changes year after year. They can fire Keefe, but he’s about as relevant as the difference between Bertuzzi and Bunting.

The core 4 experiment has run its course, the players know it, and this is the year where it shakes out. Panicking is pointless and just means the summer kool-aid was tasty this year.
This year I'm hoping for a high draft pick and 2 of the 11 mil players to be shipped out. Although I've been hoping for that the second we got eliminated by Columbus.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Last year this forum was in full panic mode at this time too. Good times.

I mean, the team has been crap, but you’d think people would learn not to jump straight to hysteria.
Shitty October (panic), Great November (plan the parade), Good December, so-so January - March, Fold in April. Shuffle deck chairs in July. Rinse and repeat.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I have bad news. This defense isn't a playoff team. It will only get worse later.

For sure right? I mean, the only real regular season change is we don't have Holl.... Clearly, not having Holl has dropped us from a playoff team, to completely out of the picture.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad