Post-Game Talk: Time to panic? Blues coast over Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think the kids peaked early and are just in a skid. They'll probably ly pull out by TDL but PO will be in question and that's where I hope to heck we do not become buyers. Anything but trying to cheat the rebuild.

Allow me to add my hope to this may be 2 x the same hope will please hockey gods ;)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Freddie less than razor sharp back to back but that is bound to happen occasionally. Matthews has been cold for a while although not as badly as at the beginning of the year. I think he has already played 9 more games than his entire Swiss season so there could be some fatigue as he enters uncharted territory. Lots of other blame to share but if these two aren't firing they aren't going to win a lot. The club was due for this kind of a valley after peaking for a while. They weren't supposed to be a playoff club anyway so any "panic" requires a lot more losing than 2 games.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't care how many certifications you have, you don't know more than Babcock does about coaching. He never said anything was impossible, he prepared them for the challenge of a full season grind. The name calling part wasn't directed at you alone, but all of the people coming in here every time we lose and acting like the walls are caving in and thinking they could do a better job with this team.

So I never said I knew more than Babcock, you told me I knew nothing, simply discounting your untruthful assertion.

As far as the X's and O's of hockey my hockey knowledge can fit in a thimble compared to Babcock. As far as motivating people and knowing what buttons to push to get the best out of people, I'm no slouch. This is where you are conflating coaching and managing people. Putting a person in the proper mindset has nothing to do with the X's and O's of hockey, it has to do with understanding human behavior.

If you want people to succeed you don't tell them the ending to the story before the person actually makes the journey. In Babcock's case he already told his team that their journey is going to harder than it really is.

We see things differently and that is fine, but calling people idiots for not agreeing with your perspective, is simply inflammatory and lends nothing to mature conversation. Over the years I've learned a lot from people you'd call idiots, sometimes idiots are pretty smart people.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think the kids peaked early and are just in a skid. They'll probably ly pull out by TDL but PO will be in question and that's where I hope to heck we do not become buyers. Anything but trying to cheat the rebuild.

If we get a sweetheart deal they can do that. I mean obviously if you given that you take it.

even if we were in the playoffs position by deadline, Lou and Shanahan have both stated they aren't fast tracking anything so it wouldn't have mattered.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
even if we were in the playoffs position by deadline, Lou and Shanahan have both stated they aren't fast tracking anything so it wouldn't have mattered.

yep (great having competence in management now isn't it) but I personally hope they sell some pieces. Hunwick and Polak 100% should be gone and I am really high on bozak getting out of here and then JVR will never have as much value as he has now

weems

Jul 3, 2008
yep (great having competence in management now isn't it) but I personally hope they sell some pieces. Hunwick and Polak 100% should be gone and I am really high on bozak getting out of here and then JVR will never have as much value as he has now

JVR is a no brainer for me.
He doesnt even drive the play now, what's he gonna look like in 2-3 years where the league is infested with speed burners. This team is close to being a playoff team but its going to take time to be a consistent contender and JVR doesnt fit into that timeline. I wouldnt be one bit suprised in 2-3 years the speed of the NHL game might be too much for JVR.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
This should come as no surprise.

All seasons have ebbs and flows. Our team and our rookies have performed at a higher level than anyone had reason to expect.

It is thrilling to get a peak at our future, but we still have work to do on our roster before we can be legitimate contenders. Our defense simply is not good enough and we could use better skilled depth at forward, which we already may have developing with the Marlies.

As much as the thought of a playoff run is invigorating, another top 10 pick is better for this teams long term outlook.

We are very, very close and have made huge strides. Missing the playoffs this season should not be a disappointment to us fans. It's already been one hell of a good ride thus far.

More good stuff to come! The highlight of the remaining season for me would be to see Martin speed bag ****** bag Marchand on Saturday.

Cheers all.

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
The last 2 games rest solely on Babcock and his big mouth. What Coach comes out and says, yeah the games after the all star break are tougher, its harder to score , teams are going to take it to the next level blah blah blah.

I'm pretty sure that Babcock is not the only coach that has ever said this. The games after the all star break ARE tougher. It IS harder to score. Teams ARE going to take it to the next level due to fighting for playoff positions.

Instead of him telling them is Mission Impossible and getting them in a negative mindset, he could just continue to coach and mentor them as he's been doing all year.

What did he say that equates to things being Mission Impossible? To me it sounds like he's properly warning and preparing them for how tough it's going to be. That they can't rest on their laurels and that they'll have to dig deeper and work harder if they want to continue to succeed.

In Babcock's case he already told his team that their journey is going to harder than it really is

How did he do this? What Babcock stated is absolutely correct. The games WILL be tougher, more closely fought, tighter checking and harder to score in. Are you saying that they're not and things will be the same or easier than they were at the start of the season?

Regardless, this was a frustrating game to watch. Frankly nobody looked good tonight. I don't mind so much that they lost but the effort level was just embarrassing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm pretty sure that Babcock is not the only coach that has ever said this. The games after the all star break ARE tougher. It IS harder to score. Teams ARE going to take it to the next level due to fighting for playoff positions.

What did he say that equates to things being Mission Impossible? To me it sounds like he's properly warning and preparing them for how tough it's going to be. That they can't rest on their laurels and that they'll have to dig deeper and work harder if they want to continue to succeed.

How did he do this? What Babcock stated is absolutely correct. The games WILL be tougher, more closely fought, tighter checking and harder to score in. Are you saying that they're not and things will be the same or easier than they were at the start of the season?

Regardless, this was a frustrating game to watch. Frankly nobody looked good tonight. I don't mind so much that they lost but the effort level was just embarrassing.

We really have no idea what Babcock has said to them, he doesn't speak to them through the media.

Players don't need to be told the games will be tougher, they already know that.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Why would any fan panic, the Leafs were supposed to miss the playoffs for at least 2 seasons, so this and next year would be bonuses if they made it. Probably for the better of the team's future it would be better to miss the playoffs and get a higher pick.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
So I never said I knew more than Babcock, you told me I knew nothing, simply discounting your untruthful assertion.

As far as the X's and O's of hockey my hockey knowledge can fit in a thimble compared to Babcock. As far as motivating people and knowing what buttons to push to get the best out of people, I'm no slouch. This is where you are conflating coaching and managing people. Putting a person in the proper mindset has nothing to do with the X's and O's of hockey, it has to do with understanding human behavior.

If you want people to succeed you don't tell them the ending to the story before the person actually makes the journey. In Babcock's case he already told his team that their journey is going to harder than it really is.

We see things differently and that is fine, but calling people idiots for not agreeing with your perspective, is simply inflammatory and lends nothing to mature conversation. Over the years I've learned a lot from people you'd call idiots, sometimes idiots are pretty smart people.

Ok Dr. Phil

Bingo

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ducks, 3 game losing streak this year.

Rangers, 4 game losing streak this year.

Penguins, 3 game losing streak this year.

Senators, 3 game losing streak this year.

Black Hawks, 3 game losing streak this year.

Predators, 6 game losing streak this year.

Kings, 6 game losing streak this year.

I got tired of checking more. Any of these teams have the number of rookies the Leafs do? Didn't think so. Carry on with the panic if you choose, let's talk in a couple of years. Until then, I'll enjoy the best looking chance of development the Leafs have displayed in the 50+ years I've been watching them.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
No worries here boys! This team is a new breed of Leaf, they'll pull out of this slump :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Watch out Boston, we're coming for you!!! :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
We just lost two games after getting blown out last game... You'd think a team in in the hunt for a playoff spot would be desperate too.

A playoff tested team playing at home who just had their head coach fired against a young team with 8 rookies in the line-up that finished 30th last year?!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
New Blues coach = increased motivation so the loss was anticipated to be the likely result.

People had to see this one coming.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
New Blues coach = increased motivation so the loss was anticipated to be the likely result.

My Pro Line ticket seen St. Louis coming a mile away at -1.5

Edmonton, though, didn't see them being shut out. :rant:

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Why would any fan panic, the Leafs were supposed to miss the playoffs for at least 2 seasons, so this and next year would be bonuses if they made it. Probably for the better of the team's future it would be better to miss the playoffs and get a higher pick.
Because they're a horrible team. Their D core is made of Marincin, Carrick and Polak... :laugh: :handclap: and fans think these are just 'ebbs and flows.' Makes Rogers happy, though.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Because they're a horrible team. Their D core is made of Marincin, Carrick and Polak... :laugh: :handclap: and fans think these are just 'ebbs and flows.' Makes Rogers happy, though.

Fairly sure you mean our D Core is Rielly, Gardiner and possibly Zaitsev... but sure the other 3 are definitely our core D-men.

:shakehead

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I've stopped betting against them causing them to not win and ruin my parlays.

My bad guys. Dont blame babcock this is on me.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

Ok those three guys are on the weaker side. Our forwards oozing with skill. I get upset not because they are terrible. I know they are way better than what they were doing last night. They need to get hungry again.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Knowing they would come out hard wasn't enough to get us to play harder? Was our coach not successful in prepping us? Or are teams just in high gear now trying for a PO spot and exposing our weakness? We are weak at D and experience. That's not good.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Didn't know where else to put this. But I think the leafs should claim Ribeiro off waivers. He would be a good veteran presence for the team and it is obvious he still has some gas left in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia