Time delay on NBC for the Olympics?

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
I guess you can turn that around and say how many viewers do you expect to watch an event they know the results of already?

A lot. Given the time difference that we're talking about here, I'm guessing you'd get a ton more viewers even if the showing is delayed and people can look up the results prior.

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
NBC's Olympic coverage caters to casual viewers who do not usually watch sports, as shown by their crappy primetime coverage that basically focuses on US athletes doing their runs then quickly moving to another sport.

Many other countries, such as Canada and the UK, have their national broadcasters doing coverage and catering to the sports fan rather than the mythical "casual viewer" and show full events, and show events live.

As an American it pisses me off we have by far the most jingoistic, least insightful, and least well-done Olympic coverage in the world.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Exactly. To be able to not get games spoiled, I'm effectively going to have to alter my normal internet habits just to avoid the live tweets and forum comments, which is hardly ideal or convenient.

So imagine my disdain, disgust, anger (2008 Vancouver Olympics) when NBC announced the final score during a live game I was watching, still waiting for the taped US-Canada game to start.

Speaking from experience, it's nigh impossible without 100% avoiding internet AND cell phone.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
It only makes sense to tape delay things. It is a 9 hour difference to the east coast and 12 to the west. So if a game was on at 7PM it would be 7AM west coast time. How many viewers to you expect to watch then on a weekday when people work?

What's the problem with tape-delay?

If you want to watch it live, don't they stream it online and on an app?

Okay, so why not show it twice? Once live and once as a replay.

They totally messed up the 100m final in London. I'll probably spend the Games working from Canada if I can swing it. The coverage in the U.S. stinks.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
So imagine my disdain, disgust, anger (2008 Vancouver Olympics) when NBC announced the final score during a live game I was watching, still waiting for the taped US-Canada game to start.

Speaking from experience, it's nigh impossible without 100% avoiding internet AND cell phone.

Vancouver was 2010.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Okay, so why not show it twice? Once live and once as a replay.

They totally messed up the 100m final in London. I'll probably spend the Games working from Canada if I can swing it. The coverage in the U.S. stinks.

Because more people want to watch the news in the morning than an Olympic event.

Captain Mittens*

Everyone is also forgetting Network rules. Local stations can only broadcast so many hours of network feeds. They have their own contracts with re-runs etc.

The networks also want to show the Olympics in Prime Time where the $$ is made

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York

Because we want to watch on HDTV, not have to stream from some **** site online with poor quality and hook up a computer to the TV

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Because more people want to watch the news in the morning than an Olympic event.

They have several cable channels to avoid screwing up the Today show. The streams are garbage.

There was no evening news at 5:00 PM on Sunday when they ran the 100m in London.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Everyone is also forgetting Network rules. Local stations can only broadcast so many hours of network feeds. They have their own contracts with re-runs etc.

They do have a ton of cable channels showing tape-delayed coverage.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Because we want to watch on HDTV, not have to stream from some **** site online with poor quality and hook up a computer to the TV

Did you watch the 2012 Olympics online? Because I did, and the quality isn't poor at all. If you watched and it was poor quality on a **** site (even though it was from www.nbc.com), then you either have a ****** computer or a ****** connection.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

From what I recall of 2012 and 2010, yes.

NBC's Olympic coverage caters to casual viewers who do not usually watch sports, as shown by their crappy primetime coverage that basically focuses on US athletes doing their runs then quickly moving to another sport.

Many other countries, such as Canada and the UK, have their national broadcasters doing coverage and catering to the sports fan rather than the mythical "casual viewer" and show full events, and show events live.

As an American it pisses me off we have by far the most jingoistic, least insightful, and least well-done Olympic coverage in the world.

I agree fully with your criticisms, but the last comment probably isn't true. I'd like to see Russia or China's Olympic coverage before arriving at that conclusion, because those nations are easily as jingoistic in general as the US.

Sure? Maybe it was tape delayed. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

Let's not forget that NBC also has NBC Sports, CNBC, and MSNBC to air Olympic coverage on, which they did the last two Olympics. It sucks that hockey was buried on those channels as the 2010 tournament was awesome, but that's how it goes. Casual viewers would rather see figure skating.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Did you watch the 2012 Olympics online? Because I did, and the quality isn't poor at all. If you watched and it was poor quality on a **** site (even though it was from www.nbc.com), then you either have a ****** computer or a ****** connection.

There are also options from outside the US, either via illegal steams or via legitimate sources using a proxy. I watched a much of the 2012 Olympics through online BBC streams using a UK proxy rather than resorting to illegal streams. I preferred their coverage to NBC's for many events, especially the boxing.

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa

Still not an issue. There are 3 other NBC cable channels that revert to Olympic coverage during that period. NBCSN, CNBC, and MSNBC. No excuse that a US or any other critical game cannot be shown live and then repeated in primetime. I don't care which of the 4 channels it airs on... just gimme the game.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
There are also options from outside the US, either via illegal steams or via legitimate sources using a proxy. I watched a much of the 2012 Olympics through online BBC streams using a UK proxy rather than resorting to illegal streams. I preferred their coverage to NBC's for many events, especially the boxing.

Why would anyone watch it on an illegal stream if they can just watch it from a legal one for free?

Did you watch it on a proxy just so you can get BBC announcers? Because I'm pretty sure the TV feed is exactly the same.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Granted, if you're trying to avoid the result of some game because you've taped it, even if you stay away from internet or don't check your phone, there's usually always someone who will blurt it out or you'll hear it from radio. During the Vancouver games I was lucky to have unused days off, which I used during key game days so I could watch the games live.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Why would anyone watch it on an illegal stream if they can just watch it from a legal one for free?

Did you watch it on a proxy just so you can get BBC announcers? Because I'm pretty sure the TV feed is exactly the same.

Because not every event was offered live via the domestic broadcasters. EBU's site offered streams from all membership countries networks but there were some events which they didn't offer a stream so I had to watch via HDPlayer (which is now defunct) and the BBC channels that were there(not all BBC channels were available on EBU's site).

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York

Is there going to be streaming available from the NBC website? If there is, then that's not that bad...but if it has to be illegally streamed it will be poor quality.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Is there going to be streaming available from the NBC website? If there is, then that's not that bad...but if it has to be illegally streamed it will be poor quality.

According to the Bloomberg article posted in Post #2, they will be streaming it.

In the 2012 Olympics, it was streamed on NBC.com or one of their other websites and also on their London Olympics app.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad