Time delay on NBC for the Olympics?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm sure hockey will be air live on various cable networks. It's stuff like the main figure skating events, medal round races, etc etc that they tape delay to air in primetime on actual NBC. They'll probably re-air US games in prime time, but I'm sure they'll air live as well.

Betamax*

Not sure if this should go in this forum. Does anyone know if NBC plans to time-delay coverage of the Olympics in the US?

Do you get Canadian CBC as part of your TV package? If so, just tune into the CBC. They put broadcasting Hockey Live as a priority (for obvious reason).

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
It only makes sense to tape delay things. It is a 9 hour difference to the east coast and 12 to the west. So if a game was on at 7PM it would be 7AM west coast time. How many viewers to you expect to watch then on a weekday when people work?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
It only makes sense to tape delay things. It is a 9 hour difference to the east coast and 12 to the west. So if a game was on at 7PM it would be 7AM west coast time. How many viewers to you expect to watch then on a weekday when people work?

I guess you can turn that around and say how many viewers do you expect to watch an event they know the results of already?

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
What's the problem with tape-delay?

If you want to watch it live, don't they stream it online and on an app?

that would sure seem to be the most efficient way to please everybody. i would pretty much expect it in this day and age. go hdmi from the iphone into the 60" and bob's yer uncle at 3:00am. :)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Considering the horrendous issue NBC had tape delaying the first US-Canada hockey game from Vancouver, especially in California, they ended up showing the remaining hockey games live in 2008.

AIUI, all hockey games (they choose to 'cast) will be broadcast live on NBCSN (primary mens hockey channel).

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Social Media is going to be a ***** for those earlier games though

Yeah, that's the biggest concern. As for streaming live online, I hope that's what NBC will do for the United States. I know that live events streamed on the iPad, for example, over the Summer Olympics, were rarely smooth and had no commentary.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I don't understand why NBC puts hockey games in less of a priority than the other sports. Alot of Americans feel hockey is the best winter Olympic sport.

The gold medal game had 30 million viewers in the US in 2010.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't understand why NBC puts hockey games in less of a priority than the other sports. Alot of Americans feel hockey is the best winter Olympic sport.

A lot of Americans also feel that Skiing and especially Figure Skating (For the women in the audience) are more important.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Because it doesn't translate to viewership among key feminine demos.

And why would you show 1 hockey game on tape delay in prime time when you can show whip around coverage of multiple things and have a full overview of the day?

Hockey will have a cable network basically all to itself, maybe with some curling sprinkled in on it. I think that's pretty good priority.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Because it doesn't translate to viewership among key feminine demos.

And why would you show 1 hockey game on tape delay in prime time when you can show whip around coverage of multiple things and have a full overview of the day?

I don't know I just feel a USA-Canada, USA-Russia, or medal round game would draw amazing numbers in prime time.

The USA-Canada gold medal game drew 30M viewers at 3 PM (it may have been a weekend but still impressive)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
A US medal round game is 1 thing, but Russia vs Slovakia in group play isn't going to pull what figure skating or bobsledding will.

FWIW, the Gold Medal Game is always the very last event of the Olympics at 7am that Sunday, so I'm sure NBC will carry it on the main channel with nothing else going on.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
A US medal round game is 1 thing, but Russia vs Slovakia in group play isn't going to pull what figure skating or bobsledding will.

FWIW, the Gold Medal Game is always the very last event of the Olympics at 7am that Sunday, so I'm sure NBC will carry it on the main channel with nothing else going on.

I get what you are saying, but you don't think a medal round game involving Russia, Canada or the US would draw well? I remember in 2010 there was controversy because NBC put US-Canada on MSNBC instead of the main network.

I'm pretty sure the figure skating still destroyed the hockey game in ratings though.

I also think a group play game involving a marquee matchup involving the US (would have to be against Canada or Russia) would outdraw bobsledding or skiing. May not outdraw figure skating though.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I get what you are saying, but you don't think a medal round game involving Russia, Canada or the US wouldn't draw well? I remember in 2010 there was controversy because NBC put US-Canada on MSNBC instead of the main network.

I'm pretty sure the figure skating still destroyed the hockey game in ratings though.

And that's really all that matters. The Olympics attract tons of non-regular sports fans. But it's not to team sports, its to the events unique to the Olympics (a heck of a lot them being women).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Considering the horrendous issue NBC had tape delaying the first US-Canada hockey game from Vancouver, especially in California, they ended up showing the remaining hockey games live in 2008.

AIUI, all hockey games (they choose to 'cast) will be broadcast live on NBCSN (primary mens hockey channel).

I didn't know there was hockey in Beijing. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad