Time delay on NBC for the Olympics?

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Did you watch the 2012 Olympics online? Because I did, and the quality isn't poor at all. If you watched and it was poor quality on a **** site (even though it was from www.nbc.com), then you either have a ****** computer or a ****** connection.

Sometimes that what you have. I could only get Time Warner Cable in my last place an it was terrible.

Brodie

the dream of the 90s is alive in Detroit
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I hope NBC creates dedicated live feed channels for hockey like they did for basketball and soccer in London. It's really the only team sport Americans give a **** about seeing live. They've already proven people will tune in even if they know the results for major events.

I don't understand why NBC puts hockey games in less of a priority than the other sports. Alot of Americans feel hockey is the best winter Olympic sport.

The gold medal game had 30 million viewers in the US in 2010.

how many people do you expect would watch Germany vs Canada for 3 hours? Because figure skating and snowboarding and the other winter events NBC airs in primetime get 10-20 million viewers nightly.

if there was more interest in hockey, you'd get hockey shoved down your throat for two weeks

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
NBC's Olympic coverage caters to casual viewers who do not usually watch sports, as shown by their crappy primetime coverage that basically focuses on US athletes doing their runs then quickly moving to another sport.

Many other countries, such as Canada and the UK, have their national broadcasters doing coverage and catering to the sports fan rather than the mythical "casual viewer" and show full events, and show events live.

As an American it pisses me off we have by far the most jingoistic, least insightful, and least well-done Olympic coverage in the world.

In most of the world, like Canada and the UK, the Olympics are broadcast as a public service on state run broadcasting companies. Ratings or viewer interest is irrelevant. There is no American analog to that kind of broadcast entity (or to the idea of broadcasting anything as a public service), so why should we follow the same system? And if we did, what incentive would there be for NBC to pay the IOC billions for TV rights, which basically subsidize the entire Olympic movement?

All of these countries also have tape delayed highlights shows when there is the interest to support it... if a South Korean wins a gold medal in London, they show that to South Koreans who missed the live show. And if you did watch the BBC feed in 2012, you'd have noticed they were openly cheering on British athletes, just our announcers do. NBC is bad (I plan to happily watch CBC as often as possible) but they're not so beyond the pale.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I hope NBC creates dedicated live feed channels for hockey like they did for basketball and soccer in London. It's really the only team sport Americans give a **** about seeing live. They've already proven people will tune in even if they know the results for major events.

AIUI, all men's ice hockey games are slated for NBCSN.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
NBC's Olympic coverage caters to casual viewers who do not usually watch sports, as shown by their crappy primetime coverage that basically focuses on US athletes doing their runs then quickly moving to another sport.

Many other countries, such as Canada and the UK, have their national broadcasters doing coverage and catering to the sports fan rather than the mythical "casual viewer" and show full events, and show events live.

As an American it pisses me off we have by far the most jingoistic, least insightful, and least well-done Olympic coverage in the world.

This 200%. For the lead up (and the first couple days of) the London Olympics I was abroad in Guatemala while having access to an NBC station via satellite. Curiously, you didn't see much on a Guatemalan level pre-Olympics, save a couple of PSAs trying to get people to support the Guatemalan Olympic Team, who before London had never won an Olympic medal. Once the Games did start however, I was pleasantly surprised: live opening ceremonies, live coverage of full events (I watched a complete badminton match, something I don't think NBC covers). It was less "Soap Opera" and more actual events which was a very welcome change.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I'm curious to know what the televisation of games for Countries other than Canada/US are.

I'd love to watch Russia/Germany or Sweden/Latvia etc.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This 200%. For the lead up (and the first couple days of) the London Olympics I was abroad in Guatemala while having access to an NBC station via satellite. Curiously, you didn't see much on a Guatemalan level pre-Olympics, save a couple of PSAs trying to get people to support the Guatemalan Olympic Team, who before London had never won an Olympic medal. Once the Games did start however, I was pleasantly surprised: live opening ceremonies, live coverage of full events (I watched a complete badminton match, something I don't think NBC covers). It was less "Soap Opera" and more actual events which was a very welcome change.

I watched a ton of badminton on either CNBC or MSNBC last year.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
the Winter Olympics gets like a one hour edited nightly highlight package in much of the world, btw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->