Tim Thomas to play next year

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This quote is in today's Herald:

“Tim has been consistent to me directly and through Bill (Zito) that he wants to play next year,†Chiarelli said.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/2013/01/sprint_not_marathon

I'll stick to my guns on this: Thomas says he wants to play next season, Thomas says he only want's to play for the Bruins.

IMO, the only way the Bruins get anything of value is if Chiarelli allows another team to talk to Thomas before a trade transpires.

It is really to bad Burke got canned in Toronto. At least as far as this situation is concerned.

MVP36

Dec 2, 2012
Massachusetts
At this point, Thomas won't yield any return in a deal.

The only trade possibility I see is to trade him to a team who desperately needs to reach the cap floor (maybe STL with $ 17 M in cap space?)

EDIT: All teams above cap floor, got it.

Last edited:

Kaoz*

So instead of tolling his contract, why not just suspend him, let it expire and offer him a mill or so next season to tandem with Rask? Tolling a 5mill cap hit to next year when the cap drops to 64mill doesn't sound like the best plan.

I assume he wants to play so that he has a shot at Sochi?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
So instead of tolling his contract, why not just suspend him, let it expire and offer him a mill or so next season to tandem with Rask? Tolling a 5mill cap hit to next year when the cap drops to 64mill doesn't sound like the best plan.

I assume he wants to play so that he has a shot at Sochi?

Is Thomas eligible for the compliance buyout next summer?

If he is, then Chiarelli could toll the contract and try to trade Thomas' rights with one full year left on his deal. There's no risk because if PC can't deal TT then he can just use the compliance buyout to be free and clear of it.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
Let Timmy come to camp next year and not make the team. That might be some poetic justice right there...

Kaoz*

If he is, then Chiarelli could toll the contract and try to trade Thomas' rights with one full year left on his deal. There's no risk because if PC can't deal TT then he can just use the compliance buyout to be free and clear of it.

Issue is then that Boston would actually have to pay Thomas 2 million real money next season were he not to play. It may not mean anything to us at all but 2 mill is a significant amount of cash if it's coming out of your pocket.

If Dom's right and he only wants to play for Boston, I can see why they wouldn't do that. They can't afford another 5mill cap hit next season so they do need to do something. My guess is they kill the contract and bring him back next year on the cheap.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Maybe tuukka didn't want to sign long term. what leverage does he have? he is coming off a so so season. Tuukka probably figures behind a very good team he will put up very good numbers this season. And his value will be more.

Wish I could find the story but I recall Rask saying a short-term contract was his choice. He's gambling on himself.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/...s-to-prove-hes-a-no-1-goalie-for-a-long-time/

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Depends on what the window of opportunity is for the buyouts Bill. I'm guessing that compliance buyouts would have to be completed by the time unrestricted free agency starts so that gives you a period between the Stanley Cup finals and then. The downfall of having all 7 rounds of the draft done in one day is that GM's won't get all that down time to work out deals like in previous years. But I guess a deal could be done at the draft

Issue is then that Boston would actually have to pay Thomas 2 million real money next season were he not to play. It may not mean anything to us at all but 2 mill is a significant amount of cash if it's coming out of your pocket.

If Dom's right and he only wants to play for Boston, I can see why they wouldn't do that. They can't afford another 5mill cap hit next season so they do need to do something. My guess is they kill the contract and bring him back next year on the cheap.

Actually it was Haggs who first reported it and I have absolutely no reason to doubt him.

Kaoz*

Actually it was Haggs who first reported it and I have absolutely no reason to doubt him.

Sorry Dom. If *Haggs* is correct, and with everyone already being above the cap floor this year and most likely close or above it next year as well you'd have to think tolling that contract in hopes of being able to deal it isn't all that likely.

Regardless, having a cheap option for a backup of Thomas' calibre next season isn't that bad an idea. Have to wonder how that will work with his family in Colorado though. Seems like a very confusing situation.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Sorry Dom. If *Haggs* is correct, and with everyone already being above the cap floor this year and most likely close or above it next year as well you'd have to think tolling that contract in hopes of being able to deal it isn't all that likely.

Regardless, having a cheap option for a backup of Thomas' calibre next season isn't that bad an idea. Have to wonder how that will work with his family in Colorado though. Seems like a very confusing situation.

The options are countless if you ask me Kaoz. I think first and foremost when it comes to the Bruins its getting Rask locked up. Once that's done, then they'll know what to pay a backup. I would hazard to guess TT would want in the neighborhood of something like the money he lost this season (prorated of course) at minimum.

But in terms of a trade. First think that the Luongo situation has to be dealt with. If he isn't traded this season and Canucks have to buy him out in the summer, then age dictates he will be the front runner to go somewhere before anyone else does. And why trade for TT when you can have Luongo for Longer for just $$ ?

There's just too many scenarios to play out before we can have a legit convo on what might happen IMO.

Kaoz*

The options are countless if you ask me Kaoz. I think first and foremost when it comes to the Bruins its getting Rask locked up. Once that's done, then they'll know what to pay a backup. I would hazard to guess TT would want in the neighborhood of something like the money he lost this season (prorated of course) at minimum.

But in terms of a trade. First think that the Luongo situation has to be dealt with. If he isn't traded this season and Canucks have to buy him out in the summer, then age dictates he will be the front runner to go somewhere before anyone else does. And why trade for TT when you can have Luongo for Longer for just $$ ?

There's just too many scenarios to play out before we can have a legit convo on what might happen IMO.

Quite true. I was just operating under the assumption Haggs was correct and there is no other option Thomas would take other then a year with Boston. Remove the possibility of trading the contract and the situation gets a bit easier to read.

You're right though, it's obviously premature to jump to that conclusion.

trudatman*

Luongo needs to find a place first?! I can't imagine that there are zero teams with a need for goaltending that would strongly prefer a proven clutch netminder to a Tony Romo type who looks decent on a strong team during the regular season but shows his overhyped truths come postseason time.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Quite true. I was just operating under the assumption Haggs was correct and there is no other option Thomas would take other then a year with Boston. Remove the possibility of trading the contract and the situation gets a bit easier to read.

You're right though, it's obviously premature to jump to that conclusion.

There's also this to consider:

For as long as I preached that the cap was coming down for this season (here's the shocker - get ready) I also see the possibility that the cap can go up next year. Of course, there would have to be a couple of things happen. First, judging by those tweeting from camps around the NHL, it does NOT look like there will be any significant damage done to attendance - but well see if that remains on track. If it does, and it parlays into the merchandise area, TV, concessions and there's no drop there we could be in for a surprise. I think most people including the NHL and NHLPA wasn't expecting the early results that I am at least hearing.

Add into that: If the NHLPA invokes the escalator at 5% which they can do in June and we have a cap increase. Too early to tell, but the signs are at least there early.

So now what do you do if your Chiarelli? Does TT look more appealing?

Among all that and what we talked about earlier, first and foremost it will all be based on how Rask performs. If he falters at all, the pressure is on. If he has a season that garners Vezina attention, then the priority is Rask.

As much as I want to be an NHL GM :laugh::laugh: I wouldn't want to be in Chiarelli's shoes come July 1

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Luongo needs to find a place first?! I can't imagine that there are zero teams with a need for goaltending that would strongly prefer a proven clutch netminder to a Tony Romo type who looks decent on a strong team during the regular season but shows his overhyped truths come postseason time.

I get your opinion and your entitled to it of course.

We cut Luongo up here for obvious reasons and I've done my share of that. But Luongo has won - not a Stanley Cup - he's an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Would Florida for instance be more interested in Thomas for one year or Luongo for 7 ? Let's take of the sunglasses for a moment and be serious about it.

trudatman*

I wouldn't give Luongo a seven-year contract with your money. rephrase it as Thomas for two or Luongo for three... and... Timmy. what is Roberto seeking for a contract? how much room is there for negotiating? a team that gets him is likely stuck with a big name, big paycheck, big baby, big liability, big risk. glasses off? clearer. I want Thomas back for next year's camp, but I think he's worth more to your Floridas and Colorados than he is to the Bruins. if they'd prefer Luongo for a longer contract and (likely) more money, I respectfully disagree.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
I get your opinion and your entitled to it of course.

We cut Luongo up here for obvious reasons and I've done my share of that. But Luongo has won - not a Stanley Cup - he's an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Would Florida for instance be more interested in Thomas for one year or Luongo for 7 ? Let's take of the sunglasses for a moment and be serious about it.

Well to look at that you'd have to look into Florida's system to see if they have someone ready to step in and play in a year or two.

If they had someone who could step in then you'd go with Thomas, if not then Luongo.

Kaoz*

Well to look at that you'd have to look into Florida's system to see if they have someone ready to step in and play in a year or two.

If they had someone who could step in then you'd go with Thomas, if not then Luongo.

Jacob Markstrom fits that bill perfectly, goalies are just so damn touchy though if you know you can get a proven one you do it. Luongo, for all the crap he gets even though he played very good in his cup run, is about as proven as you can get.

deliciouspie

the best post »»»»»
Oct 22, 2008
sf, austin, here
luongo also has the side benefit of continuing the long, grand tradition of goalies being erudite and, frankly, hilarious

compare this droll attitude to the dross one of thomas and i really don't understand why they'd even consider the latter

in all seriousness, dude's wife is from the area, he was there forever, that seems to make a lot of sense, except i'm not sure florida has the 2nd line centre to give that vancouver needs

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
At this point, Thomas won't yield any return in a deal.

The only trade possibility I see is to trade him to a team who desperately needs to reach the cap floor (maybe STL with $ 17 M in cap space?)

The floor was lowered. No team is below it.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Fair enough. I missed that quote yesterday. Thanks for the link.

That's the first time I saw anything about TT communicating directly with GM Chiarelli. I was pleased to hear it.

Like you, all I heard before this was communication through the agent.

Afam*

Tim was a great goalie for the Bruins, but his time is over.

The best thing that can happen now is to trade him for assets.

The second best thing is his cap hit will go away July 5.

The End.

I agree. Tim Thomas fans need to realize that. It is time to move on. Rask is the future and subban and Khdoubin are going to be his backups. If was the bruins front office, I will trade one of khdoubin with thomas and get some quality assets. I have a feeling subban is going to be a stud. Time to move on from Thomas. He betrayed us plus he is 39 years old. No thanks. As yall know I also love the Celtics and Red sox as well and if Paul Pierce or Pedey did what thomas did to the bruins, I wouldn't want them to be part of my team anymore.

Furthmore if a team comes knocking for pierce or pedey, they are fair game. I'm a team first, players second type of guy. Sports Atheltes get traded everytime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad