Tim Thomas to play next year

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Bruins presser this morning ...

NaokoFunayama
Peter Chiarelli confirms Tim Thomas will not be coming to camp or playing this year. But says Thomas wants to play next season

Not sure what to read in that...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

NaokoFunayama
Peter Chiarelli confirms Tim Thomas will not be coming to camp or playing this year. But says Thomas wants to play next season

Can you trade a suspended player?

Suspend TT to hold onto his rights for next year and trade him to a team that wants his services next year and can float the cap hit this year?

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Can you trade a suspended player?

Suspend TT to hold onto his rights for next year and trade him to a team that wants his services next year and can float the cap hit this year?

No clue... Will ask OOG on twitter.

Tim O'Reilly

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa, Ont.
Visit site
I wonder if it means 'I will play for you guys in 20 games should you have goaltending issues?' Also, if he doesnt play this year, at this age, how will he be next year? Let's hope Rask has a big year so we can really move on.

mashmont

May 27, 2011
Massachusetts
Not too concerned about getting anything of Value for TT. If were lucky i bet we might be able to get a 2nd if we hold onto his rights.

Even better,
Since the world Didnt end this year he came out of hiding. Now he is going to lie to the press, say he can play next year. Then we trade his rights at the draft. And he retires!:sarcasm:

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
Wonder if the contract tolls over to next season? Will the Bs have him on the books capwise for this season and next season if he owes them a year on the contract? How will this effect the Bruins going forward?

This certainly will hang over the team all year especially if Rask struggles and everyone keeps asking the FO about Thomas. Has potential to be another distraction all season.

Not sure what Tim Thomas is trying to accomplish here. He is stating he will play next year but is not willing to play this year when he owes the club a season. Very strange situation. The Bruins should deal with this somehow and not allow this to become another Tim Thomas distraction.

The Bruins have a 5 million caphit for this guy and he states he will play next year but not this year?? Enough is enough with this guy holding the Bruins organization hostage.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I don't get it. Just a guess, but maybe he really has no intention of playing for the Bruins ever again but wants teams to know he IS up for playing next year and would like another chance. A team that needs a goalie might be wise to grab him if they can, IMO.

Or maybe he needs more family time and knows next year will be a bit easier in that regard.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

NaokoFunayama

So Latrappe...Did you ever buy that Timmy Thomas jersey ? :sarcasm:

This thread should be interesting...

I still say " would it be such a bad thing if Timmy wanted to play for the B's "? It turned out OK before . I don't see it happening but who knows ???

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano
No. They would have to toll his contract and then would retain rights

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
So Latrappe...Did you ever buy that Timmy Thomas jersey ? :sarcasm:

This thread should be interesting...

I still say " would it be such a bad thing if Timmy wanted to play for the B's "? It turned out OK before . I don't see it happening but who knows ???

It wouldn't be a bad thing at all for us fans.

Maybe he just needed a mental break.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
Umm:

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano

No. RT @LucGranger Chiarelli: Thomas plan to play next year; will suspend him for the actual season. Do the Bruins retain his rights?

So do the Bruins retain his rights or not?

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Don't know how many teams will line up for an aging goaltender who will not have played at any level for 1+ year.

Even so, shouldn't be hard to move said 'aging goaltender' when he only has a year left on a contract.

If he still had 5+ years then yeah.. could be hard. A year though? Plus first shot at re-signing him if he's just as good as before (You can't count Timmy out.. Why start now?)

If Chia wants to move him, he'll be able to. I'd also like it if he stayed as a back up to Tuukka. Either works for me. But his days as a starter in Boston are all but over now so unless he's cool with a limited role, I don't see him in the Black and Gold next season.

EDIT - Oh right, Boston wouldn't retain his rights obviously. Nevermind.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
No, There is no indication they have tolled his contract - only way to retain his rights and if they do, he would be on the cap for next year whether he plays or not.

So he will be a UFA at the end of season? What a slap in the face to the Bs organization. Interesting that the year he "needs" to take off is the same year he has no control.

They really can't toll him because they could be on the hook again if he decides to take next year off too. Disgusting.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So he will be a UFA at the end of season? What a slap in the face to the Bs organization. Takes the year off that he has no control.

They really can't toll him because they could be on the hook again if he decides to take next year off too. Disgusting.

As Aly quoted Chiarelli says "Unless I trade him."

IMO that is still a possibility. Two things Chiarelli has to do

1) Give a team permission to talk to him in advance of a trade

2) That team has to virtually guarantee he'll get the starter's job and an extension.

Not out of the realm of possibilities if you ask me

And yes he will be UFA at end of the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad