Tim Thomas to play next year

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
He will no longer be a Bruin as of July 5 if he isn't traded before then. They aren't tolling his contract which is the only way he'd be on the cap next year.

Tim was a great goalie for the Bruins, but his time is over.

The best thing that can happen now is to trade him for assets.

The second best thing is his cap hit will go away July 5.

The End.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story...uins-shelve-tim-thomas-future-remains-unclear

"We've always had a succession plan for handing the reigns over to him when it's time, maybe a year early from my perspective, but it's close enough that we're happy where he is in his development," Chiarelli said.

So Chia did expect Timmy to be his starter. Can we stop with the "prearranged 4th year Timmy gets dealt nonsense"?

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-...as-in-non-adversar?blockID=822999&feedID=5364

A source indicated to CSNNE.com that Thomas doesn’t want to play for any team other than the Bruins if he does return to the NHL. But the two-time Vezina Trophy winning goalie no longer holds any no-trade provisions preventing him from being dealt elsewhere if Chiarelli does opt to “toll†his contract for next year.

Really seems to hate being a Bruin too,

Can we please now give him the benefit of the doubt?? .. Please?
Do you believe Chia's plan was for Rask to take over in 2013/2014, four years after going 45 games with a sub 2 GAA and a S% of .931. Doesn't smell right to me.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
I don't get how this makes anything better. He's putting the team in a more difficult position than needed so he can take a 'half year' off to do whatever he wants. Then he just wants to come back next season and play for the Bruins again? No. How does Tuukka feel about that? He's been waiting patiently for a LONG time and Thomas feels he can just play yo-yo with the starting job. Nope, hope it doesn't happen.

What says a lot to me is Chia stated in June and now Today that he was informed of these decisions by Thomas' agent. I would at least think a decision of this magnitude by a player would at least warrant a man to man phone call? Especially if their was a legit family reason which lead to such a decision.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He will no longer be a Bruin as of July 5 if he isn't traded before then. They aren't tolling his contract which is the only way he'd be on the cap next year.

So dumb question.

When does the decision on tolling his contract have to be made? Does it need to be made before the season or at some other point

For example could the Bruins trade him at the draft, and the new team decide to toll his contract, so he is under contract for cheap dollars next year?

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Are people surprised? He said he was going to take a season off. He never said he wasn't coming back.

People also seem to forget that he was even offered a contract extension by the Bruins when he first announced that he was going to take a year off and he declined.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Do you believe Chia's plan was for Rask to take over in 2013/2014, four years after going 45 games with a sub 2 GAA and a S% of .931. Doesn't smell right to me.

Well at first he wanted to deal Tim after that. Thankfully he didn't find any takers but Chia is smart. Few things here. He saw Rask never able to beat out a healthy Tim. Two- 2011 happened. Three- Rask had an off 2011 and followed it up with a big time injury last year. Chia didn't exactly jump in two feet this summer with a chance to lock Tuukka up even with TT sabatical did he? Chia is far from sold IMO.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Get suspended in a shortened season where you are going to make half the money as usual. Get your contract tolled and collect the entire $3M.

Guy's a genius.

:sarcasm:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I do not care if we get anything for Thomas,I want his cap hit gone and have accepted he will not be there this yr.I still say he in tentionally trying to put it to Bruins for some reason or another,I do not buy the family talk.Just my opinion no need to start flaming me.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Takes time off for Family Reasons
Says he wants to come back and only play for the Bruins
???????
Wants to stick it to Bruins

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Takes time off for Family Reasons
Says he wants to come back and only play for the Bruins
???????
Wants to stick it to Bruins

I do not think you will ever see him as Bruin again.Once again,just my opinion,I have a funny feeling about this whole situation.,

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
its playing out exactly as i said many times all along. suspended players dont get paid... if we need the cap space he can easily be dealt and whoever takes him will have an asset.

or... if we dont need the cap space we can sit on him until we do.

if thomas is taking time off for his family... then tip of the cap to him and hope it works. BUT if he is doing this because his nose is out of joint over all his political activity last year and the backlash it unleashed... then bruins are entirely in the right to play some hardball here.

bruins acted in nothing but good faith to give thomas a front loaded contract and no trade protection in those first few years... and then now we are getting shafted and that just dont sit well with me and never has. if thomas actually does intend to play next year then we deserve to be able to deal him for some value before he does cause thats how the contract was fairly bargained out.

so suspend him... we got plenty of cap room this year... and if he comes back before the deadline and does try to burn this year off... then whatever... id probably let him... after all he did win a cup for us... but if he takes this whole year off then tries to come back with someone else next year... make him do it under the terms of the contract he has with us now and give us our due compensation for it.

deliciouspie

the best post »»»»»
Oct 22, 2008
sf, austin, here
at what point does this thread become as much of a joke as carl soderberg's

is it because the dude was ridiculous a few years ago, which has about as much bearing now as carl soderberg does

deliciouspie

the best post »»»»»
Oct 22, 2008
sf, austin, here
Its already a joke. But it must remain.

CRAPPY THREADS FOR THE CRAPPY THREAD GOD

937068-khornewarrior.jpg

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Well at first he wanted to deal Tim after that. Thankfully he didn't find any takers but Chia is smart. Few things here. He saw Rask never able to beat out a healthy Tim. Two- 2011 happened. Three- Rask had an off 2011 and followed it up with a big time injury last year. Chia didn't exactly jump in two feet this summer with a chance to lock Tuukka up even with TT sabatical did he? Chia is far from sold IMO.
Maybe tuukka didn't want to sign long term. what leverage does he have? he is coming off a so so season. Tuukka probably figures behind a very good team he will put up very good numbers this season. And his value will be more.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Maybe tuukka didn't want to sign long term. what leverage does he have? he is coming off a so so season. Tuukka probably figures behind a very good team he will put up very good numbers this season. And his value will be more.

Wish I could find the story but I recall Rask saying a short-term contract was his choice. He's gambling on himself.

deliciouspie

the best post »»»»»
Oct 22, 2008
sf, austin, here
on the one hand, i'm inclined to agree: someone saying, i think i can maximise my dollars by playing out of my mind for the next couple years is A Good Thing (tm) but on the other hand, the whole injury thing that affects many butterfly goalies leads me to the conclusion that this may not have been the best decision on his part

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
What says a lot to me is Chia stated in June and now Today that he was informed of these decisions by Thomas' agent. I would at least think a decision of this magnitude by a player would at least warrant a man to man phone call? Especially if their was a legit family reason which lead to such a decision.

This quote is in today's Herald:

“Tim has been consistent to me directly and through Bill (Zito) that he wants to play next year,†Chiarelli said.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/2013/01/sprint_not_marathon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad