Tim Thomas or Roberto Luongo & all goalie trade discussion

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any chance Vancouver buys out Luongo?

What then? Leafs sign him to a manageable contract... And give up no one....

Can't see the Canucks buying him out.

If they did why would he sign with the Leafs with a "manageable contract"?

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
I think it would be smart to pick up Thomas. He would be much much cheaper than Luongo (say a 5th rounder at best) and his contract is up this year. If he does well up him for one more year.

What if Luongo comes in and pulls a Toskala?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think it would be smart to pick up Thomas. He would be much much cheaper than Luongo (say a 5th rounder at best) and his contract is up this year. If he does well up him for one more year.

Or more likely, what if he comes in and pulls a Luongo? The Leafs should stay as far away as possible from Luongo.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

He wouldn't.

Too totally different goaltenders with incomparable pasts.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
OT, but watching them talk about this on TSN and noticed that Ben Scrivens looks a lot like Rick Nash

nGTVL.jpg

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
I don't like the idea of Thomas. I don't agree towards his political views so I wouldn't want to see him on this team (yeah I'm biased, suck it).

He would also likely cost as much as Luigi as you would be attempting to pry him from a division rival vs. a distant conference team.

So please, no to Timmy T. I'm all for Luigi however.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Thomas wouldn't cost much, but my preference and probably the Bruins preference would be to try to deal him outside the division. I could see Thomas standing on his head everytime he plays the Bruins.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
The thing with Thomas is that he isn't playing for Boston (presumably) and he isn't costing them a dime. They let him sit, no problem, they move him to a divisional rival? You're damn right they're going to want something for making us better.

Luongo isn't as good as Thomas, and will likely be cheaper, but his contract situation is insane. I'd rather try and sign Thomas in the offseason, than acquire Lou in a panic and be regretting it later like we do with Phaneuf.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The thing with Thomas is that he isn't playing for Boston (presumably) and he isn't costing them a dime. They let him sit, no problem, they move him to a divisional rival? You're damn right they're going to want something for making us better.

Luongo isn't as good as Thomas, and will likely be cheaper, but his contract situation is insane. I'd rather try and sign Thomas in the offseason, than acquire Lou in a panic and be regretting it later like we do with Phaneuf.

he signed post 35 which means his number stays on the cap

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I can't see Chiarelli moving Thomas to a divisional rival. Even if he's on the decline, in a shortened season like this, Thomas could backstop the Leafs to a legitimate position in the playoffs, and once there, anything can happen. Too risky I'd say, if he's moved, it will be elsewhere.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Burkes son was gay and Thomas boycotted gay marriage with Chic-fil-a last year. Kind of the opposite of the "You Can Play" message.

Then again just because you disagree with SSM doesn't mean you don't support YCP. Patrick burke wrote an article a while back (couldn't find a link unfortunately) about the differences

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad