Tim Thomas or Roberto Luongo & all goalie trade discussion

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I don't think he's gonna trade for him and educate him haha that seems kinda weird.

Not trade for him to educate him but to trade for him as their starting goalie but educate him a bit if needed (ie. if Thomas spouts off again). I worded that post poorly but had been up until after 5am so I get a mulligan on lack of clarity.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
Not trade for him to educate him but to trade for him as their starting goalie but educate him a bit if needed (ie. if Thomas spouts off again). I worded that post poorly but had been up until after 5am so I get a mulligan on lack of clarity.

No problem. I guess the only way he would trade for Thomas is if he doesn't care about his players' stance on gay marriage. If he doesn't care, then he may instruct them to keep their mouth shut, because in Toronto you'll be disagreeing with the majority, and have a much shorter leash, which is a problem when you're a goalie.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It really depends on Luongo's asking price. If its as steep as Canuck fans are predicting then Thomas makes a lot more sense. Hopefully he could give the reigns to Reimer in a year or two at most.

If, however, Luongo's price is lower I'd prefer him. He would solidify our goaltending longer and I'm not confident Thomas can keep up his level of play. Luongo also either gives Reimer more time to come into his own similar the Schneider situation in Vancouver, or he forces us to move one of him or Reimer (again, similar to the Schneider situation in Vancouver.

Tough call.

RogerRoeper*

Luongo is not worth nearly what Canuck fans think. That contracts scares off almost everyone.

RogerRoeper*

Thomas is being quite an Ahole if he does just take the year off given he signed his deal at 35.

iArts

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 3, 2010
Toronto,ON,Canada
So, what about Luongo?

What do you guys think will happen with him? Will he be traded at all? Are we the ones pushing for him if he's traded?

There was so much talk about it last year, but with the lockout naturally everyone forgot about it.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I dont know analysts keep saying that Bozak a draft and a possible prospect is all but done deal. Who really knows??? I hope we dont let Colborne,Kadri,Ashton,Finn,Reilly or Ryan go.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Luongo because he isn't as crazy from what we have seen with Tim Thomas and the media. Plus Luongo is still younger and I can't see Thomas playing anymore, assuming he sits out this year and wants to comeback next year. After all he is 38 years old. Finally given Toronto's recent trades with Boston I think it's best to not deal with them for a while.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Burke won't trade for Thomas after comments he made against gay marriage. So really, why is Thomas even an option. At this point its Luongo or status quo unless someone becomes available out of the blue.

This +1. Not only gay marriage, but Thomas' Libertarian politics are summarily anti-Canadian. He would be such a massive distraction in a city that is already a huge enough distraction for its pro-athletes.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
from vancouver board:

Great breakdown of a potential Luongo deal by TSN.

- Duthie cites TOR's need is immediate.
- Johnson, and LeBrun earlier, says the Canucks can wait a bit.
- Mckenzie mentions Weiss is unlikely to re-sign?
- Bozak + Prospect (sticking point) + pick alluded to as framework.
- EDM showed definite interest prior to Lockout.
- Pang thinks FLA will likely increase offer, McKenzie adds that players Luongo is currently practicing with thinks he's all world.
- Mckenzie also thinks that shortened season might increase interest from FLA in effort to do some damage in playoffs.
- Also, NO official deal in place right now between VAN and TOR.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Until we really see how that deal would affect us under this CBA, I wouldn't touch Luongo.

Of course depends on what you'd give up, but in a short season I wouldn't make a gamble on anything that would have draft picks involved.

mehavecable

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Any chance Vancouver buys out Luongo?

What then? Leafs sign him to a manageable contract... And give up no one....

Censored23

May 20, 2011
Any chance Vancouver buys out Luongo?

What then? Leafs sign him to a manageable contract... And give up no one....

Not a chance. Vancouver knows they can get at least SOMETHING for Luongo if they trade him, and there appears to be a few teams interested in aquiring his services. If they dont trade him, then Vancouver has one of the best tandems in net in the NHL.

Either way, its a win-win for Van, and with a shortened season, dont expect Luongo to be going anywhere this year. As for next year, well, that might be a different story.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Neither...

Thomas - screwball
Luongo - bad contract and couldn't bring Vancouver a Stanley Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad