Tim Thomas or Roberto Luongo & all goalie trade discussion

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
If Tim decides to play, would you want him or Roberto Luongo for this season?
Thomas already gave the Bruins permission to seek a trade over the summer. I am also sure the cost in a trade would be much lower than Luongo and perhaps he could sign an extension..
So who would you want, Tim, Roberto or neither?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tim Thomas...easily for contractual reasons.

Honestly though...I've got a gut feeling that Reimer won't let a golden opportunity slip away. A 48 game season..we're either going to really terrible or decent enough to get in IMO.

We'll find out who's ready to go and who isn't.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Tim Thomas...easily for contractual reasons.

Honestly though...I've got a gut feeling that Reimer won't let a golden opportunity slip away. A 48 game season..we're either going to really terrible or decent enough to get in IMO.

We'll find out who's ready to go and who isn't.

You don't think it's other way around? in a 48 game season the leafs have a better chance of making the play offs. Sensing that I think Burke takes no chance and goes with a proven goalie.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Luongo because Thomas is not good for a dressing room. Having said that I think Reimer owns it this year and ultimately becomes number 1. Thats my bold prediction for the year

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
If Tim decides to play, would you want him or Roberto Luongo for this season?
Thomas already gave the Bruins permission to seek a trade over the summer. I am also sure the cost in a trade would be much lower than Luongo and perhaps he could sign an extension..
So who would you want, Tim, Roberto or neither?

I would prefer Thomas (providing, of course, that he decided to play and that he is ready to play) but I want Luongo solely to settle the arguments between the Vancouver and Toronto fans here. Regardless of what Luongo gets traded for to any other team Vancouver fans will claim he would have cost Toronto more and Toronto fans will claim he would have cost them less.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'll go with Luongo.

I would agree with those that say Thomas is a cheaper short-term option. Maybe he might be useful for a year.. maybe two. It would cost us less in assets, and a shorter term contract.

However, the 2013 off season should be a critical one for our Maple Leafs. If the Leafs hope to attract the big names, the Getzlaf types, we need to show that we are serious about winning, and Burke needs to make changes that show he is committed to the long term.

Would a Getzlaf see Thomas about to retire as a good goal tending solution?

I think it is time for Burke to really start to go hard.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Burke won't trade for Thomas after comments he made against gay marriage. So really, why is Thomas even an option. At this point its Luongo or status quo unless someone becomes available out of the blue.

hockeyfanz*

Choose your poison.

Ewww neither for their contracts and age.

+1.....Thomas is a freak show and probably will retire, IMO....I dislike greasy Luongo. Don't care for him...especially given his horrendous contract. Burke will however by all accounts trade for Luongo. Puke. I voted neither.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Burke won't trade for Thomas after comments he made against gay marriage.

I didn't realize Thomas had made any comments about gay marriage. That being the case Burke either ignores him or trades for him and educates him a bit.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
I didn't realize Thomas had made any comments about gay marriage. That being the case Burke either ignores him or trades for him and educates him a bit.

I don't think he's gonna trade for him and educate him haha that seems kinda weird.

grah7830

Nov 21, 2009

Thomas is anti-gay, a birther, and has a doomsday bunker in Colorado. He's too far gone to be educated.

hockeyfanz*

Thomas is anti-gay, a birther, and has a doomsday bunker in Colorado. He's too far gone to be educated.

Typical right-wing gun crazy Bush/Cheney loving Merican.....I don't think this is Burke's type of player at all...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad