Tim Thomas/Goaltending Discussion

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
He's on a 1-way contract next season and I'm pretty sure he'll also be waiver-eligible too. So if he's not playing for us in the NHL, then he's either going to be traded or claimed via the waiver-wire if we try to demote him to the minors.

Dont let the door hit ya and the good lord split ya. Trade his ass. No time for projects especially in net. Plenty of quality goaltenders on the market.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He's on a 1-way contract next season and I'm pretty sure he'll also be waiver-eligible too. So if he's not playing for us in the NHL, then he's either going to be traded or claimed via the waiver-wire if we try to demote him to the minors.

Or he could play the whole season in the A without a call up. It's not like his 1.4 million is a back breaker. Although I'd rather see him traded if that's the case.

CoolburnIsGone

Dont let the door hit ya and the good lord split ya. Trade his ass. No time for projects especially in net. Plenty of quality goaltenders on the market.
Plenty? Sounds like the wrong word if you ask me. There's maybe 5-6 guys who could be full-time starters and maybe half that who would be decenter starters with only 1 who's a top 10 guy, potentially. And several of the available guys are over 37 which means they dont have much time left in the tank. Unless you mean trading for someone who's a RFA and then you're losing assets in the deal and who knows how good that goalie truly is (for example, Reimer).

Why does Markstrom have to be traded for the team to still be competitive? There's no reason he shouldnt be the backup goaltender if a free agent is signed to handle the load while he's learning at the NHL level. It worked pretty well with Rask in Boston for a number of yrs, no reason that cant work with Markstrom.

CoolburnIsGone

Or he could play the whole season in the A without a call up. It's not like his 1.4 million is a back breaker. Although I'd rather see him traded if that's the case.
You missed my other point, he's waiver-eligible after this season...so wouldnt be surprised if someone claimed him if he was attempted to be sent to the minors.

CoolburnIsGone

If he already is in the minors how can he be sent back?
Once every season is completed, you still have to demote guys to the AHL during the offseason...its not like once they are there, they are never eligible for waivers again. Next September, Markstrom will have to clear waivers to be in the AHL, end of convo.

gravenger5

Jun 27, 2011
I'd be happy if I never saw Markstrom in a panthers jersey again! He has gotten worse as time has gone on. I think they put the "goalie of the future" tag on him way too much. I would love to resign Thomas for another year and pick up another goalie like Hiller, Miller, Reimer, etc....the goalie is the most important position and with Markstrom in net whether its for the Panthers or the Rampage he is just aweful!

homegrizown

Feb 4, 2008
pembroke pines fl
i would say ask thomas to sign a 2 year deal somewhere around 10 mil. if he refuses then you go gung ho for miller, then down the line hiller/halak elliot. someone will bite or pray someone wants to trade a goalie worth being a full time starter.

i don't mind markstrom being backup next year. but he can't be the starter we've given him chances. now it's backup get 20 games and if you show you can handle that role over a season or two we can trade you to a team for assets.

Erick*

The end result is interesting and different than what a lot of us expected.

I figured I'd bump this thread for perspective. Our goaltending future was looking like the rest of our team -- really crappy. Nice to see the organization make a statement and bring in a solution for at least the next handful of years. Roberto Luongo, it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad