Tim Thomas/Goaltending Discussion

Erick*

I know it might seem like it's not our biggest problem (to be fair, it's not) and some seem to think it doesn't even matter but...

What are we going to do about the goaltending moving forward?

For as long as Tim Thomas is here, he'll probably keep the team in games and that's fine. However, this year has become rather irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. TT is going to be 40 next year. 1) How long until father time catches up to him? 2) Why would he even want to comeback? The fact that he keeps playing B2B's is an indicator that we're just playing him until he inevitably leaves, imo. I don't think that we intend to bring him back or even keep him all year.

Markstrom has been disappointing at this level. Even if he progresses as the year continues, it's probably not wise to rely on him as the starter next year. There should be question marks as to what he'll become at this point.

Clemmer is irrelevant.

My question is, what should we do? Each and every game, getting saves is important. Who's going to be the guy to do that for us next year and beyond?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
If the team shows improvement the rest of the season I would think TT will sign again if healthy. If he has a third injury this year I´m betting he calls it a career.

There are some free agents that could be signed. Forward runners for me would be Hiller and Halak. Secondary options could be Elliot, Gustavsson and Dubnyk. Wild card Justin Peters.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
How many games should we expect from Markstrom next year? This was the plan this year and it failed.

why would he be AHL eligable in his first year of the contract if it was the plan to send him down?

plan all along was to let him play in the AHL

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't see any indication that we don't want to bring Thomas back, or that we want to trade him. Roloson played until he was 42. Thomas could play one more year, maybe even two. If not, this summer is going to be a good one for goalies on the UFA market. There's no crisis.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
How many games should we expect from Markstrom next year? This was the plan this year and it failed.

as I've told you previously, marly had a 2 way contract this yr, thats why he was 3rd man out.

teams plays better scores 3 or more helps a little too.

so ya get marly a vet next yr and this will be our least issue..

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don't see any indication that we don't want to bring Thomas back, or that we want to trade him. Roloson played until he was 42. Thomas could play one more year, maybe even two. If not, this summer is going to be a good one for goalies on the UFA market. There's no crisis.

Agree 100%.

Erick*

as I've told you previously, marly had a 2 way contract this yr, thats why he was 3rd man out.

teams plays better scores 3 or more helps a little too.

so ya get marly a vet next yr and this will be our least issue..

Had Markstrom played well, he would still be here. Markstrom is not in the NHL because he played poorly when given the opportunity. It has nothing to do with the business of the sport. The Panthers would've had no problem buying out Clemmer's contract/leaving him in the AHL. They've done it with other players who were more expensive (Kuba, Versteeg, etc.)

The plan was for Thomas and Markstrom to split games this year.

Erick*

It would be good if Thomas came back. I just don't see it happening for some reason.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It would be good if Thomas came back. I just don't see it happening for some reason.

Why? On his part or the Panthers'? He seems to like it here. Young up and coming team, and he seems to revel in being a veteran leader for the youth here. I don't know why he'd want to uproot yet again.

Erick*

Why? On his part or the Panthers'? He seems to like it here. Young up and coming team, and he seems to revel in being a veteran leader for the youth here. I don't know why he'd want to uproot yet again.

On his part.

I feel like he signed here because it was one of the few places giving him a chance to start this year due to his year off.

Now that he's playing and playing pretty well, his market will be better next offseason.

I would also guess that he'll pick the team that's going to win sooner rather than later since he's going to be 40 next year. The fact that the team is up and coming seems irrelevant in this case imo.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
On his part.

I feel like he signed here because it was one of the few places giving him a chance to start this year due to his year off.

Now that he's playing and playing pretty well, his market will be better next offseason.

I would also guess that he'll pick the team that's going to win sooner rather than later since he's going to be 40 next year. The fact that the team is up and coming seems irrelevant in this case imo.

I don't see how it's irrelevant, it could be exciting to Thomas at this point in his career. He's already won a Cup and two Vezinas. He might realize that most Cup contenders for the next 1-2 years already have a great starter in place. And he only has 1-2 more years. He might be content in his current situation, and he sounds like it when he talks about it. Idk, my impression is that he's happy here, and it seems genuine.

Erick*

If the team shows improvement the rest of the season I would think TT will sign again if healthy. If he has a third injury this year I´m betting he calls it a career.

There are some free agents that could be signed. Forward runners for me would be Hiller and Halak. Secondary options could be Elliot, Gustavsson and Dubnyk. Wild card Justin Peters.

For what it's worth, I do not like any of these secondary options at all.

Hiller and Halak are better options although I'm not sure how they'd do here. Halak, for example, gets to play for what is arguably the best defensive team in hockey so it might be a tough transition for him coming here. It would suck to pay for the wrong guy.

I actually think that Tim Thomas would probably be the best option if he's willing to comeback.

Erick*

I don't see how it's irrelevant, it could be exciting to Thomas at this point in his career. He's already won a Cup and two Vezinas. He might realize that most Cup contenders for the next 1-2 years already have a great starter in place. And he only has 1-2 more years. He might be content in his current situation, and he sounds like it when he talks about it. Idk, my impression is that he's happy here, and it seems genuine.

What type of contract do you think he gets after the year? What about the other guys probably in his tier like Hiller/Halak?

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I think it depends a lot on how much longer can he withstand with age. After the interview they had after the game tonight, it's obvious that he's very happy to be back in the NHL and seems to really like playing on this team. However, with two injuries already this season, I do question if he'll be able to play 60% of the games for another season. Perhaps Markstrom might be more developed next season as well to take the starting role is Thomas doesn't re-sign. It's too early to have any answers to this yet.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I feel very comfortable with Thomas in net. The guy was just amazing tonight. If he can still play at that level, at his age, then keep him as long as he wants to stay.

The Cats need to figure out what their future plans are though.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I think it depends a lot on how much longer can he withstand with age. After the interview they had after the game tonight, it's obvious that he's very happy to be back in the NHL and seems to really like playing on this team. However, with two injuries already this season, I do question if he'll be able to play 60% of the games for another season. Perhaps Markstrom might be more developed next season as well to take the starting role is Thomas doesn't re-sign. It's too early to have any answers to this yet.

I really like the guy. He looks like he's having a ball out there. He's cocky and can still shut teams down and steal games. He's perfect right now if he can stay healthy.

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
I would like to see Thomas signed to a 2 year contract. Unfortunately, I see him being dealt to a contender who needs a goalie. He doesn't have the time to wait around on a re-building team. His replacement will come in free agency. Hey, he might be his own replacement.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What type of contract do you think he gets after the year? What about the other guys probably in his tier like Hiller/Halak?

I think we can sign him to a 1 year 4M deal. I would think Hiller and Halak both get at least 3-4M. I'm not sure about length. I can see Halak getting a 4-5 year deal though. I prefer Halak, Ducks fans aren't too high on Hiller anymore. People are also forgetting about Miller, Nabokov, Bryzgalov, Giguere, even Khudobin and Scrivens, who have both played really well this season and might be ready to become starters. They might both price themselves out of Carolina and L.A. respectively. It sucks that Khudobin got injured just as soon as he was really finding his groove though.

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
i think you have to acquire someone who has the potential to be your long term franchise starter. you cannot anoint JM as that guy. you have to let them fight for that spot. and then who cares who wins as long as the end result is a quality starting goalie in net.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
If this team is out of the playoff picture by trade deadline TT could possibly bring a good return. Especially if he is playing lights out I think we could be talking about a first rounder which would be hard to turn down.

In any case it´s a win-win situation since he could be signed back in the off-season again :laugh: Or any of the other FA goalies.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Had Markstrom played well, he would still be here. Markstrom is not in the NHL because he played poorly when given the opportunity. It has nothing to do with the business of the sport. The Panthers would've had no problem buying out Clemmer's contract/leaving him in the AHL. They've done it with other players who were more expensive (Kuba, Versteeg, etc.)

The plan was for Thomas and Markstrom to split games this year.

Let me try this way.

If Markstrom had a 1 way contract like clemmer, do you seriously think he would have been waived cause his play sucked?

Of course not. Clemmer would be in the ahl ...

Marky was the 3rd man out because of his 2 way contract; if he had a one way he'd be here.

And now we have a b/u that coach has so little faith in he's nailed to the bench barring iron man Thomas physical collapse.

On the greater point, I would love to have Thomas 1 more year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad