Tim Thomas/Goaltending Discussion

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
If this team is out of the playoff picture by trade deadline TT could possibly bring a good return. Especially if he is playing lights out I think we could be talking about a first rounder which would be hard to turn down.

In any case it´s a win-win situation since he could be signed back in the off-season again :laugh: Or any of the other FA goalies.

yep, i still think there's a lot of teams that could use thomas at 50% salary kept... imagine penguins picking him up at 50%, would instantly become an even bigger favourite. if vokoun is healthy by then, he could get sent back and play some here as a fan favourite

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
yep, i still think there's a lot of teams that could use thomas at 50% salary kept... imagine penguins picking him up at 50%, would instantly become an even bigger favourite. if vokoun is healthy by then, he could get sent back and play some here as a fan favourite

The cap hit would be pretty small at the trade deadline, I doubt that would be any kind of problem. But yeah, Penguins with TT between the pipes... yikes.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
As Thomas` fan, I have been watching mostly Panthers this season. Without any bias, the team is way better when he is around (as everyone saw against Flames and Ducks).

If the team has even a slight chance of making the playoffs prior deadline, I would not trade TT.

CoolburnIsGone

As Thomas` fan, I have been watching mostly Panthers this season. Without any bias, the team is way better when he is around (as everyone saw against Flames and Ducks).

If the team has even a slight chance of making the playoffs prior deadline, I would not trade TT.
Jim-Mora-Playoffs.jpg

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Atlantic/Florida_ChanceWillMakePlayoffs.html

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Can we start talking contract extension with TT already?

Assuming we are well out of the playoffs and sellers by the deadline wouldn't you prefer the return that he would warrant? Thomas is the short term fix. Resigning him next year would mean exactly what we see this year, a mediocre team being supported by a very good goalie. Another average goalie to hold this team over for a year while splitting with Marky should get it done IMO. But if we do it this way we get the return for Thomas and are in a similar situation next year than if we had TT.

I don't think TT can single handedly take this team to the playoffs next year so I don't see the point in not getting his return and just getting another stop-gap instead.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Assuming we are well out of the playoffs and sellers by the deadline wouldn't you prefer the return that he would warrant? Thomas is the short term fix. Resigning him next year would mean exactly what we see this year, a mediocre team being supported by a very good goalie. Another average goalie to hold this team over for a year while splitting with Marky should get it done IMO. But if we do it this way we get the return for Thomas and are in a similar situation next year than if we had TT.

I don't think TT can single handedly take this team to the playoffs next year so I don't see the point in not getting his return and just getting another stop-gap instead.

if TT really likes it here, i guess he and GMDT could make a deal that thomas gets to pick the team that he wants to go to and then comes back

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Can we start talking contract extension with TT already?
I like him too, but if we resign him, I'm guessing that's the end of Markstrom? Assuming Clem isn't brought back/retires, he'd be the backup and then what? I think if he's not the #1 next year, he'll never make the NHL with the Panthers.

Assuming we are well out of the playoffs and sellers by the deadline wouldn't you prefer the return that he would warrant?
A solid option

if TT really likes it here, i guess he and GMDT could make a deal that thomas gets to pick the team that he wants to go to and then comes back
This would be a great scenario, but trading and then resigning a player almost never happens.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012

I like him too, but if we resign him, I'm guessing that's the end of Markstrom? Assuming Clem isn't brought back/retires, he'd be the backup and then what? I think if he's not the #1 next year, he'll never make the NHL with the Panthers.

A solid option

This would be a great scenario, but trading and then resigning a player almost never happens.

yes, but starters are rarely traded at trade deadline afaik? if we retain 50% of the rest of the year, that gives him a ridiculous cap hit for his skills. and it would only be if he's up for it himself

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Timmy will be what 41? He can split games with Marky. Based on the stuff said earlier in the year I wouldn't be surprised if we resign Timmy to another season.

Erick*

Assuming we are well out of the playoffs and sellers by the deadline wouldn't you prefer the return that he would warrant? Thomas is the short term fix.

If he'd be willing to stay, I would rather keep Thomas until he retires. The return would potentially be no fix at all. His trade value isn't going to be that great, anyway.

Erick*

I like him too, but if we resign him, I'm guessing that's the end of Markstrom?

Timmy is going to be 40 soon. Ideally, Markstrom would improve and they could split the games where both get a good amount of playing time. There's nothing wrong with having two very good goalies. However, it's important to note that Markstrom isn't even that yet so we'll get to that when we get there. All I know is that a healthy Tim Thomas provides stability in our net.

At the age of 39, Tim Thomas is our best and most valuable player. Many on here believe that the core of young players is good and many on here believe that Horachek is a good coach. If we are to believe those two things, I don't see why anyone would want to trade Thomas for a pick and/or prospect.

Furthermore, there's no reason why we can't keep Thomas and add other free agents to improve the team some more. As it stands (and we all agree to our own extent that this team is not that talented), we are 6-7-1 with Thomas in net this year. Not terrible. What's terrible is that we're 1-6-4 when he doesn't play. That shows how valuable Timmy/good goaltending is to this team.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
If he'd be willing to stay, I would rather keep Thomas until he retires. The return would potentially be no fix at all. His trade value isn't going to be that great, anyway.

why wouldn't it be great?

pending UFA, plays lights out every game behind a mediocre to bad team. and if the offer is right, i'm sure we can retain salary. he's a true trade bait for any team that lacks a starter to contend... if one of the starter of a cup favourite goes down, taking a shot at thomas for 50% of his salary is just amazing

Erick*

why wouldn't it be great?

pending UFA, plays lights out every game behind a mediocre to bad team. and if the offer is right, i'm sure we can retain salary. he's a true trade bait for any team that lacks a starter to contend... if one of the starter of a cup favourite goes down, taking a shot at thomas for 50% of his salary is just amazing

Because 39-year-old goalies normally don't go for much...

What are you expecting in return?

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I have no interest in trading him.

I want us to play well and him enjoy being here. He's a leader that oozes confidence and the real reason we are playing better.

Markstrom is already playing lights out, and TT would be a great pairing next year.

Have no problem with Erick's proposal to give him an other year if he's interested.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Because 39-year-old goalies normally don't go for much...

What are you expecting in return?

normally is the keyword here, how many 39 year old goaltenders are playing at thomas level and have a decent caphit?

i'd def. see a late 1st as a possibility, but it greatly depends on injuries and if thomas want to move. i wouldn't trade him if he want to stay in florida. would love if GMDT and thomas makes a deal that thomas can pick where he want to go and then come back next year

Killerinstinct

Dec 19, 2012
Biggest mistake to trade Thomas, lets try to keep him here next season too and lead us to the playoffs.

Erick*

normally is the keyword here, how many 39 year old goaltenders are playing at thomas level and have a decent caphit?

i'd def. see a late 1st as a possibility, but it greatly depends on injuries and if thomas want to move. i wouldn't trade him if he want to stay in florida. would love if GMDT and thomas makes a deal that thomas can pick where he want to go and then come back next year

I don't think we could get a late 1st. Even if we did, that would be a disappointing return to me.

Bottom line is, his value to this team > his trade value. I hope he wants to stay here.

CoolburnIsGone

Things that will hurt Thomas' trade value:

1. Ryan Miller is available for trade (to make a deal happen, I would bet Buffalo can retain 3.25M of his contract to make it affordable for a team for the rest of this yr)
2. One of the Anaheim goalies is available (Hiller is a UFA-to-be so most likely target)
3. Both goalies in St Louis are UFA-to-be so one probably will be shopped (most likely Elliott)
4. Outside chance that Brodeur could be made available

Trading Thomas wont net much anyways...goalie values are usually not very high unless its a younger player or a top 5 goalie in the league. If anyone wants to refute that, go find a comparable trade in recent yrs.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/home

Hariken

Apr 7, 2013
panthers should just dump markstrom..perhaps some foolish gm want a young goalie and will give up picks for him...he is never gonna becoma a nhl starter anyway since he sucks

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
If Thomas continues the stellar play all season and stays healthy, I can't see why not to give him another year extension. He seems to love being down here and having the chance to play in the NHL. He also is providing veteran help for the locker room to the young players.

I can't see Markstrom making such a vast improvement to be a secure starter next season. I'd let the guy keep developing in San Antonio or maybe try him as back-up or try a 50/50 split again. I can't see Thomas having a whole lot of value and how likely it would be that we would be able to sign a much better goaltender in free agency in the off-season. I can't see guys Hiller, Miller, or Elliott choose Florida as their top choice. It think it's too early to decide or think about this now. A lot will depend on Thomas's health and play prior to the trade deadline.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
panthers should just dump markstrom..perhaps some foolish gm want a young goalie and will give up picks for him...he is never gonna becoma a nhl starter anyway since he sucks

Yea because we all know that once a goalie hits the ripe, old age of 23 it's time to cut bait if he isn't performing up to standard -___-

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Thomas has been so mismanaged by this coach its pathetic.

Of course he's fatiguing these last 2 games after being played game in and game out as his age with his injuries.

He either needs to play the B/u or get a b/u he trusts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad