Signing(s): Tim Tebow to Mets

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
as a 29 year old
not in the Cali or Florida State League, just "full season" A ball

almost 4 years older than his next oldest teammate.

Actually that number would fail to impress me at all in the Cali League given what a hitter's league it is. If it were Carolina League I'd say that's not too bad given it's a pitcher's league. Not sure how the South Atlantic League is in terms of being a hitter's league versus a pitcher's league.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Not only is he a bad player but he's also awkward in everything he does. But hey, merchandise sales and free publicity! Call me crazy but I'd rather have an actual prospect playing than a sideshow.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Went 3 for 3 yesterday (plus a walk) to get his average above .200 though his OBP is still sub .300

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He's a great athlete so it's not surprising he can learn and adjust at the plate and get slightly better. From an athletic perspective i'm happy for him because playing a great game like baseball at a pro level beats the hell out of sitting at home or giving motivational speeches, but he'll never get very far above where he's at now, if at all.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Not only is he a bad player but he's also awkward in everything he does. But hey, merchandise sales and free publicity! Call me crazy but I'd rather have an actual prospect playing than a sideshow.

Minor League Baseball IS a sideshow. It ceased to be about the baseball a long time ago in most places and is now a "family-friendly entertainment experience." The Fireflies would be doing it wrong if they weren't milking this for everything it's worth, just like the Birmingham Barons in "The Jordan Year." (I'm not making that up, that's really what they call it.)

Tebow's 6 for his last 16 at the plate. He's heatin' up! :naughty:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Nothing earth shattering but he's starting to be a bit more consistent and his on-base has been .300+ for a couple weeks now (yes grasping for anything :laugh:)

However he has not had a RBI since April 16 and he still strikes out way too much, 26 in 91 ABs

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
All the hate towards this man is disgusting. Yes, he's not a good ball player but guess what neither is 90% of other players throughout the minor leagues. He's doing something he's always dreamed about. What have you done lately?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
There's zero doubt in my mind if the Mets are totally out of it in August he's being called up. The Wilpons are greedy and will take any extra money they can get

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
All the hate towards this man is disgusting. Yes, he's not a good ball player but guess what neither is 90% of other players throughout the minor leagues. He's doing something he's always dreamed about. What have you done lately?

It's not that people hate him, it's that he gets hype for no good reason. At least in the NFL he had that good stretch and he was a great college QB.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
He's a positive example for christians. I believe that is plenty good reason. He's practically a rock star in the Bible Belt.

It's not that people hate him, it's that he gets hype for no good reason. At least in the NFL he had that good stretch and he was a great college QB.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
yeah i think the message is more from homer simpson.

3i3htUv.jpg

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The State (Columbia, SC's newspaper) has a good piece on Tebow's progress/development here. Interestingly they note a rumor that the Mets intend to promote Tebow to Double-A Binghamton after the All Star Break. FWIW Tebow was not named to the South Atlantic League's All Star Game (the game's being hosted in Columbia this year).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The State (Columbia, SC's newspaper) has a good piece on Tebow's progress/development here. Interestingly they note a rumor that the Mets intend to promote Tebow to Double-A Binghamton after the All Star Break. FWIW Tebow was not named to the South Atlantic League's All Star Game (the game's being hosted in Columbia this year).

LOL, exactly what I mean, he might want to genuinely play baseball, but everyone else treats it like a publicity stunt. On some level he has to be with that too.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Tebow has no business being in AA ball, but I guess the Mets promised Binghamton they would also get in on the sideshow this season. Works out for Tebow as well, since Bristol will only be a 4 hour drive from Binghamton.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Slightly OT but I absolutely hate the new name for the Binghamton team, I know minor league names are gimmicky but damn...:shakehead

Honestly, he is doing better than I expected (hitting over .200, OBP over .300 at least), but I had low expectations. Definitely does not deserve to go up to AA based on his numbers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad