Signing(s): Tim Tebow to Mets

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Slightly OT but I absolutely hate the new name for the Binghamton team, I know minor league names are gimmicky but damn...:shakehead

Honestly, he is doing better than I expected (hitting over .200, OBP over .300 at least), but I had low expectations. Definitely does not deserve to go up to AA based on his numbers

The NH Fisher Cats were originally going to be called the NH Primaries.
It didnt take long for the public to voice their displeasure thru the team front office and the local paper.
NH Primaries would of been the worst.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The NH Fisher Cats were originally going to be called the NH Primaries.
It didnt take long for the public to voice their displeasure thru the team front office and the local paper.
NH Primaries would of been the worst.

The logos would have been the best, however.

new-hampshire-primaries-020816-milb-ftr_69c1izpfq2i21l6q4nfc06p8a.jpg

new-hampshire-primaries-secondary.gif

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Mets announced Tebow is getting promoted to High-A St. Lucie after Columbia's game today, which I'm honestly surprised didn't happen in the first place because of the money to be made of Tebow playing baseball in Florida.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Mets announced Tebow is getting promoted to High-A St. Lucie after Columbia's game today, which I'm honestly surprised didn't happen in the first place because of the money to be made of Tebow playing baseball in Florida.

That and the fact that the Mets own St. Lucie outright (the Mets have no ownership rights in Columbia) so they get to keep all ticket and merch revenue that comes from having Tebow play in St. Lucie.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Clown show.

Tebow held a showcase that most teams sent scouts to last September. The Mets signed him the following week. However, Alderson said, “The guy we sent to see him in California did not exactly send back a glowing report. I knew immediately he would not want his name as the signing scout.

“Ultimately,’’ he added, “the guy that we put down was the director of merchandising.â€Â

Alderson shared what he called “an inside joke†while participating in a panel at Citi Field for the 47th annual SABR convention Friday. The 500-plus attendees roared with laughter.

When Tebow was signed, Alderson called it “a baseball decision,†but he now is giving a bigger-picture explanation. After saying that every report on Tebow indicates he is a “gold-standard individual,†he added, “Look, we signed him because he is a good guy, partly because of his celebrity, partly because this is an entertainment business. My attitude is ‘why not?’ â€Â

http://thecomeback.com/mlb/mets-scout-didnt-want-tim-tebow-gave-signing-director-marketing.html

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
He's actually doing well (stats wise, not watching him obviously) in St. Lucie, much better than in Columbia, even he is cutting down his strike outs

At this pace he will be added to the 40-man roster in September once the Mets are 20 games out of a playoff spot and need a boost in attendance :sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, to his credit he's not embarrassing himself.

A .700 OPS in A/A+ ball as a rookie pro who had been taken as a mid-round pick out of college at age 22 would be perfectly respectable. He'll obviously never play a MLB game on merit, but he might play at AA on merit if he sticks with it through next year, which is actually a pretty impressive feat after taking basically a decade away from the sport.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
A .700 OPS in A/A+ ball as a rookie pro who had been taken as a mid-round pick out of college at age 22 would be perfectly respectable.

No it wouldn't be. And these would be 20-22 year olds not even close to their prime. This is a guy that might already be past his.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He's actually doing well (stats wise, not watching him obviously) in St. Lucie, much better than in Columbia, even he is cutting down his strike outs

At this pace he will be added to the 40-man roster in September once the Mets are 20 games out of a playoff spot and need a boost in attendance :sarcasm:

You joke but it legit could happen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No it wouldn't be. And these would be 20-22 year olds not even close to their prime. This is a guy that might already be past his.

Ok, let's look at the Mets' college draftees from the first 20 rounds of the 2016 draft:

Peter Alonso (2nd round) - .728 OPS in A+ in 2017
Blake Tiberi (3rd round) - .540 OPS in A
Michael Paez (4th round) - .868 OPS in A/A+
Colby Woodmansee (5th round) - injured most of this year, .571 OPS since being drafted
Gene Cone (10th round) - .657 OPS in A
Dan Rizzie (13th round) - .473 OPS in A/A+
Jacob Zanon (15th round) - injured most of this year, .655 OPS since being drafted
Jay Jabs (17th round) - .694 OPS in A

Tebow is matching or out-performing all but one of these 8 guys. And this includes guys taken in the 2nd-3rd round. And yeah, of course he's 7 years older ... but these guys have just played 4 years of college baseball as opposed to taking a decade away from the sport. And yes, all but the one guy will probably be busts, but the point is that where he's at isn't bad at all for a first-year pro.

Again, he's not embarrassing himself. He's playing at a level that would be perfectly acceptable from most mid-round picks playing their first year in pro baseball and might be able to play in AA on merit. Which is damned impressive.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

<shudder>

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Good stats for a guy who stopped playing baseball at a high level for years.

Putting aside his football career and his religious beliefs for a minute, it is pretty cool that the guy can just decide he wants to play baseball at a pro level and then he actually does okay at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad