Tim Murray has greatly impressed / Rehash Regier Era

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
So far so good. But buying a fancy car with money other people left you is no cause for cheering purchase ability, only willingness to spend.

ADoubleD

Jul 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I think that Darcy was good at making the trades to stockpile pieces, but I'd have no faith in him to make the deals to bring in guys like Kane, O'Reilly etc.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I am happy with him---the key will be what he does between now and the start of 15/17 season. What trades are made, how much are players signed for, does he make a coaching change?

Darcy Regier would NEVER have made the Kane/Myers trade. He would have traded Stafford for a pick+Kasdorf

Darcy's poorest part was his inability to make big trades. the biggest he did was the Drury trade but that trade was an under the radar trade. He couldnt give up more than he needed to to get a trade done.

Big as in making a major addition to the team, or big as in simply impactful? Because the Vanek trade was huge.

I'm with most of the responses here, I'm satisfied with Murray so far but he's still doing the easy part of the job. You can't legitimately make a decision on him until the team is winning.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I am happy with him---the key will be what he does between now and the start of 15/17 season. What trades are made, how much are players signed for, does he make a coaching change?

Darcy Regier would NEVER have made the Kane/Myers trade. He would have traded Stafford for a pick+Kasdorf

Darcy's poorest part was his inability to make big trades. the biggest he did was the Drury trade but that trade was an under the radar trade. He couldnt give up more than he needed to to get a trade done.

Darcy only traded for the greatest sabre of all time.

When it came to big trades I tend to factor in Golisano. If memory is correct every trade had to be financial approved by Golisano. With Pegula it is only about hockey.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Big as in making a major addition to the team, or big as in simply impactful? Because the Vanek trade was huge.

I'm with most of the responses here, I'm satisfied with Murray so far but he's still doing the easy part of the job. You can't legitimately make a decision on him until the team is winning.

Agreed here.

At first I did not like moving Myers. But I warmed up to it like many did. This deadline and draft (moves near the draft as well), will really show the direction and identity we are finally becoming.

One of the biggest questions after the draft will be coaching. Are we going to stick with Nolan or was he always just a tank coach?

Bottom line, greatly impressed is a very strong statement. I'd be more easily swayed if more if he was able to keep the xtra 1st rounder or Lemieux in the trade.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I find his open approach to talking about players and trades refreshing and his aggressive approach exciting.

Whether he's actually successful - its way too early to tell.

I always thought darcy was great at trades - we always seemed to get the better side of a deal. But it never seemed to be when we needed it and it never really got us anywhere. I think Murray will lose more trades, but his timeliness in addressing player personnel issues might have a greater overall impact than Darcy's trade record. I'm hoping that will be what makes him a great GM.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's certainly different and refreshing to have a GM here who's not afraid of making a big trade, is in on the big names on the trade market, etc. Only time will tell whether that approach is any more effective than Regier's though. If we end up with a team that's perennially considered a cup contender, then we can say Murray greatly impressed. Until then, like his moves or don't, there aren't really any fruits by which to judge the labor yet.

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY
Murray makes trades to build a team which is why he is okay with 'losing' a deal. Whereas a lot of times Darcy traded for random players and then tried to fit them into spots where they didn't belong.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
Murray makes trades to build a team which is why he is okay with 'losing' a deal. Whereas a lot of times Darcy traded for random players and then tried to fit them into spots where they didn't belong.

Kind of those years that we didn't have more than a couple of centers?

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
His personality has been impressive and I'm in sync with his vision but I wouldn't say his moves have greatly impressed so far. They appear to be good at this stage is what I'd say. He's only been on the job a year.

I thought the haul was both realistic with the Miller/Ott trade and with the Winnipeg deal. Again it goes from the perceived value of the deal. It is a risky move with Evander Kane, but those are the type of trades you go for. I think he's been solid in all aspects.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Darcy only traded for the greatest sabre of all time.

When it came to big trades I tend to factor in Golisano. If memory is correct every trade had to be financial approved by Golisano. With Pegula it is only about hockey.
It's been a long week (not even over yet) and it's getting late, so I'm probably missing an obvious joke or something, but the lost reference is bugging me. Steve Heinze? Vlad Tsyplakov?

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
It's been a long week (not even over yet) and it's getting late, so I'm probably missing an obvious joke or something, but the lost reference is bugging me. Steve Heinze? Vlad Tsyplakov?

You mean Drury isn't the greatest Sabre of all time?

Gerry Meehan certainly brought in some great players -Hasek, Hawerchuk, LaFontaine and the Molgilny defection.
Only one losing season but alas only the MayDay playoff series win as well.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I thought the haul was both realistic with the Miller/Ott trade and with the Winnipeg deal. Again it goes from the perceived value of the deal. It is a risky move with Evander Kane, but those are the type of trades you go for. I think he's been solid in all aspects.

If you look at his trades on the whole, whether dumping UFAs (Miller, Ott, Moulson, etc) or hockey trades (Faching, Kane, Bogo, etc), he's done well. That isn't the same as being greatly impressive, though. The only ways for trades to be greatly impressive immediately are if the value is crazy good or if they solve a burning issue. I don't think anyone would say the value on his hockey trades has been crazy good though he really squeezed the most value out of the UFA's that he probably good. You could say bringing in Kane solves a burning issue at the winger spot. For me though, it's just not immediately overly impressive. It's something that time will tell, especially how Bogosian pans out long-term with that trade and how Fasching does as an NHLer (though I've always loved that trade). His draft last year also wasn't immediately impressive, but time will tell.

That's not to say his trades have underwhelmed. Like I said, his moves look good, but not so good that I won't wait to see how it all comes together before saying I've been greatly impressed. The way he speaks, his purported vision for the team, etc have all impressed tremendously from day 1.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Agreed here.

At first I did not like moving Myers. But I warmed up to it like many did. This deadline and draft (moves near the draft as well), will really show the direction and identity we are finally becoming.

One of the biggest questions after the draft will be coaching. Are we going to stick with Nolan or was he always just a tank coach?

Bottom line, greatly impressed is a very strong statement. I'd be more easily swayed if more if he was able to keep the xtra 1st rounder or Lemieux in the trade.

That was the tough part. He probably didn't want to give up that extra bit.

It was a unique trade that fit Murray's agenda -- get a potential superstar in Kane who won't actually play this year and impact the tank.

Murray can prattle on about wanting to win this year and everybody knows it ain't true.

That deal has to be viewed in th context of wanting to finish last and it has helped with that to some degree, I think.

I'd day his main criticism might be the way he deals with Nolan, when all is said and done. It's going to be his toughest call. He's been a horrid coach but a loyal soldier. You give him crap but do you really want to risk a bad start in 2015-2016 and then fire him?

My guess is Murray fires him and how do you judge him on that? Good hockey move probably but not the way I'd want to be treated.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Agreed here.

1st rounder maybe, but we have like 10 more guys in line for roughly the same position as Lemieux. I'm not upset about losing him at all.

Honestly neither Cornel nor Karabacek seem like TM guys either, so if you ask me TM drafts BPA for the explicit purpose of using them as trade chips if their development doesn't explode. We have so many that there's no way that we will be able to use every developed prospect if even only half of them succeed. So I like that TM is willing to deal assets and backfill later.

He also seems to understand how fine the line is between patience and complacency after the tear down has completed. The I think most people were expecting slow and steady improvement resulting in playoff contention 3-4 years from now. TM knows that once we have McEichel, we have the players we need, and there's no point in waiting.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Agreed here.

As I was thinking about the trade another though came to mind.

Did the talks start pre surgery on Kane?

I wonder if the talk was more along the lines of 1st + Armia+ Lemieux for Kane and Myers for Bogo....then the sweetener was adding either adding Stafford to the deal or re,moving what buffalo was asking for like stafford was part and buffalo was going yo get a 3rd back.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
losing out on value in trades for specific players isn't really commendable until those players prove him right

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If you look at his trades on the whole, whether dumping UFAs (Miller, Ott, Moulson, etc) or hockey trades (Faching, Kane, Bogo, etc), he's done well. That isn't the same as being greatly impressive, though. The only ways for trades to be greatly impressive immediately are if the value is crazy good or if they solve a burning issue. I don't think anyone would say the value on his hockey trades has been crazy good though he really squeezed the most value out of the UFA's that he probably good. You could say bringing in Kane solves a burning issue at the winger spot. For me though, it's just not immediately overly impressive. It's something that time will tell, especially how Bogosian pans out long-term with that trade and how Fasching does as an NHLer (though I've always loved that trade). His draft last year also wasn't immediately impressive, but time will tell.

That's not to say his trades have underwhelmed. Like I said, his moves look good, but not so good that I won't wait to see how it all comes together before saying I've been greatly impressed. The way he speaks, his purported vision for the team, etc have all impressed tremendously from day 1.

Under those conditions, which I think are correct, the only time he will truly impress is how he handles trades and contracts when the cap becomes a factor And specific issues need addressing. As it stands now there are so many holes, so many assets and so much cap space no matter what he does will have a relatively low difficulty level.

LIke most moves so far. Have some questions about the draft and you know who from last year.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Nolan remains a concern for me because I think this ends poorly again.

I doubt Nolan agreed to an extension as a short-term tank commander. If Nolan feels slighted, 1) could cause concerns for finding the next coach here if Murray is willing to treat his coaches like that, and 2) Buffalo fanbase will always have a significant group of rabid lovers of Nolan, that sour note on Murray would never go away, similar to Darcy.

If not, then Nolan's here for the start of bringing all these new kids in next year, and that's... ugh. Nolan has not impressed me at all with his actions this year, and results have nothing to do with that.

Hence why I wish Murray nipped the Nolan thing in the bud before this year and moved on.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Maybe the notion of "winning" a trade is overrated? You can "lose" a trade by perception and still end up on top. Shoot lets see:

We "won" the Miller trade: STL one of the best in the league
We "won" the Pommer trade: MIN competing for playoffs
We "exceedingly won" the Vanek trade: NYI should in the playoffs (shield me from Matt Martin, but we know they will be picking top 5 for another 3 years after so im not jealous of them at all)

I like the aggressiveness of Murray and am actually very excited to see how much we can improve next year. Id like to see a 20-30 point jump in the standings and then we can see the results.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Maybe the notion of "winning" a trade is overrated? You can "lose" a trade by perception and still end up on top. Shoot lets see:

We "won" the Miller trade: STL one of the best in the league
We "won" the Pommer trade: MIN competing for playoffs
We "exceedingly won" the Vanek trade: NYI should in the playoffs (shield me from Matt Martin, but we know they will be picking top 5 for another 3 years after so im not jealous of them at all)

I like the aggressiveness of Murray and am actually very excited to see how much we can improve next year. Id like to see a 20-30 point jump in the standings and then we can see the results.

that's complementary to my point rather than a counter to it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad