Tim Murray has greatly impressed / Rehash Regier Era

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The recent use of assets combined with tsn's talking heads revelation on Tims interest in ROR and heading to the draft gunning for mceichel has me reeling with anticipation.

I had originally thought the rebuild could push contention to 19/20 season, but now I'm thinking 17/18 if Tim can pull this off.

Thoughts on Tim from others?
Has he impressed you as well?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
His personality has been impressive and I'm in sync with his vision but I wouldn't say his moves have greatly impressed so far. They appear to be good at this stage is what I'd say. He's only been on the job a year.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I like Murray's no-nonsense attitude, and I am thankful he's embracing the tank.

We'll see how his moves work over time. Far too early to be impressed or anything.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Also, let's be honest, who wouldn't have interest in ROR? Especially as a rebuilding that has short-term issues at center but projects (if last place holds) to be strong there long-term term, it's a no-brainer to have interest in a very available, very good two-way player who can play center and wing.

Now, if he can pull it off at the right price then secure ROR long-term at a non-insane contract, then he gets a ton of credit. It's good that he has interest, though. This and other things show he sees a lot of things the way some of us on here do.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Tim Murray has Brian Burke's truculence combined with some of Darcy's trading prowess.

I have to say, I was pretty shocked when Myers was traded, but I like that GMTM stated clearly what his plan was when he took the job and then went out and executed it e.g., he said he wanted to build a team like LA, that he was collecting picks and prospects until he had enough, then he was going to trade them for players further along in their development. The Myers trade made sense when I reconciled it with the statements that he's made since day one. If nothing else, Murray is pretty darn honest about his intentions.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I like his personality and his frankness. I also like that he knows what he wants...even if we don't know if he's right. He does seem to overpay a touch for the things he wants, so for now, we need to put a bit of faith in his judgment. As two examples, if Fasching turns into a second-line power forward and Kane scores 40 goals, then he looks like a genius. If a bunch of those trades fail, then he looks aggressive for the sake of being aggressive.

Regier got more value in his trades, but he was patient to a fault (and fell too in love with his own guys). Murray is more of a wheeler and dealer, and he seems like he can move on quickly from his players with little emotion involved. Both styles have their merits and faults. Clearly, Darcy's style didn't work. Let's hope that Murray's does.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I like Murray

But I think a lot of that is based on his personality and the dramatic departure from that we knew with Darcy.

His 2014 draft was thought to be solid. I liked the decision to send Reinhart down. But Lemieux is gone and Cornel and Karabacek have not performed at the same level as last year - so who knows relative to the later round selections. They are always a crap shoot anyways.

His off season moves with Gionta, Moulson and Gorges were solid moves for the rebuild. The trades he just made and the Winnipeg deal in particular have been solid moves IMO and demonstrate the willingness to move assets to acquire other talent irrespective of who the player is.

He could be doing a much better job in Rochester. I'm one of the guys who thinks the best way to develop talent is to put them in a winning environment with solid veteran leadership and great coaching. I had hoped that the Amerks would be the shining jewel of the organization and demonstrate how the pipeline was developing. However, they seem to have sunk down to the level of Buffalo this year. Coaching? Not enough of the right type of veteran leadership? If nothing else, I think this year has shown that that the goaltending pipeline needs a boost - which might occur with Ulmark coming over and Hackett showing he has recovered. Makarov has been inconsistent and I fear that Lieuwen - who showed promise - is done.

I have to resist the urge to love the guy based on the contrast with Darcy. Mostly positive so far - but still under review.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I like his personality and his frankness. I also like that he knows what he wants...even if we don't know if he's right. He does seem to overpay a touch for the things he wants, so for now, we need to put a bit of faith in his judgment. As two examples, if Fasching turns into a second-line power forward and Kane scores 40 goals, then he looks like a genius. If a bunch of those trades fail, then he looks aggressive for the sake of being aggressive.

Regier got more value in his trades, but he was patient to a fault (and fell too in love with his own guys). Murray is more of a wheeler and dealer, and he seems like he can move on quickly from his players with little emotion involved. Both styles have their merits and faults. Clearly, Darcy's style didn't work. Let's hope that Murray's does.

I like this assessment

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
He's making moves and he's aggressive. That's good, but can also be dangerous. Regier was the opposite - cautious and made sure he got value in every deal even if it didn't move the team in the right direction.

I'd say they're the dynamic duo. Regier stockpiled ammo that Murray can use to make things happen.

And yes, I'm impressed too but I think it's too early to tell really.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
My only opinions on Murray at this point are aggressive in trades and duplicitous sound bytes.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Right off the bat he botched the coach thing. Time will tell if he overpaid for Kane. Draft record is too early to decipher.

I'm okay with what he has done thus far but it's too early for any sort of effusive praise from me.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Right off the bat he botched the coach thing. Time will tell if he overpaid for Kane. Draft record is too early to decipher.

I'm okay with what he has done thus far but it's too early for any sort of effusive praise from me.

Enough. The coach "thing" hasn't even played out fully. Nolan could very well be a lame duck.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You don't talk about good your contractor is before he has any drywall up.

I like Tim murray alot, but, the proof will be in the finished product.

ZeroPT*

No he didn't.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The recent use of assets combined with tsn's talking heads revelation on Tims interest in ROR and heading to the draft gunning for mceichel has me reeling with anticipation.

I had originally thought the rebuild could push contention to 19/20 season, but now I'm thinking 17/18 if Tim can pull this off.

Thoughts on Tim from others?
Has he impressed you as well?

If this was 2006 then the post would be about Regier being our saviour. I think I am waiting for results.

Foligno17

SabresFan since 1971
Jul 2, 2011
Grand Fenwick (NC)
When rated the blockbuster trade, I went with slightly negative based on value. Yet, I'm impressed with Murray for having the courage to make that kind of trade. He seems to have a strategic vision for the rebuild. He doesn't have to win every battle along the way. He needs to win the war.

I also liked a comment that he made about players being real people and not lines of code in a sports management game (or something along those lines). If he has the reputation of treating people with fairness and respect, good people will want to work for him.

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
I think a lot depends on this draft.

Assuming we get either McDavid or Eichel (which seems a pretty good bet), I really think Murray will use the later 1st and maybe Grigorenko as main pieces to acquire another stud forward (perhaps O'Reilly). It seems like a fairly common tactic for a team picking 1st overall to try to make a big splash that same day to show they're going for it.

If at the start of next season, we have added Reinhart, Kane, O'Reilly and, McEichel.... well... let's just say I can't think of many teams in NHL history that have added that much talent to their roster in a single season.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005

I agree. Regier was adept at maximizing value in an individual transaction, where Murray seems to be willing to spend more in transactions that get him the overall team makeup that he's looking for.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

in what way?

SeanDog

Feb 1, 2010
I love him so far. He's done everything right. He's rebuilding properly, he's made big trades and he has this team going in the right direction. The best we could say about Darcy was that he won his trades like a 5th grader ripping off a 1st grader's Pokemon cards.. It didn't get us very far and that coupled with his complete refusal to try and make the team better through free agency are why we've had to rebuild IMO.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I am happy with him---the key will be what he does between now and the start of 15/17 season. What trades are made, how much are players signed for, does he make a coaching change?

Darcy Regier would NEVER have made the Kane/Myers trade. He would have traded Stafford for a pick+Kasdorf

Darcy's poorest part was his inability to make big trades. the biggest he did was the Drury trade but that trade was an under the radar trade. He couldnt give up more than he needed to to get a trade done.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: