Sportsnet: Tim Leiweke is the new President and CEO of MLSE.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Q: People say if you don't win with the Maple Leafs, they will kill you.

A: Good. They should. I like that. I like pressure.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
What's the source for this?

There are too many links in this thread; but I would not mind reading your quote a bit further.

its on the video ....im curious to how aggresive he ll allow the leafs to re -sign kessel .nice he was on the outside looking in ......im sure hes talked to numerous hockey people about their take on the current and future leafs ......

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
as long as he's a good president. Im happy.
I thought... that guy.. Amsely? Aimsely? whomever, was the president but i guess it was just intermly.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
yup yup...

might even bring the NFL finally to Toronto.

I like that this guy has had 2 GMs for the Kings since he's been there Taylor and Lombardi. He let Lombardi rebuild that team, and take his time.

Hopefully he lets someone blow up the Raps, that team has a GM spinning in circles since he go there. They had a perfect opportunity to blow everything up and start over after Bosh left but they didn't.

doubt it, he couldn't even do it for LA.

Zero chance of that. The NFL strictly forbids corporate ownership. Gotta be an individual, or a small group with one person having a majority interest.

Q: People say if you don't win with the Maple Leafs, they will kill you.

A: Good. They should. I like that. I like pressure.

Well I like this guys fire. Might I say the his NFL plan was poorly done, and he did not build the most recent lakers teams alone.

I expect the Raptors to have a massive increase in payroll.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
don't like this hiring, have heard from some of my sources that he interferes with hockey ops too much for his own good. I guess only time will tell how he fares at the helm of MLSE

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It doesn't for me, but does it bother anyone that these esteemed positions went to an American? Some media have mentioned it.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
don't like this hiring, have heard from some of my sources that he interferes with hockey ops too much for his own good. I guess only time will tell how he fares at the helm of MLSE
I doubt he would. The Leafs are the wealthiest ice hockey club in the world. On the other hand, Raptors have the potential to be a top team financially, and so does TFC. In short, he's being hired to turn both teams into champs and develop product that is as resilient as the Leafs.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Anthony Petrielli ‏@APetrielli 1h
Here's everything you need to know about new MLSE president-ceo Tim Leiweke: he personally made sure LA didn't trade Dustin Brown last year.

I like the sound of this.

Members of mlse trying to make hockey decisions..... Awesome worked in the past, why not keep it going

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

This hire was more than any of us could have ever hoped for. Especially for Raptors fans. Who are your sources exactly? I also have a hard time believing that if Nonis had a good deal ready to be done and he explained why the deal was being made and why its a good move for the team, Leiweke would just stop him. You gotta be kidding.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...iweke-ready-for-success-in-toronto-with-mlse/

timleiweke.jpg

“If I can bring enthusiasm, direction and an improved sense of focus on that mission, that’s what I’ll do for the Maple Leafs," new president and CEO of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Tim Leiweke said about the possibility of bringing the Stanley Cup back to Toronto.

Tim Leiweke is not shy.

The new president and chief executive officer of Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment spoke with the media on Friday evening, and did not bother with tempering expectations. Leiweke made it clear that while he hoped to help MLSE continue its success in the business world, his main goal was to turn the Maple Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC into perennial championship contenders.

The 55-year-old native of St. Louis spoke to the media for 25 minutes, covering a wide range of topics. Here are some of his comments:

On the overall state of the organization: “I think for right now you cheer the Leafs on and try to stay out of their way. It’s more important, I think, from my standpoint, to jump into the Raptors, who have not had that success, and begin to help the board on the decision that they have now with the leadership of the Raptors, but also to begin to set a long-term focus and long-term course for that organization. … That 36-million fan base is an amazing resource. But we haven’t tapped into it. That’s going to be a high priority. I think as it relates to the football club, [Toronto FC president and general manager] Kevin Payne have known each other for a long time. Kevin worked for me when we owned D.C. United at AEG. We’re very familiar with one another. … I’m sure it’s not lost on all of you that I’m a big believe in [designated players] If you can find a big, bold one, that not only sends a message to the fan base, the community about your commitment to the team, but it changes the dynamics of the league. That’s something we’d look at doing as well.”

On bringing the Maple Leafs their first Stanley Cup since 1967: “If I can bring enthusiasm, direction and an improved sense of focus on that mission, that’s what I’ll do for the Maple Leafs. I think Dave [Nonis] and Randy [Carlyle] have done a tremendous job this year. I love the personality that this team has developed and the character that they have developed. I don’t think what they need is another GM. I think what they need is a person who just went through the experience of the environment we created to win the Stanley Cup. I’m going to do the best I can to help create that environment here and make that the priority here every day.”

Darlotto99

Jul 23, 2010
Bolton, ON
New MLSE Boss Leiweke bring back Burke!

the first job by our new president is to fix the boards mistake and bring back Burke as the President of the Leafs and have him work side by side with Dave Nonis and the team he put in place. Burke and Leiweke are friends and even Tim consulted with Burke before he took the job. if the board doesn't like Burke, then Leiweke can be the buffer between them. Burke and Nonis built this team and they together should finish the job.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
the first job by our new president is to fix the boards mistake and bring back Burke as the President of the Leafs and have him work side by side with Dave Nonis and the team he put in place. Burke and Leiweke are friends and even Tim consulted with Burke before he took the job. if the board doesn't like Burke, then Leiweke can be the buffer between them. Burke and Nonis built this team and they together should finish the job.

While his firing was a mistake but he won't be back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad