Sportsnet: Tim Leiweke is the new President and CEO of MLSE.

GoodNHLTroll*

MLSE = Making Losing Seem Easy? :sarcasm:

I'll start taking the Raptors seriously when BC is fired...meanwhile Toronto FC........yea. :help:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Leiweke is going to change the fairweather culture in Toronto. He's a personality, and an engaging one, at a high level post, who is very accessible to fans. He cares, and doesn't just sit in his office.

He shows a commitment to a winning product, and with the resources MLSE has, there's no reason to think he won't be a huge factor in making sure the Leafs become a prime destination for free agents, as well as a truly top-flight sports city in not just North America, but potentially the world.

He was key in bringing what was one of the world's best soccer players to L.A., albeit after his European glory had fizzled, but the MLS can't even dream of being a destination that is considered close to Europe. Personally I'm a Liverpool FC fan, and I guess a TFC fan, although I've never been excited about TFC at all. Leiweke's presence ensures that many more will begin paying attention, because of what he was able to accomplish with the L.A. Galaxy.

Such a great hire for not just MLSE, but the State of Toronto. Yeah, I called Toronto a state... what of it.. :laugh:

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Anthony Petrielli ‏@APetrielli 1h
Here's everything you need to know about new MLSE president-ceo Tim Leiweke: he personally made sure LA didn't trade Dustin Brown last year.

I like the sound of this.

It's not good to have your top senior executives pushing your general manager "under the bus." In this case, with Dustin Brown, it seemed to have worked out, but it's a dangerous precedent to be setting.

I like how he knows how to treat his star players well, though. I feel that Toronto needs this, as the media seems to rip apart all of Toronto's best at some time or another (Halladay, Carter, Delgado, Sundin, Phaneuf, Kessel, etc.)

He really had nothing to do with the Lakers.

Even if he was not directly responsible (which I take to be your point), there's no denying he could have learnt a thing or two working with Jerry West or Jerry Buss.

If you're interested, I would check out his press conference. This guy seems to have that drive Toronto basketball needs. Whether he is successful is another story.

One of his quotes:

"The Raptors have to aspire to be the Heat & the Lakers. A team & city that people want to be a part of. That's what we're going to build."

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
From a person who doesn't follow the NBA of raptors too often, can someone pipe in to why so many people here want RC gone? Is it just for a new fresh face?

Looking at his past record in Phoenix, he was able to build a winner. I was excited when we first got him. He was able to bring in a big free agent, in how many years, albeit, he turned to be a dud who didn't even want to play here.

I guess, his track record in drafting wasn't the best. But the big Valenchoonist (lol I know I spelled it wrong) looks promising. DeRozan also seems to be a great #2 guy.

And a trade that most fans criticized at first, Rudy Gay, as worked out great. Gay has been that true #1 since Bosh backstabbed us.

Also, to everyone patronizing the signing of Beckham to the Galaxy... if it wasn't LA, we all know Leiweke would not have been able to get him close to coming the MLS, come on now.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Leiweke is going to change the fairweather culture in Toronto. He's a personality, and an engaging one, at a high level post, who is very accessible to fans. He cares, and doesn't just sit in his office.

He shows a commitment to a winning product, and with the resources MLSE has, there's no reason to think he won't be a huge factor in making sure the Leafs become a prime destination for free agents, as well as a truly top-flight sports city in not just North America, but potentially the world.

He was key in bringing what was one of the world's best soccer players to L.A., albeit after his European glory had fizzled, but the MLS can't even dream of being a destination that is considered close to Europe. Personally I'm a Liverpool FC fan, and I guess a TFC fan, although I've never been excited about TFC at all. Leiweke's presence ensures that many more will begin paying attention, because of what he was able to accomplish with the L.A. Galaxy.

Such a great hire for not just MLSE, but the State of Toronto. Yeah, I called Toronto a state... what of it.. :laugh:

Everyone who has had his job wanted to win. There's nothing new in that regard that he brings to the table.

Fact of the matter is in all the sports the MLSE teams compete in, the financial might the team has cant really be used as a competitive advantage.

The Kings were in on the Brad Richards sweepstakes, but they lost. So I dont think Tim alone will make that much of a difference when it comes to bringing free agents to the city. Especially when it comes to the basketball side of the equation, where the perception and reality is you get less exposure on a national level by playing in Toronto.

Dont get me wrong, I like the hire. Seems like the best available candidate. But I dont think he automatically brings a change of fortune to the product on the field.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I hope that all of this BS about MLSE, and Bell/Rogers not wanting to win goes away. They hired this guy with a goal of hanging some banners up.

Everybody WANTS to win. Not everyone is ABLE to win.

We've been hiring guys that want to win for years. They haven't won.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
From a person who doesn't follow the NBA of raptors too often, can someone pipe in to why so many people here want RC gone? Is it just for a new fresh face?

Looking at his past record in Phoenix, he was able to build a winner. I was excited when we first got him. He was able to bring in a big free agent, in how many years, albeit, he turned to be a dud who didn't even want to play here.

I guess, his track record in drafting wasn't the best. But the big Valenchoonist (lol I know I spelled it wrong) looks promising. DeRozan also seems to be a great #2 guy.

And a trade that most fans criticized at first, Rudy Gay, as worked out great. Gay has been that true #1 since Bosh backstabbed us.

Also, to everyone patronizing the signing of Beckham to the Galaxy... if it wasn't LA, we all know Leiweke would not have been able to get him close to coming the MLS, come on now.

Simple. Because BC SUCKS!

But for real though he is probably one of the worst GM's in the entire league. he didn't build those Phoenix teams his dad did, for the most part and he was just resting on his laurels.

He had a young promising up and coming team with a number 1 overall pick and he blew it on Andrea Trashnani, traded away essentially Roy Hibbert for a washed up JO who we ended up traded for scraps and actually ended up helping Miami sign our own Bosh cause JO was a massive expiring. The Hedo Turkoglu signing was a huge fail as well as other dud signings like Fred Jones and tried to sign Matt Barnes but couldn't due to an incompetent front office.

He's a shill a fraud. He speaks eloquently and looks professional but has no clue how to build a basketball team.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Let's just say BC has made some horrible moves during his tenure. The only positive in what is it now? 8 years of failure is drafting Jonas Valenciunas but still failing last year in drafting Ross instead of Drummond (sp?). He has continually made bad trades ( also inc Rudy Gay aka bosh 2.0), handicapped the team for years to come with horrid contracts (fields, Gay). Won't move his son Andrea (Primo Pasta) Bargnani and took him ages to get rid off Jose (Pound the Rock) Calderon. Consistently has no specific direction for the team(changes year to year). I think 8+ years is enough. Let's just say I'm done with the raptors for a couple years unless he and Casey get fired. Some more mentions without going into detail: Hedo?, Oneal?, losing bosh for nothing.

Btw forgot to mention, did you know Gay makes more than Lebron ****ing James?? I still can't comprehend that.

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario
Let's just say BC has made some horrible moves during his tenure. The only positive in what is it now? 8 years of failure is drafting Jonas Valenciunas but still failing last year in drafting Ross instead of Drummond (sp?). He has continually made bad trades ( also inc Rudy Gay aka bosh 2.0), handicapped the team for years to come with horrid contracts (fields, Gay). Won't move his son Andrea (Primo Pasta) Bargnani and took him ages to get rid off Jose (Pound the Rock) Calderon. Consistently has no specific direction for the team(changes year to year). I think 8+ years is enough. Let's just say I'm done with the raptors for a couple years unless he and Casey get fired. Some more mentions without going into detail: Hedo?, Oneal?, losing bosh for nothing.

Btw forgot to mention, did you know Gay makes more than Lebron ****ing James?? I still can't comprehend that.

I was hoping for a HUGE raptors collapse next season to get Andrew Wiggins, but BC had to go out and make a stupid *** trade to get Rudy Gay... He essentially did it to try and save his job and made the Raptors a treadmill team :facepalm: :shakehead

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
As long as he doesn't meddle with the Leafs (or Marlies), good luck to him.

He can do whatever he wants with the junior MLSE teams since I have zero interest in them.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
As long as he doesn't meddle with the Leafs (or Marlies), good luck to him.

He can do whatever he wants with the junior MLSE teams since I have zero interest in them.

another fake sports fan...

raptors and tfc are both have excellent attendance

go back to the 1980s

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
another fake sports fan...

raptors and tfc are both have excellent attendance

go back to the 1980s

Not really sure what was wrong with his post...Leafs and Marlies appear to be headed in the right direction, so messing with them may not be a good idea.

While the Raptors and TFC may have "excellent attendance", they are not in any way comparible to the Maple Leafs franchis in Toronto, be that 1980 or 2013. The value of the Maple Leafs in popularity and revenue both locally and internationally vastly exceeds that of both the Raptors and TFC, probably even if you combine them togeather. That would make them the "junior" partner under any definition I know...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Not really sure what was wrong with his post...Leafs and Marlies appear to be headed in the right direction, so messing with them may not be a good idea.

While the Raptors and TFC may have "excellent attendance", they are not in any way comparible to the Maple Leafs franchis in Toronto, be that 1980 or 2013. The value of the Maple Leafs in popularity and revenue both locally and internationally vastly exceeds that of both the Raptors and TFC, probably even if you combine them togeather. That would make them the "junior" partner under any definition I know...

imo it was an unnecessary cheap shot. I don't think any teams are junior property, just different assets.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
imo it was an unnecessary cheap shot. I don't think any teams are junior property, just different assets.

Under BC, in 7 years the Raptors have won 2 playoff games, 2.

TFC has not made the playoffs since they came into existence in a league were making the playoffs is really not that hard, the Seattle expansion team made it in the first year.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
I was hoping for a HUGE raptors collapse next season to get Andrew Wiggins, but BC had to go out and make a stupid *** trade to get Rudy Gay... He essentially did it to try and save his job and made the Raptors a treadmill team :facepalm: :shakehead

I know man, I know. The Raptors are beyond frustrating. This clown needs to go ASAP.

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
I like that this guy has had 2 GMs for the Kings since he's been there Taylor and Lombardi. He let Lombardi rebuild that team, and take his time.

Hopefully he lets someone blow up the Raps, that team has a GM spinning in circles since he go there. They had a perfect opportunity to blow everything up and start over after Bosh left but they didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad