Sportsnet: Tim Leiweke is the new President and CEO of MLSE.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't see why he can't come back if Fletcher came back for a second run then Burke should as well.

Perhaps in 20 years, not months later.

Fletchers preformance during his return isn't much of a selling point, he was beyond brutal.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
the first job by our new president is to fix the boards mistake and bring back Burke as the President of the Leafs and have him work side by side with Dave Nonis and the team he put in place. Burke and Leiweke are friends and even Tim consulted with Burke before he took the job. if the board doesn't like Burke, then Leiweke can be the buffer between them. Burke and Nonis built this team and they together should finish the job.

So Leiweke takes the job as CEO & President and his first order of business is to replace himself as President?. :help:

Leiweke reports to the MLSE Board of directors and as such is governed by their decisions as an employee of the organization.

It's time to move on from the past and look forward to the future ahead.

Darlotto99

Jul 23, 2010
Bolton, ON
So Leiweke takes the job as CEO & President and his first order of business is to replace himself as President?. :help:

Leiweke reports to the MLSE Board of directors and as such is governed by their decisions as an employee of the organization.

lol no the way it works is Leiweke is the President of MLSE just like Pedi was and under him their is a President and GM of the Leafs. unless the structure changes at MLSE. right now their is no President of the hockey club.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Unless I missed something I don't think he was hired as President of the Leafs. He would assume it since it's vacant and I would guess at some point will look to fill it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
lol no the way it works is Leiweke is the President of MLSE just like Pedi was and under him their is a President and GM of the Leafs.

Unless I missed something I don't think he was hired as President of the Leafs. He would assume it since it's vacant and I would guess at some point will look to fill it.

Leiweke is hockey knowledgeable and hands on and he is Nonis' new boss.

Based on his past history, it appears he will be involved in the Leafs direction by providing input into matters as he sees fit.

The future looks bright in Toronto as Bell\Rogers continues to move in a new direction.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Based on his past history, it appears he will be involved in the Leafs direction by providing input into matters as he sees fit.

The future looks bright in Toronto as Bell\Rogers continues to move in a new direction.

With the groundwork laid by Burke, how could it NOT look bright?

Darlotto99

Jul 23, 2010
Bolton, ON

by firing Burke its the wrong decition and it is the right direction because Burke assembled this team/front office. all Bell/Rogers did was come in like a fat kid with a jar of Nutella and sit and eat at the table Burke set. Rogers/Bell deserve no credit at all. Burke should still be the President enough said!

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I knew he was involved with the Kings but didn't realize he had a Hockey background. I thought he was more like Peddie, hockey background by association.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I knew he was involved with the Kings but didn't realize he had a Hockey background. I thought he was more like Peddie, hockey background by association.

Tim Leiweke tapped to lead Canadian sports conglomerate

Full Story: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0427-tim-leiweke-20130427,0,682801.story

Weeks after stepping down as head of Los Angeles entertainment heavyweight AEG, Tim Leiweke is named president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

Tim Leiweke, who helped improve Los Angeles' sporting fortunes and revive the city's once-woebegone downtown during his 17-year leadership of sports and entertainment giant AEG, on Friday was named president and chief executive of Toronto-based Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

"I'm very excited because it's about a platform that's even larger than what we started with at AEG," Leiweke told the Los Angeles Times. Leiweke said his duties will be similar to those he had at AEG, where he was a passionate and sometimes hands-on overseer of the MLS Galaxy and the Kingshttp://www.latimes.com/topic/sports/ice-hockey/los-angeles-kings-ORSPT000076.topic.

"They want to win, and so that's priority No. 1: build a long-term contender in hockey, basketball and soccer. And they have ambitions, and so we will grow, and that is a priority." The Kings and Galaxy won their respective league titles last season. "I feel very strongly about the success of the hockey team and the soccer team, and I would do nothing to ultimately put them in a difficult situation.

So my decision with Toronto was made in part because I don't mind competing for the Stanley Cup, but I don't want to be competing in L.A.". It's a challenge and it's one I'm excited about, and I couldn't be more thrilled about the city," Leiweke said.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Globe and Mail: A closer look at Tim Leiweke

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/a-closer-look-at-tim-leiweke/article11590800/

Tim Leiweke: Born April 21, 1957, in St. Louis, the fourth of six siblings. His younger brother, Tod, is the CEO of the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning.

Leiweke displayed early on an affinity toward what was to be his life’s calling, building a miniature baseball field in his backyard when he was 10, carving the baselines with a rake and using a dinner plate for home plate.

After high school, Leiweke worked at a deli and a bakery and attended college at night school, but never graduated.

1988 – The Minnesota Timberwolves expansion franchise is approved. Leiweke joins the organization as a vice-president and helped the team establish a new NBA attendance record, drawing over one million fans in its inaugural 1989-90 season.

1991 – At the urging of NBA commissioner David Stern, Leiweke takes the job of president with the Denver Nuggets, whose sagging attendance was quickly turned around. While in Denver, Leiweke helps negotiate the relocation of the NHL’s Quebec Nordiques to Colorado, while guiding the initial development and design of the Pepsi Center.

1995 – Leiweke becomes president/CEO of U.S. Skiing.

1996 – Leiweke is lured out to Los Angeles to become president of the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings.

2001 – Leiweke is named president/CEO of the team’s parent company, Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG). The company’s vast holdings include ownership of the Kings, Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer along with a 30-per-cent stake in the Los Angeles Lakers of the NBA.

During his 17-year run at AEG, Leiweke acquired or merged more than 50 divisions and companies in all aspects of the entertainment and sports world. He was responsible for the overall development of the Staples Center, the downtown showplace for major events and performances and the home of Lakers, Kings and Clippers.

Leiweke was key to overseeing L.A. LIVE, a four-million-square-foot sports, residential and entertainment district adjacent to Staples Center and the Convention Center.

The $2.5-billion (U.S.) development features Club Nokia, a 2,300 capacity live-music venue; Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE, a 7,100-seat live theatre; and a 54-story, 1,001-room convention “headquarters” destination, featuring Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott hotels, along with 224 luxury condominiums.

Before Leiweke left AEG last month, he was the driving force behind a $1.8-billion downtown stadium project geared toward luring the NFL back to Los Angeles.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

That basically reads "Peddie".

"Peddie took his position when the ownership groups of the Maple Leafs and Raptors merged in 1998 and agreed to share the Air Canada Centre. From there, a sprawling sports/real estate empire was built that now includes the hockey and basketball teams, Toronto FC soccer, the AHL Marlies, Maple Leaf Square condominiums, a world-class sports bar and management roles in facilities such as BMO Field, Ricoh Coliseum and the MasterCard Centre.

Many estimates have the company tripling its value to more than $1.5 billion under his watch."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad