Tim Gleason

Kessley Snipes*

He seemed like a competent, experienced veteran who didn't approach a normal regular season game like an adventure. I think we're sorely missing one more guy like that on the blueline and at least one full line of vets up front. If only to babysit the weaklings.

His personality is also kind of a nice change from all the frat boys who listen to Miley Cyrus who make up a sizable portion of the team...

Your emotional posting and obvious bias is just a joy to read

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Hopefully he is outgoing and won't shy away from telling people on the leafs to grow up and get their **** together.
Dion clearly doesn't do it, even on 24/7 not once did you see him pull someone aside and give them **** or give them advice all I remember is "Big goal Lupes, big goal". I don't even watch the freaking Bruins and I have seen Chara do more leadership type things in games against the Leafs than I have in Dion in EVERY game.

Sorry if I derailed it a bit with the rant, didnt want to hijack the thread but all I am saying is he looked good and he is known to be a hard player to play against and everyone else up and down the leafs line up is soft except for Jerry D'Amigo.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Phaneuf - XXXXXX
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
Gleason - Rielly

Get a top four already!

BluPuk*

I've only seen one game from Gleason and I couldn't watch most of it, but I don't see any thing impressive yet. The one thing I was hoping for was that he would at least attempt to keep the front of the net clear in our end. We need a tough, hard-nosed defenseman who will position himself between the other team's forward and the goalie. That way he can push the forward out of the way - control where he positions himself. I thought that's why they got Gleason.
The one time I saw this situation, Gleason was out in front of the Islanders forward, just like all the other defensemen we have. Adding to the screen. :shakehead

Dissappointing. :cry:

Mimico

Good Ol' Mimico Boy
Aug 25, 2013
Tarana, Ontario
I've only seen one game from Gleason and I couldn't watch most of it, but I don't see any thing impressive yet. The one thing I was hoping for was that he would at least attempt to keep the front of the net clear in our end. We need a tough, hard-nosed defenseman who will position himself between the other team's forward and the goalie. That way he can push the forward out of the way - control where he positions himself. I thought that's why they got Gleason.
The one time I saw this situation, Gleason was out in front of the Islanders forward, just like all the other defensemen we have. Adding to the screen. :shakehead

Dissappointing. :cry:

Gleason was the guy wearing #8 by the way

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I thought he played well. Mind you the only glaring problem from last night was Bernier. I'm hoping this is one of those cases where he'll play better in this kind of system. Beauchemin is remarkable under Carlyle and Boudreau but **** under Wilson sort of thing.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
If he can come back as the same player he used to be then our top 4 looks a lot better, with the obvious hole of 1 more quality 2nd pairing player. Ideally Gardiner/Reilly step into that role. I don't see a future with Franson anymore and I like Ranger's game lately making him a respectable option on the 3rd. When Franson and Fraser walk, hopefully we can see one of the marlies come up and see some 3rd pairing minutes. You know like Holzer but without the 1st line assignments. Probably too much to ask from Carlyle

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Hopefully he is outgoing and won't shy away from telling people on the leafs to grow up and get their **** together.
Dion clearly doesn't do it, even on 24/7 not once did you see him pull someone aside and give them **** or give them advice all I remember is "Big goal Lupes, big goal". I don't even watch the freaking Bruins and I have seen Chara do more leadership type things in games against the Leafs than I have in Dion in EVERY game.

Sorry if I derailed it a bit with the rant, didnt want to hijack the thread but all I am saying is he looked good and he is known to be a hard player to play against and everyone else up and down the leafs line up is soft except for Jerry D'Amigo.

You really think HBO will be allowed to do record that part? I am pretty sure every single guy in both locker rooms really didn't want to do anything controversial. Imagine being a player that got told in the locker room and it appeared on cameras. Worse than Ryan got treated for his omission.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

First bolded - Ever consider that more happened in those 4 or 5 weeks than just the 30 minutes or so of screen time that Dion got? :help:

Second bolded - Any examples of these "leadership type things" or just more generalities based on personal bias?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

oh he does, but if LeafLand knew that for sure or saw it, they'd be calling for Phaneufs head because he'd be accused of throwing those guys "under the bus":laugh:

Ace88*

Solid defenseman who doesn't make many mistakes, but like every other defenseman in leaf history, the moment he makes one gaff the fans will unjustly turn on him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As a Canes fan, I watched the game and thought Gleason played about as well as can be expected for a first game with a new team. Played conservatively and did his job.

If I read it right, one poster was hoping he was outgoing and verbal with regards to other players. He was never that way in Carolina. He always said he preferred to lead by example and didn't do a lot of talking, so I wouldn't expect him to be overly verbose in the locker room even after he becomes more comfortable.

Gleason has never been accused of not trying or not giving it his all so you will get effort from him. He isn't afraid to block shots but he did get into the habit of at times trying to block shots too close to the goalie and ended up actually screening the goalie. In fairness, last year the Canes defense was an unmitigated mess (with Pitkanen injured, they had guys like Corvo, Sanguinetti, McBain and MAB in the line-up regularly). Faulk, Gleason and Harrison were the only competent/semi-competent defensemen. :help:

His best year was when he was paired with Bryan Allen a couple of years ago. Neither guy were great skaters, but the Canes started them almost exclusively in the defensive zone (almost 70%) and they took on the toughest assignments and did a lot of PK. It worked to their advantage (experienced, physical players that could clear the crease) and reduced the impact of their disadvantages (skating).

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usag...el&yAxis=relQoc&update-filters=Update+Results

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
in the east his foot speed might not be as big of an issue.
he was able to stop JT on that one breakout, recognized the break down got in to position and then knocked the puck away.

his size and experience were great and I was pleasantly surprised

mcfifty

Dec 29, 2013
From the 1 game, I thought he played a simple and positionally solid game. I like it, and wish more of our D played solid positionally like he seemed to. He broke up a few plays, and didn't seem to get caught out of position. Rough game to be a part of for your first though, lol.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Regehr a few short years ago was basically given away by the Flames.

Now at 33 he's a top 4 close 20 minute a night Dman who works great on Sutter.

I could Gleason see who's very comparable to Regehr doing the exact same thing for us. Coaches like Carlyle and Sutter get a lot out of Dmen like Gleason and Regehr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad