Tim Gleason

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
Never was really a fan... Too slow imo and can barely shoot the puck it looks like.
Yeah he can block shots but his decision making is so poor some nights it leave me scratching my head. With all of that being said, he's the least of worries, guys like Franson are 10X worse in every facet of defensive play its embarrassing.

His contract is absolutely terrible, but that's Nonis' fault for bringing the guy in when he chose not to buy out komisarek (who had one year left on his deal) instead of liles... This was all too make room for david clarkson btw.... sigh

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
In the beginning fans loved this guy but I don't see anyone talking about him now, it is like he is invisible for the last month.

What's your verdict on him as a player?

Usually invisible defenseman mean they are doing there job and nothing more. There is nothing wrong with that and he should be a steady player on the blueline next year. I was actually having a conversation with my girlfriend earlier about this. Rielly for example at the beginning of the year was noticeable for his mistakes, then he went invisible because he wasn't making many mistakes and how he is noticeable because hes making great play after great play.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Under a better defensive system Gleason can be better. 4M for 2 years is not going to kill this team. Hope he bounces back. Can still be a solid 5 or 6 guy.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
In the beginning fans loved this guy but I don't see anyone talking about him now, it is like he is invisible for the last month.

What's your verdict on him as a player?

I would argue that in leaf land , when a player "goes invisible" that's a sign that he is doing what is expected of him, no more, no less. Kinda like Gunner.

I think I need to see more of him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
His game really fell off the wheels lately. Everything looked so promising earlier.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
He's been dreadful post-Olympics. At least Randy took note and limited his minutes. I think he's probably gotten worse since he's been here. He was surprisingly efffective when he first came over, but that's rarely the case now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Under a better defensive system Gleason can be better. 4M for 2 years is not going to kill this team. Hope he bounces back. Can still be a solid 5 or 6 guy.

Gleason can be a 4, he is the least of our worries

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Having Gleason in the playoffs is going to be awesome.

st5.gif

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He's been dreadful post-Olympics. At least Randy took note and limited his minutes. I think he's probably gotten worse since he's been here. He was surprisingly efffective when he first came over, but that's rarely the case now.

He finished learning the Leafs system.

Honest to god, I'm pretty sure this is how it went. He was a full 100% effort every shift kind of D-man when he first came here. That slowly started fading away. He still does work his ass off to win battles down low, but the dog-****ing fowards will never give him any puck-support. I honestly think he just started saying "**** it, why am I even still trying." with this team. I do not blame him one single bit either. Why should he work his ass off when nobody else on the team is?

If you're at a job where everyone ****s the dog and barely gets anything done with no repercussions from the boss, are you going to work hard? 99% of the time, probaby not. Especially in a hockey players' case where the money is already in the bank.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He finished learning the Leafs system.

Honest to god, I'm pretty sure this is how it went. He was a full 100% effort every shift kind of D-man when he first came here. That slowly started fading away. He still does work his ass off to win battles down low, but the dog-****ing fowards will never give him any puck-support. I honestly think he just started saying "**** it, why am I even still trying." with this team. I do not blame him one single bit either. Why should he work his ass off when nobody else on the team is?

If you're at a job where everyone ****s the dog and barely gets anything done with no repercussions from the boss, are you going to work hard? 99% of the time, probaby not. Especially in a hockey players' case where the money is already in the bank.

It's called "conforming to the norm" it's actually an inherent survival instinct.

Do you think he would conform differently in say Bostons locker room?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's called "conforming to the norm" it's actually an inherent survival instinct.

Do you think he would conform differently in say Bostons locker room?

Wiser claps. This team literally has blue and white disease and I think it rode in this year on a Devil.

Clarkson drags this team down.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Gleason was a salary dump for a reason. He has his strengths, but he's slow and struggles to keep up with the play. $4 million is a lot to pay for a bottom pairing dman that needs his minutes/match ups to be sheltered.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There's worse contracts on this team.

Also - he's showed value at times while he has been here. Under a decent defensively structured team, he can be an asset still, and as already mentioned, his contract isn't too bad at 4 x 2.

He's also got bags of experience, which is pretty important for guys like Gardiner, Rielly, and potentially any of the Marlies that try and make this team next season.

In short - there's enough reasons to keep Gleason around in a bottom pairing / 7th Dman role.

Would rather have him than Liles, to be honest.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
A $4 million #7 D. Great.

Gleason is garbage, he'll still be here next year because he's slow and dumb, has no offensive ability and isn't very good defensively either. Maybe if Nonis is lucky he can con some clueless GM into taking him but I doubt it.

I at least thought he could skate decently, but nope. Whatever ability he had before his injuries is gone. I like the idea of Gleason as a reliable, decent skating, hard-hitting mid-pairing D but the reality is quite different.

Tyler Biggs*

I don't see how Gleason would possibly get bought out, he was more stable than any other Leafs d-man last year, provides toughness and leadership that they otherwise lack, and is a warrior in every sense of the word. If anything, he's alternate captain material on a team that has little to no leadership.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wouldn't mind if a team would take him off our hands, but he is ok as a 6th D man for us. A bit expensive but not a big deal for only 2 more years.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He mixed good with bad performances but he is still a solid veteran and only signed for 2 more years, dont really care about the cap hit with that term.

And he can play with grit and toughness. ;)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I wouldn't mind if a team would take him off our hands, but he is ok as a 6th D man for us. A bit expensive but not a big deal for only 2 more years.

Gleason is a 4D, honestly no jokes he is good but fell into the herd and system after 20 games and went down hill. It's the trainers the asst coaches all that. He really is good and would like if he could prove that and then we trade him after he is hot.

I like Gleason better than Dion an I don't hate Dion at all.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I seriously doubt half you guys ever laced up the skates and in some cases even turned on the TV , Gleason is a solid player and was most effective when paired with Ranger another solid player , neither of them was stellar when paired with the kids because the kids don't play to the system and Reilly can't play D at all he's too small when it comes to banging and doesn't win puck battles in the corner , if this team is going to have any D at all they need to keep these 2 together . Gardner is starting to learn how to play D at this level and at least he can throw his weight some and win some of the battles in the corner , put Gards with Gunner send Reilly down to mature and we all know what to do with the Pylon and Franson- free up 12 mil in cap space to buy their replacements with .

Kyle Doobas*

He mixed good with bad performances but he is still a solid veteran and only signed for 2 more years, dont really care about the cap hit with that term.

And he can play with grit and toughness. ;)

Now if we could just get Shanahan to do that to some of our other players, we'd be in business.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I don't see how Gleason would possibly get bought out, he was more stable than any other Leafs d-man last year, provides toughness and leadership that they otherwise lack, and is a warrior in every sense of the word. If anything, he's alternate captain material on a team that has little to no leadership.

Jebus

You consider a salary dump from Carolina that would only see ice time on a d core as bad as the leafs as alternative captain material?

I'm speechless.

Tyler Biggs*

Gleason thank you for what you did hopefully some of it was installed in the youth of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad