Tribute Tim Connolly

member 311261

Connolly getting concussed against Ottawa stands right next to wide right as the saddest moments in Buffalo sports history. If that never happens, we win the cup and he goes on to be a legend.

Wish there was a double like for this. When Sabres were at their best ever, he was their best player.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
First off f*** off Schaefer that was a elbow to the head and should have been a major and a 10 game suspension at least.

Same here. I thought once he came back after that long concussion that he'd bring them to a cup. Unfortunately, he was never the same afterwards.

The scary thing is even after that concussion when the co caps left he put up 194 points in 237 games. Thats 67 points a season. And how did we treat him and Roy here? We ran them out of town crying how Buffalo would never go anywhere if THOSE were our top 6 centers. Then when Ennis and Hodgson were the top 6 centers then we cried at ourselves because of how awful those 2 were compared to Roy and Connolly.

Roy and Connolly were 2 players treated VERY unfairly at the end. I remember the day of the Roy trade Dope and the Lapdog were crying tears of joy we got Ott. I still think if Roy and Connolly both stayed another year or two we could have been a playoff contender in 11-12 and 12-13. I know Roy was here in 11-12 and he put up a respectable 44 points and we picked 12th.Their careers fell off but if they stayed I think they both would have remained 50 point players those 2 years.

We missed the playoffs by what 3 points in 11-12? If we had Connolly still we make it.Ennis missed 34 games and we had no 2c that year. If Connolly was still around we would have had another top 9 center still. Tim still put up 36 points that year for Toronto in 70. So still a .5 ppg that year. Yeah add that to the 11-12 Sabres we finish with 95 points not 89. Tims 36 points would have been 5th on that Sabre team...last squad that was still respectable.

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I wish Mitts was the new Connolly. At his peak Connolly was quite possibly one of the top 5 centers in the league.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wish Mitts was the new Connolly. At his peak Connolly was quite possibly one of the top 5 centers in the league.
This implies Mittlestadt was ever actually good.

Connolly was a no doubt top 10 player in the game if injuries didn’t happen.

The bolded isn’t remotely true. What are you basing that on?

Any comparisons with Mitts would probably be fairest if comparing the same point of development. Mitts is in his D+5 season. At that point Connolly was playing in Europe during the lockout after 4 mediocre NHL seasons. He had his break out season in his D+6 year.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The bolded isn’t remotely true. What are you basing that on?

Any comparisons with Mitts would probably be fairest if comparing the same point of development. Mitts is in his D+5 season. At that point Connolly was playing in Europe during the lockout after had 4 mediocre NHL seasons. He had his break out season in his D+6 year.

I think Tim's raw skillset was that of a top 10 player in the league. But he as a player, was not a top 10 player. He's one of the biggest waste of talents I've seen in the league. At his peak performances, he could dominate and control a game. But he was way too inconsistent and had too many "distractions" (if the rumors are correct) that didn't allow him to do so to be considered a top player in the league. Those players bring that skill and will night to night.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think Tim's raw skillset was that of a top 10 player in the league. But he as a player, was not a top 10 player. He's one of the biggest waste of talents I've seen in the league. At his peak performances, he could dominate and control a game. But he was way too inconsistent and had too many "distractions" (if the rumors are correct) that didn't allow him to do so to be considered a top player in the league. Those players bring that skill and will night to night.
He was very talented but not on that level.

Reactions: Vito_81

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He was very talented but not on that level.

Well, sort of agree. A healthy Connolly in 2005-06 puts up about 75 points. Same in 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10. That's ~top 25 in scoring each season. If he's able to average that, with the "distractions" we think we know about, I can only imagine what he'd be like with some focus.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Well, sort of agree. A healthy Connolly in 2005-06 puts up about 75 points. Same in 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10. That's ~top 25 in scoring each season. If he's able to average that, with the "distractions" we think we know about, I can only imagine what he'd be like with some focus.

In 05-06 Connolly was on pace for 72pts (71.5 to be exact). That would have him at 44th in the league. He also did that as our secondary scoring center for the bulk of the season.

Oddly enough Derek Roy did play 3 full seasons as our #1 center after the co-captains left. He averaged 8ogms/73pts a year over those 3 years. Then he had his own injury issues impacted. No one would consider him a top 5 or top 10 player in the NHL based on that. So I’m not sure why Connolly should get that designation for something he might have done if healthy. We also know Roy was hardly avoiding fun in his off time either.

The “dominant Connolly” existed for a very brief period during 05-06 playoffs before getting hurt. He was very good but was also doing it in sheltered role. The Hecht/Briere/Dumont line did the heavy lifting offensively and Roy/Drury/Grier did it defensively.

If Connolly was actually a our top center facing the toughest matchups AND had done what he did in those 7 playoff games over the course of a season (or even half a season). Then we could possibly talk about him being a top player in the game. But he never came close to doing something like that. Its a pretty big leap from what Connolly was to being one of the best in the game. The guy who did play at that level was Briere.

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Before the Schaefer hit were the five NHL centers you would have traded Connolly for? You had a player who was realizing his massive potential, an ungodly skillset, PK and PP, he was headed to the freaking moon.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
In 05-06 Connolly was on pace for 72pts (71.5 to be exact). That would have him at 44th in the league. He also did that as our secondary scoring center for the bulk of the season.

Oddly enough Derek Roy did play 3 full seasons as our #1 center after the co-captains left. He averaged 8ogms/73pts a year over those 3 years. Then he had his own injury issues impacted. No one would consider him a top 5 or top 10 player in the NHL based on that. So I’m not sure why Connolly should get that designation for something he might have done if healthy. We also know Roy was hardly avoiding fun in his off time either.

The “dominant Connolly” existed for a very brief period during 05-06 playoffs before getting hurt. He was very good but was also doing it in sheltered role. The Hecht/Briere/Dumont line did the heavy lifting offensively and Roy/Drury/Grier did it defensively.

If Connolly was actually a our top center facing the toughest matchups AND had done what he did in those 7 playoff games over the course of a season (or even half a season). Then we could possibly talk about him being a top player in the game. But he never came close to doing something like that. Its a pretty big leap from what Connolly was to being one of the best in the game. The guy who did play at that level was Briere.

I think you’re missing a huge point in the argument. Connolly did all that while reportedly being incredibly distracted off ice. The idea I was supporting was a healthy, focused Connolly. The guy was dominant for short stretches, and I think we all know why those stretches were short. Imagine if he was able to extend that type of play to a season? Or seasons?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Had it not been for injuries I don't even know if Connolly makes the Sabres all-time top 10 let alone the league top 10...Talented but now where near that kind of player.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Had it not been for injuries I don't even know if Connolly makes the Sabres all-time top 10 let alone the league top 10...Talented but now where near that kind of player.

The nasty concussion he got early in his career maybe derailed some development, but I also think his hands were so good that he kinda gets a halo effect when viewed in hindsight. I can remember a lot more Connolly plays than Briere ones, but I know who scored more points.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad