Tribute Tim Connolly

member 311261

My favorite player from 05-06.

Same here. I thought once he came back after that long concussion that he'd bring them to a cup. Unfortunately, he was never the same afterwards.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
He would be better than what we've been rostering as a second line center. Which makes me cringe. Connolly was a terrible defensive player and while his offense was high, it was as inconsistent as it comes. I wasn't a fan then, and I'm not one now. Give me a tribute to a player who wasn't as soft as a newly christened babies bottom.

Reactions: Sansbacon

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
His hands were otherworldly. Played with him in a summer beer league for pros and college players. What he could do against mere mortals was criminal.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The opening goal Connolly scored in game 5 vs. Philly might be my favorite of that whole playoff run just because of how casually he walked in from the blue line to the high slot. I still remember the 3 or 4 Flyers players all backing off because they knew they'd get deked out of their pants if they stepped up. And then Connolly wired it top shelf on Esche anyway.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Wish he had done this as a Sabre but it's still great.

solid throw, that.

weren’t there rumors about TC’s off-ice habits while in Buffalo? I suppose we’re not supposed to speculate, I just remember hearing his focus was more on the nightlife/bars and it made me kinda sad, never knew if that was accurate or just conjecture though.

anyways, amazing player, I’m just glad he was back and healthy long enough to show us the player he was capable of being- I still remember that second big concussion, the one where he got rocked at the blue line by a Sens player and I just thought- f***, he’s done, seasons done- just one of the saddest hits I’ve seen live.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
solid throw, that.

weren’t there rumors about TC’s off-ice habits while in Buffalo? I suppose we’re not supposed to speculate, I just remember hearing his focus was more on the nightlife/bars and it made me kinda sad, never knew if that was accurate or just conjecture though.

I ran into him in the day out at Jack Astors at Galleria Mall in Buffalo (Cheektowaga) a couple times. I can't account for how he was later on either night, but he conducted himself as most people do when out for a drink and socialization, from my conversations with him, and my observation of his behavior.

I've certainly observed members of the Bills who were further into the bottle than was TC, and I don't remember them being talked about.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
My all-time favorite player! He's the reason I really got into hockey and I tried to model my game after him (didn't work out nearly as well). The thing about TC that always irritates me is that people say he was "heartless". I don't understand that. He was our best two way forward (other than maybe Hecht) when on the ice after Briere and Drury left. He was incredible on the PK. He was the only guy on a really cowardly roster around 2010 who went after Scott Gomez after he ran Miller. These things stand out to me because it's ridiculous to call him soft just because he was injury-prone.

In addition to all of that, I think that had he not been concussed by Schaefer in the 06 playoffs, he was on his way to a Conn Smythe finish.

Anyways, thanks for posting this! I think Connolly is the most underappreciated post-lockout Sabre and the hurdles he went through to stay on the ice should not be a testament to his character as a player.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I ran into him in the day out at Jack Astors at Galleria Mall in Buffalo (Cheektowaga) a couple times. I can't account for how he was later on either night, but he conducted himself as most people do when out for a drink and socialization, from my conversations with him, and my observation of his behavior.

I've certainly observed members of the Bills who were further into the bottle than was TC, and I don't remember them being talked about.

Imagine if social media existed during the Bills Super Bowl era. :laugh:

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
solid throw, that.

anyways, amazing player, I’m just glad he was back and healthy long enough to show us the player he was capable of being- I still remember that second big concussion, the one where he got rocked at the blue line by a Sens player and I just thought- f***, he’s done, seasons done- just one of the saddest hits I’ve seen live.

I think that whole squad had rumors around their nightlife habits. There are pictures somewhere out there if you Google long enough of Derek Roy passed out at a few bars and I know Miller was a regular at Mr. Goodbar along with Stafford. Connolly seemed to keep a low profile in terms of social media posts about him but I'm sure that he was a part of it. That's the hard part about being in a smaller market. Those guys were superstars in the city around 05-08. They were more famous in Buffalo than the Bills players. It's hard not to get noticed when you go out in that type of environment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad