Tim Connolly on waivers: Any interest?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Again, Connolly's contract is done after this season, there should be no "tagging" issues as Connolly's deal has no impact on the Canucks cap next season.

We still won't have enough cap room when Booth and Kesler are off the LTIR and due to the new system for cap hit retention for AHL players he would put us above the cap.

The only way is to come up with a trade where the Leafs keep at least $1m of his salary or more.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
As much as we are hurting, two issues...

1) What to do in the salary world when Kesler and/or Booth are healthy. It would become a situation where someone's salary would need to be jettisoned; I know the Aquilinis have been OK with burying some salary in the minors before, but how happy would they be eating $4.25m? And does Connolly have an NMC? (I honestly don't know)

2) I really think it's time to give Schroeder an opportunity at this level. Connolly is not such a clear cut legitimate top-six NHLer at this point in his career that I would be willing to say "ok, put Schroeder off because this guy is the real deal".

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
We still won't have enough cap room when Booth and Kesler are off the LTIR and due to the new system for cap hit retention for AHL players he would put us above the cap.

The only way is to come up with a trade where the Leafs keep at least $1m of his salary or more.

If you read my first post in here, I said I'd be in favour of waiting for him to clear and working a deal where the Leafs keep some salary/cap.

I also believe that it all depends on how long both Booth and Kesler are out for. Unfortunately capgeek.com doesn't have an IR calculator lol.

Don't forget that we have the cap wizard, Lawrence Gillman.

I'd put a claim in on Mike Santorelli though.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
What to do in the salary world when Kesler and/or Booth are healthy. It would become a situation where someone's salary would need to be jettisoned; I know the Aquilinis have been OK with burying some salary in the minors before, but how happy would they be eating $4.25m? And does Connolly have an NMC? (I honestly don't know).

Can only bury $900k due to the new CBA so even if you bury him, we're still over the cap. Unless I'm missing something... (and I feel like I might be)

I also believe that it all depends on how long both Booth and Kesler are out for. Unfortunately capgeek.com doesn't have an IR calculator lol.

If he's on our team then we're over the cap (only under using LTIR) and I don't believe we would be able to stockpile any cap room.

I'd put a claim in on Mike Santorelli though.

I'm guessing he gets grabbed by somebody else. Decent player. But yeah, I would take him.

craigcaulks*

1) What to do in the salary world when Kesler and/or Booth are healthy. It would become a situation where someone's salary would need to be jettisoned; I know the Aquilinis have been OK with burying some salary in the minors before, but how happy would they be eating $4.25m? And does Connolly have an NMC? (I honestly don't know)

2) I really think it's time to give Schroeder an opportunity at this level. Connolly is not such a clear cut legitimate top-six NHLer at this point in his career that I would be willing to say "ok, put Schroeder off because this guy is the real deal".

We can't bury salary.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Can only bury $900k due to the new CBA so even if you bury him, we're still over the cap. Unless I'm missing something... (and I feel like I might be)

If he's on our team then we're over the cap (only under using LTIR) and I don't believe we would be able to stockpile any cap room.

I'm guessing he gets grabbed by somebody else. Decent player. But yeah, I would take him.

As far as I know, every day a player is on the LTIR (30 day minimum) his alotted cap hit for that day comes off the books.

Booth's/Kesler's combined daily cap hit is larger than Connolly's so I think there is a certain situation in number of days that would allow the Canucks to get Connolly at his full price without any cap issues. I'm not cap wizard though so I'll leave that up to Lawrence Gillman.

This is all pure guess work from a fan with only second hand knowledge of the CBA though lol.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
We all know Burke was fired because he's Burke but I wonder if the final straw was the board not wanting Luongo and he did in order to make the playoffs. We all assumed they wanted Luongo but what if the board was on the other end of the fence. Maybe Burke being fired actually killed the deal.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

As mentioned under the new CBA any player with a salary over $900k on a player in the minors counts towards the cap.

If Connolly was put in the minors he's still a $4.75 mil cap hit.

craigcaulks*

As far as I know, every day a player is on the LTIR (30 day minimum) his alotted cap hit for that day comes off the books.

Booth's/Kesler's combined daily cap hit is larger than Connolly's so I think there is a certain situation in number of days that would allow the Canucks to get Connolly at his full price without any cap issues. I'm not cap wizard though so I'll leave that up to Lawrence Gillman.

This is all pure guess work from a fan with only second hand knowledge of the CBA though lol.

Unless there have been significant changes to LTIR then this is exactly how it does not work. LTIR allows you to go OVER the cap, you do not get cap credit for being injured.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
We could only afford Connolly if Toronto trades him to us and they keep $2 mil of his cap hit.
Once Kesler and Booth come back, we'll have ~200k in cap space (once Ebbett and Volpatti are sent down)

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Mason Raymond ($2.275m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Tim Connolly ($2.750m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Cam Barker ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,018,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $181,667

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Well, they could always get someone to accidentally smack him in the head when Kesler is ready to go.

I'd take him in a retained salary deal. But at $4.75 million, he's just not worth the loss of flexibility. I'd rather the team take a stab with Gomez.

You stole my thoughts. Injury risk (though not as big a deal for a cap team), but also in his earlier seasons a good PP producer. Having a center to anchor the 2nd unit PP would still be something I'd like to see the Canucks do.

It would have to be a bargain though.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
For a guy who was supposedly the guy in control of most if the GMing aspects of the Leafs under Burke, Nonis sure is rapidly getting rid of an awful lot of mistakes he made.

Of course if the real truth was that he was truly an assistant GM who only provided input and made no real decisions so Lombardi and Connolly make perfect sense.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Thanks for pointing out my error on burying salary - it makes even less sense to try and pursue him, then. It would handcuff us with respect to the cap when Kesler/Booth are ready to return.

I'd pass.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
For a guy who was supposedly the guy in control of most if the GMing aspects of the Leafs under Burke, Nonis sure is rapidly getting rid of an awful lot of mistakes he made.

Of course if the real truth was that he was truly an assistant GM who only provided input and made no real decisions so Lombardi and Connolly make perfect sense.
Might be the case (would explain why the Leafs never claimed Grabner for free off of waivers).

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yes, I think Connolly would be a great fit. Salary is only an issue when Booth and Kesler both are back and if the Luongo situation isn't taken care of.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If he doesn't get claimed, I'd trade a 3rd round pick for Connolly as long as the Leafs ate half of his contract.

$2.375 mil cap hit for a guy who can play center and wing, and in the top 6.
He could actually mesh well with Kesler and Booth (once they're back) since he's a playmaker.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Connolly would be a good stop-gap for the 2nd line while Kesler's out... but beyond that? Connolly on the 3rd or 4th lines? Blech no thanks. Way too soft.

Not to mention salary concerns. For those reasons, I'm in agreement with the people who want Gomez.

Although I suppose with Connolly's history, what would end up happening is he would get hurt just in time for Kesler's return, thereby eliminating any cap concerns

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Connolly would be a good stop-gap for the 2nd line while Kesler's out... but beyond that? Connolly on the 3rd or 4th lines? Blech no thanks. Way too soft.

Not to mention salary concerns. For those reasons, I'm in agreement with the people who want Gomez.

Although I suppose with Connolly's history, what would end up happening is he would get hurt just in time for Kesler's return, thereby eliminating any cap concerns

I believe Connolly can also play the wing. He wouldn't be the worst third wheel on a line with Kesler and Booth.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I believe Connolly can also play the wing. He wouldn't be the worst third wheel on a line with Kesler and Booth.

No, you're right. As a winger, he would be far from the worst addition to that line.

Connolly's got great hands, it would be interesting to see how he would gel with two guys with tunnel vision that crash the net.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Connelly has great skill, but he is to injury prone to play in the NHL any more. One hit and its over for this guy.

We should look at Leland Irving for the farm or for a backup possibility. Or perhaps even Steve Vellieux for grit depth. If players go down before the playoffs to injury, it will save us picks at the deadline for similar players.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Connelly has great skill, but he is to injury prone to play in the NHL any more. One hit and its over for this guy.

We should look at Leland Irving for the farm or for a backup possibility. Or perhaps even Steve Vellieux for grit depth. If players go down before the playoffs to injury, it will save us picks at the deadline for similar players.

Leland Irving was benched by the Heat for over a month, came back against the Wolves last week and got pulled after 3 goals against in 9 minutes...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I wouldn't touch Irving. He's been pretty bad in the AHL this year.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Leland Irving was benched by the Heat for over a month, came back against the Wolves last week and got pulled after 3 goals against in 9 minutes...
No room for him in Chicago either. Don't want him as a backup in the NHL (better to have an NHL vet in that spot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad