Tim Connolly on waivers: Any interest?

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Sounds like Connolly will be placed on waivers later today.

Should the Canucks have the slightest bit of interest? Overpaid, underachieving, injury-prone players are maybe not what this team needs. But he does have some offensive pedigree, and is in the last year of his deal.

I tend to think not, but does anybody think he could be worth a look for some depth in our top 9?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Even if we had interest, we can't afford him. Would have to deal Luongo in the next 24 hours. That said, we shouldn't have any interest.

Even if we could make it work with LTIR and some creative cap magic, since teams have to stay compliant for all future seasons too and the cap for next year's season is already known it would also give us trouble re-signing Edler before the season is over.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Even if we had interest, we can't afford him. Would have to deal Luongo in the next 24 hours. That said, we shouldn't have any interest.

Even if we could make it work with LTIR and some creative cap magic, since teams have to stay compliant for all future seasons too and the cap for next year's season is already known it would also give us trouble re-signing Edler before the season is over.

Good point. I'm still in lockout mode, I think, and hadn't realized we're right up against the cap already.

More to the point, if the Leafs are dumping Lombardi and Connolly, how likely are they to be trading Bozak/Kadri in a potential Luongo deal?

arsmaster*

Listening to the team.

Ray Ferraro thinks we do.

Botch still pumping the tires on Kadri and Bozak deal, scared it's fallen apart since Connolly's been place on waivers and Lombardi being moved.

There is a reason I took an 8 month hiatus from this station.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Moreso than Gomez - Booth could go on LTIR to make space.

Say goodbye to Edler because we won't have the cap space to re-sign him without dealing Luongo. So we acquire a marginal player which either costs us Edler or forces us to trade Luongo sooner than Gillis wants to.

Edit: And ignore me...

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Listening to the team.

Botch still pumping the tires on Kadri and Bozak deal, scared it's fallen apart since Connolly's been place on waivers and Lombardi being moved.

Botch actually doesn't like the deal, he thinks the Canucks should get more.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Just no. Lazy, in bad condition, horrible defensively, injury prone, softer than butter. Good hands but otherwise nothing but a joke of a hockey player.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
More to the point, if the Leafs are dumping Lombardi and Connolly, how likely are they to be trading Bozak/Kadri in a potential Luongo deal?
That'll depend if anybody actually makes a claim for Connolly. No guarantees a GM will want him even for free because of the negatives you listed. Leafs could be right back where they started if there's no takers. Yotes only wanted Lombardi because the Leafs were willing to still pay a large portion of his salary (and cap hit).

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
None at all. The role is Schroeder's to lose. Not necessarily a great outcome for the team, but we have to see what he can do at the NHL level.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Leafs fans were pressing us for how long to trade Lu for a guy who's about to be waived? Lol.

arsmaster*

Just no. Lazy, in bad condition, horrible defensively, injury prone, softer than butter. Good hands but otherwise nothing but a joke of a hockey player.

An older, taller, balder Kadri???

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
LESS-THAN-ZERO.jpg

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Say goodbye to Edler because we won't have the cap space to re-sign him without dealing Luongo. So we acquire a marginal player which either costs us Edler or forces us to trade Luongo sooner than Gillis wants to.

How? Connolly's contract is up at the end of the season and Edler's extension won't kick in until next year. (Honest question, I'm guessing there is some rule I am missing).

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
How? Connolly's contract is up at the end of the season and Edler's extension won't kick in until next year. (Honest question, I'm guessing there is some rule I am missing).

You are correct, I got confused about the years on capgeek. Still living in 2012 apparently. :(

Still LTIR only helps you until Booth and Kesler are back. When they're back you can't just send him down and lose his cap hit due to the new rules. So we would have to trade Luongo or Ballard before that happens. Unless I'm missing something.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks only really have space to take back a player at about $3 mil unless they move Luongo.

If Connolly gets bought out and is dirt cheap then maybe? I'd still rather Gomez as filler, who has played in the area and has a cup.

arsmaster*

Do you think Toronto wants to buy him out? Or just get him down to the AHL.

Amnesty buyout helps them.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Listening to the team.

Botchford is an idiot. Everytime he's on That's Hockey I want to punch my TV. His face pisses me off. How does someone so ridiculously dumb get to work on air.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Do you think Toronto wants to buy him out? Or just get him down to the AHL.

Amnesty buyout helps them.

If he clears waivers, then they're going to try to trade him (while retaining some of his contract like they did with Lombardi).

Even if they use the buyout on him now, they'll get $3,850,000 cap penalty for this season.
The whole reason for using a buyout now is because teams were telling players to stay home so they wouldn't get injured. Injured players cant be bought out, so they would be screwed in the off-season.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
If he clears waivers, then they're going to try to trade him (while retaining some of his contract like they did with Lombardi).

Even if they use the buyout on him now, they'll get $3,850,000 cap penalty for this season.
The whole reason for using a buyout now is because teams were telling players to stay home so they wouldn't get injured. Injured players cant be bought out, so they would be screwed in the off-season.

... So why put him on waivers?

arsmaster*

They have a ton of cap room. No need to buy him out.

Unless they're bringing in someone with a decent sized cap hit I'm not sure why they'd bother? Connolly's contract is up after this season.

Saves them money as well as severs ties with the player.

They have tons of space yes, I know.

But why even waive him? He really couldn't help the NHL roster at all? Might as well end the misery, they get two buyouts...who else is a candidate? Komisarek.

Pay him a pro-rated $3 million and keep his lazy ass away from your prospects. I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->