Tim Connolly on waivers: Any interest?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
No room on the farm? Thought Lack was injured?

I may be wrong, but I thought if you claim someone off waivers you had to keep them in the NHL for the whole season.

So Irving would have to be on the Canucks for the full season, which isn't a good idea.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I may be wrong, but I thought if you claim someone off waivers you had to keep them in the NHL for the whole season.

So Irving would have to be on the Canucks for the full season, which isn't a good idea.

No, but if the team claiming him wants to send him to the AHL he has to clear waivers. At least that was how it worked in the old CBA.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
As mentioned under the new CBA any player with a salary over $900k on a player in the minors counts towards the cap.

If Connolly was put in the minors he's still a $4.75 mil cap hit.

So given that, what are the chances that the Leafs just buy him out after he clears waivers - just like we've seen with Gomez and Redden?

If the Leafs carry his cap hit, while sitting him in the minors, why would they pay the extra money, keep the cap hit, and have a veteran that has no future with that organization playing in their system?

And if Connolly gets bought out, then I'd take a chance on him the same way I would with Gomez - either one of those guys signed on a cheap 1yr deal gives this team much needed depth down the middle this season.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
At some point we're going to have to what everyone else does and give one of our younger players a good shot.

Developing a young guy who suddenly steps in and produces on a cheap contract is a key to success in today's NHL.

Pass and go with Shroeder.

But if we're going to play Ebbett...well different story. But then you might as well have Gomez, no?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
So given that, what are the chances that the Leafs just buy him out after he clears waivers - just like we've seen with Gomez and Redden?

If the Leafs carry his cap hit, while sitting him in the minors, why would they pay the extra money, keep the cap hit, and have a veteran that has no future with that organization playing in their system?

And if Connolly gets bought out, then I'd take a chance on him the same way I would with Gomez - either one of those guys signed on a cheap 1yr deal gives this team much needed depth down the middle this season.

Why buy him out when you can have him as insurance and a mentor in the AHL? There's really no reason for them to buy him out. (Not to mention I'm not sure if the amnesty buy outs are even possible for contracts expiring this year.)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

No reason to buy him out.

ASSETS BUYOUT
+ gain one contract
- same cap hit as AHL
- same dollars as AHL
- lose one amnesty buyout ( one a team with Komisarek, you want a spare)

The only thing they gain through buyout is one contract spot, but they lose one amnesty buyout and lose the ability to recall him in emergencies.

He could fetch a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline with half his salary eaten by Toronto. No reason to use an amnesty buyout unless Nonis is stupid. Gomez and Redden were about avoiding injury because of future years on the contact, they gained nothing this year. If Connolly gets injures he's off contract and it is not
TO's problem.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad