Sportsnet: Tim and Sid Thread

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Somewhat related question.

How far below the cap floor would actual salaries have to get before the league deemed it cap circumvention?

) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.

If we start buying up insured contracts and roll out a team that costs 45 mil on a 60 mil cap floor is that circumvention?

Teams have circumvented the cap floor before.

I'd imagine it would take years of the Senators doing it before the league took issue.

It will be difficult to stay below the cap floor with the amount of good young players coming off their ELCs. It would require the Senators trading players like Chabot at the end of their ELC....

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Havent watched it yet, but i assumr the fatter one gets fake angry and yells at the camera a bunch?

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
Didn't watch the clip. Are they saying Ottawa is cheating on the floor? Doesn't seem to be a concern when teams cheat on the cap. Why now? Maybe cause it's Ottawa? I too think Dorion is in way over his head but am surprised he is getting criticized for finally rebuilding. Everyone agreed it was the right thing to do when Pittsburg, Chicago, Tampa and Toronto did it!
As for Boucher, he should have been gone long ago and I am glad he won't be around our prospects anymore.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Here is what the league needs to do:

Set up so the buyer who wanted to pay $400M, but was rebuffed, and now realizes that a talent-free team with no community standing is worth about $300M, buys 50.1% of the team for $300M, with ScrooEuge keeping 49.9% of some non-participating shares (preferred or some other nonsensical ownership entity shares), so the league can say look, the new majority owner would have paid almost $600M if they bought the whole team in this deal.

The arrangement, in undisclosed details, is that the new owners can buy ScrooEuge out for his 49.9% over a short period of time for virtually nothing, and there is nothing ScrooEuge can do to stop it.

Optically the league saves face on franchise value, ScrooEuge is gone, attendance doesn't sit at 8,000 a game next year because people are willing to watch bad, bad hockey for a while to support a new owner, and the new owner invests in a winner, Alfie comes back etc. etc.. The team is instantly restored to credibility, and can probably get in on the next LeBreton deal.

And the sweetener for ScrooEuge: some sort of free liquor for life provision in deal that allows him to drown his sorrows and blame everybody but himself until he craps out in the islands in a cesspool of bitterness and no shame sometime soon.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Here is what the league needs to do:

Set up so the buyer who wanted to pay $400M, but was rebuffed, and now realizes that a talent-free team with no community standing is worth about $300M, buys 50.1% of the team for $300M, with ScrooEuge keeping 49.9% of some non-participating shares (preferred or some other nonsensical ownership entity shares), so the league can say look, the new majority owner would have paid almost $600M if they bought the whole team in this deal.

The arrangement, in undisclosed details, is that the new owners can buy ScrooEuge out for his 49.9% over a short period of time for virtually nothing, and there is nothing ScrooEuge can do to stop it.

Optically the league saves face on franchise value, ScrooEuge is gone, attendance doesn't sit at 8,000 a game next year because people are willing to watch bad, bad hockey for a while to support a new owner, and the new owner invests in a winner, Alfie comes back etc. etc.. The team is instantly restored to credibility, and can probably get in on the next LeBreton deal.

And the sweetener for ScrooEuge: some sort of free liquor for life provision in deal that allows him to drown his sorrows and blame everybody but himself until he craps out in the islands in a cesspool of bitterness and no shame sometime soon.
I think you're cuckoo for cocoa puffs. lol

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Teams have circumvented the cap floor before.

I'd imagine it would take years of the Senators doing it before the league took issue.

It will be difficult to stay below the cap floor with the amount of good young players coming off their ELCs. It would require the Senators trading players like Chabot at the end of their ELC....

Yeah, more of a hypothetical. Nobody cares if it’s 5-10 mil. But what if it was 20-30. Arizona does it because they simply don’t have the rev. If Melnyk were to do it to make money....

Not actually saying this is how far he’ll go.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I certainly didn't notice a big rush of guys saying how much they loved Boucher and how sorry they are that he got canned. I kind of thought that Andy might do that, but he definitely didn't.

Andy is following Boro's lead. Be a good company man and you'll get another NHL contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad