Sportsnet: Tim and Sid Thread

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
yeah, watched that last night..epic.

I think this is the kind of stuff moving forward that we need to see more of if we have any hope of having the NHL step in and make a change as far as Melnyk is concerned.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
yeah, watched that last night..epic.

I think this is the kind of stuff moving forward that we need to see more of if we have any hope of having the NHL step in and make a change as far as Melnyk is concerned.

As they said, I am sure it is happening now. How much the league can do is very critical.

I am sure the NHL has been in there since the Lebreton mediation.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Something happened between last game and yesterday's practice. Dorion did say a few weeks ago that he thought it was unfair to rate coaches performance mid season but here we are.

Reactions: Clayonator

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Somewhat related question.

How far below the cap floor would actual salaries have to get before the league deemed it cap circumvention?

) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.

If we start buying up insured contracts and roll out a team that costs 45 mil on a 60 mil cap floor is that circumvention?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Something happened between last game and yesterday's practice. Dorion did say a few weeks ago that he thought it was unfair to rate coaches performance mid season but here we are.

Probably just Melnyk stepping in. He was probably drunk in Barbados and called up Dorion telling him to fire Boucher.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Great rant from Sid.

I wish he would have completely let loose.

It seems sportsnet has taken the gloves off. Maybe they finally realize, like a lot of other media should, that you won’t get anything of value in the limited access the Sens are offering in exchange for not criticizing.

All the official breaking stuff comes from Garrioch and they don’t really give other interviews so what is there to lose?

Speaking of Garrioch, I think at this point he should turn in his credentials and just become director of comms for the Sens. What he’s doing is not journalism.

Somewhat related question.

How far below the cap floor would actual salaries have to get before the league deemed it cap circumvention?

) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.

If we start buying up insured contracts and roll out a team that costs 45 mil on a 60 mil cap floor is that circumvention?

Arizona has been doing it for years. That won’t be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

I mean they traded for Pronger’s contract even though he was working at the league office at the time.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I enjoyed this piece and agree Bettman has got to be involved by now if he wasn't already during the Lebreton mediation.

I got to think the only scenario is they got a buyer on hold until after the Seattle expansion. Worst case scenario is relocation but I can't imagine Bettman wants Melnyk involved with any team whatsoever after this.

Edit: On another note, the Lebreton talks have been tame compared to the recent changes, although I guess we had some time to expect the deal was off the table. Melnyk just giving us something else to focus on.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean they traded for Pronger’s contract even though he was working at the league office at the time.

These are juncture points where how much people like you matter. Everyone involved in the NHL wants Arizona to succeed, so they'll let things like that slide.

Nobody likes Melnyk, so maybe people don't turn a blind eye.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
I hate their Toronto faces but they aren't wrong.

I avoided these guys like the plague for that reason, but once you start watching you realize Tim and Sid are actually hilarious. They usually have an unbiased view on things

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Defintely. Here's my guess on what went down:

Dorion enters the room and berates players saying they can do better and stop making excuses.

Boucher stands up for the players and says "Excuses!?! How do you want us to win with a team that was decimated at the trade deadline? You made those moves, Pierre! You should have planned better! You come in here looking to deflect the blame!? Go shuffle up a gum tree, you ignorant fool!

Walking papers given.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Save us Bettman! Deport Melnyk back to Barbados!!

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Defintely. Here's my guess on what went down:

Dorion enters the room and berates players saying they can do better and stop making excuses.

Boucher stands up for the players and says "Excuses!?! How do you want us to win with a team that was decimated at the trade deadline? You made those moves, Pierre! You should have planned better! You come in here looking to deflect the blame!? Go shuffle up a gum tree, you ignorant fool!

Walking papers given.
If that transpired it would be odd for Anderson to kind of throw Boucher under the bus after he got fired.

Reactions: DrEasy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I certainly didn't notice a big rush of guys saying how much they loved Boucher and how sorry they are that he got canned. I kind of thought that Andy might do that, but he definitely didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad